New "Black Label" injector blades from Supply?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

New "Black Label" injector blades from Supply?

Post by Pauldog »

My recollection is that Supply sold unlabeled Personna injector blades to go with the injector razors they make. They're the size of the old Schick injector razors, unlike the wider razors like the Cobra that use Artist Club size blades.

These new injector blades they're now offering are Japanese, and come in a black dispenser I've never seen before:
https://supply.co/blogs/journal/meet-th ... bel-blades

Does anyone know more about them, such as who makes them? Are there any other possibilities besides Kai or Feather? The only Japanese blade I knew of that fit the old Schick injector razors was the Schick Proline B-20.
CMur12

Re: New "Black Label" injector blades from Supply?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Paul -

I e-mailed Supply and asked about the manufacturer of these blades. I, too, was wondering if they were repackaged Schick Proline B-20 blades. Supply would only tell me that they weren't the Proline blades.

Japanese blades tend to be pretty good, so I am hopeful about these. Will we finally have some truly good Injector blades as an option?

I contributed to a Supply Kickstarter project to introduce a couple of new injector razors. The products are supposed to ship around Feb 2022. I ordered some of the new blades to come with the razors, but the blades are available for purchase now. The black injector cassette looks just like the white one currently used for ASR blades.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm going to guess they're made by Feather, because the blades are "from the world-famous steel working capital of Seki City, Japan." Feather has a factory there, and Kai does not. Seki seems to be like Sheffield or Solingen as a center for blade making.

Or it's another manufacturer.

I couldn't find a current version, but at one time Feather did make Schick type injector razors and blades.
Old Feather Injector Razor.jpg
Old Feather Injector Razor.jpg (179.58 KiB) Viewed 5717 times
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

While at the Feather website, I stumbled on this little video:
https://youtu.be/Wu05VY_z4Gw
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I contributed to a Supply Kickstarter project
going totally off topic, but curious to know how you find out about these sorts of campaigns. thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice video :shock: :shock: :shock:
:D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Couldn't locate a current Kickstarter project from Supply. It must have expired. Hoping to read Murray's reviews of the new product when he has used them. Regarding the razors, the Supply website shows a picture of one of their razors showing one of the heads with a comb. But when I tried to get more information from the website, no mention of the comb is made. Do any of us have more information on this version? I'd be interested in finding out how well they perform so I can compare it to my General (no comb).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I did a Google search for "supply razor kickstarter" and it came up. They are going to make two new razors, the Supply Pro (adjustable) and the Supply SE (has a finned bar, not actually open combed). It is billed as a mild razor for beginners. Lots of info on the kickstarter site. Hope that helps.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks. I see it now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 am
I contributed to a Supply Kickstarter project
going totally off topic, but curious to know how you find out about these sorts of campaigns. thanks

clive
Clive, I have bought a number of products from Supply, so I am on their e-mail list and I get all the news.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

that was easy! :D
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Just to recap - is Feather our only guess so far for these blades? I feel only semi-confident about it, but feel fairly confident that it's not Kai.

There may be someone at this forum who knows who makes what in Seki City, Japan, but that doesn't mean they're reading this. I remember corresponding years ago with JimR (Jim Rion), who was in Japan at the time. I looked him up, and he hasn't been around since mid-2019:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57158&p=693744#p693744
pausted

Post by pausted »

There is another possibility. NRK is a company that I understand makes AC blades for Proshave and Kamisori. My info comes from posts I have seen on another forum. I have used Kamisori blades in my Colonial General and remember them being quite good.

The only reason that I don’t think they are made by Feather is that I have never heard that Feather made blades for sale by any other brands. They are like Gillette in that regard. They protect their brand name. Just my opinion.
Best regards,

Basil
JimR

Post by JimR »

Hello gentlemen, long time and all that.

Paul contacted me about this, and it is interesting.
Feather does have a factory in Seki.
Other razor-related factories I found there include Nikken and Nippon Riki.
https://www.nikkenkamisori.co.jp/
https://www.nippon-riki.co.jp/

Both do OEM manufacture, as well as custom blade sizes, and I would guess they could do the injector packaging?

Kai does have a complex in Seki, including a listing for their razor division, but I can't tell if it's purely administrative or if there's a razor factory there, too.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to see you out and about. :D

from the riki site, would luv to try one of these and the blades that go along:

also, found this while wandering around the websites you posted:
https://goodsofjapan.com/products/nose- ... -10-pieces

never seen anything like here in the usa and it has to be better than the electric cutters which hardly last longer than a few uses....off topic but it wouldnt surprise me if 99% of the reviews on amazon etc for these devices were fake

thanks!!!!!!

clive
BPman

Post by BPman »

I just received an 8 pck. mag of these Black Label injector blades and am one shave in so far. Supply refuses to say who makes these for them and in an e-mail went so far as to say only their CEO knows the source. :roll: :^o

The first shave was with the new B&M Omnibus base soap so I did all I could do to "help" the blade which I loaded into a Schick G Model injector. Note however that the black plastic mag. that the blades come in is WORTHLESS!! Plastic "tongue" won't work worth a damn. I had to xfer one blade to an empty "Chick" mag that I use for this purpose. The shave was neither great nor bad. To me it shaved just like a new Personna. Now that was just one shave and I shall try again in a few days. However, I can say that it is not as smooth as a "Chick" or a Proline B20 on the first shave assuredly.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Oh, well, anticlimax. And I suppose this confirms these aren't from Feather. I definitely like the Schick Proline B-20's, so I'll guess I'll stick with those and whatever other Schick and Personna blades I have on hand.

Plastic tongue on an all-plastic pack? Really!

In an ideal world, the Proline blades would also come in the standard American Schick dispenser, at least the B-20's.

Thanks for making an appearance, Jim. I'm glad I remembered enough to be able to contact you after all this time.
brothers

Post by brothers »

BPman, I hope you will pass along your negative experience to the folks over at Supply. It would be interesting to find out how they will handle such a glaring weakness connected to their Supply brand. I'm guessing there is a cost differential between a plastic tongue and a metal one. How much does a dissatisfied customer cost! :oops: If you request your money back, it'll get some attention!

Hello Jim! It's great to see you posting again. Best regards! :D
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

2nd shave today and the same results: shaves like a Personna to my face.

I am not going to say anything more to Supply as I am sure they already know. Didn't they get a cash infusion from a "Shark Tank" investor? Oh well, I never thought their injector razor was a good design anyway. Too bulky & brutish and I had thought their sales tanked as well? :|

Who is Jim? :-k

brothers

Post by brothers »

JimR is the SMF member who posted two posts before yours recently, he lived (probably still does) in Japan and used to be a very active member here at SMF about eight or ten years ago.
Gary