Feather Portable

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Feather Portable

Post by fallingwickets »

Ive been using a feather portable for the past week. Absolutely luving it....it seems to be the perfect razor for me. I dont know why it took me so long to unbox and use it. Now the dilemma. Rumour has it that this model was discontinued a long time ago and that Pauldog managed to find a supply that he sold at a reasonable price. Anyway, if any of you gents know where I can buy a few of these ( we ALWAYS need spares :D :D :D :D ) or can suggest a razor with similar specs I would really appreciate the help

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Feather Portable

Post by Pauldog »

I ran out years ago. A few years ago, I discovered how much they were selling for on eBay, and sold the one I was using.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I just checked....$199

I like mine too much to sell. The parker 96 arrived yesterday and I used it today....handle is much too long for me and so im going to try the 87R and also go back to the razorrock site and take a look around to see if they have something similar to the the feather

clive
pausted

Post by pausted »

Clive, after doing a little bit of research, it seems to me that the Portable was sort of a Gillette Tech clone. I’ve never seen one but the ebay picture looks kinda like a Tech. Have you compared those two razors? Might be a fairly close match.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Basil, the Feather Portable is a fairly aggressive razor, while the Gillette Tech is very mild.

Clive, let me look around. I might have a Feather Portable that you can have. If I find it, I'll mail it to you after the New Year.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Basil....after going down one too many rabbit holes, Ive come to believe that the tech isn't close enough to warrant a purchase.

Murray, thanks so much for the generous offer. Ive had mine in a box unopened for a really long time and it would have stayed there if the muehle hadnt broken for the umpteenth time. Of course only i would fall in luv with a razor that has long been discontinued and cant be found anywhere for less than a kings ransom :D :D

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, I'm not sure if I read that the razor is aggressive and never tried it, or if I used it once and determined it wasn't for me. At any rate, it's essentially new, in the box, and with the included Feather blades. (Oh yeah; I found it.)

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:10 pm :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just checked....$199

Then it's gotten much crazier from what I thought was already pretty silly. Isn't that in the nosebleed territory of a prototype Fatboy Gillette adjustable, where the adjuster is at the bottom of the handle? Or is that more like $500+?

Too bad the Rolls razors I still have aren't catching on that way. If anything, they've declined in value. At least I didn't spend much on them.

Who would have thought razors that were moderately priced in the recent past would now rival some of the hottest growth stocks as investments?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Too bad the Rolls razors I still have
do you have a store or similar we can shop from?

thanks
clive
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I've been doing my selling here through private messages. I also list things on eBay, but right now that's just Gillette Sensors, Schick injector razors, and non-shaving stuff.

I've got a lot of stuff I haven't gotten around to selling, mostly injector and DE razors/blades, and occasionally someone looking for something sends me a message.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've been doing my selling
good to know...thanks for the reply

clive
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Welcome in club!

Feather Portable is my no1 razor closely followed by Pils. Had been using both exclusively for good part of last 4 years

Had 3 portable but gifted 2 of them. I regret not keeping 1 spare too. When I bought them I paid £10 each
Jack
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Jack. I took a look at the pils site....the handle wouldnt work for me. Glad to read that you have a decent feather alternative! :)

clive
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

I reset my password today to login after almost 5 years

The reason- I used my Feather Portable today after many years. I bought it from Pauldog when he had stock for like 11 bucks shipped ? I don't remember but I saw the prices on ebay today. 😳 $199 plus shipping from Japan !

I am glad to have joined back. ☺
Last edited by beyboo on Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome back.....how did you like using the feather again? Every time i shave with the feather i want to kick myself for waiting so long to use it...best shaving Ive ever had

clive
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:19 am welcome back.....how did you like using the feather again? Every time i shave with the feather i want to kick myself for waiting so long to use it...best shaving Ive ever had

clive
I hear you ! =D>

When I bought my first copy from Pauldog in 2010, it was just another razor as it was a great bargain price and made of nickel coated brass. I wanted something better than a Gillette Tech in aggression. I bought a few more after my first week of shaves as I loved it so much. I had lost many razors to Zamak rot and was aware this was the last stock at sane prices. This razor has its unique character. I need to adjust the cap as the blade has wiggle room to make both sides evenly exposed, but I am used to setting it right without any hassles. It is a non-issue really.

Each time I pick up this razor now, I feel this regret for not having it in my regular rotation. Just like the older fatip razors, now they are called Mark 1 razors. CNC milled Stainless steel and brass razors have flooded the market since and spoilt us for choices - and they are fantastic designs. It is indeed a buyers market today, but a few dollars spent on a simple boar brush a cheap shave soap like Williams or Arko and a great razor like the Feather Portable or a fatip or the older Cadet razors is all it takes to get fantastic shaves for life !

Alas Williams Mug shave Soap has finally bit the dust, just like Tallow Tabac, Tallow Speick, Tallow Haslinger and some other great soaps abounding a decade ago :(
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

When I was selling this razor over 10 years ago, I never thought the price would get so silly in the future.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Do we credit the high cost of the Feather Portable to the fact it may be discontinued, or is it just inflation and still being manufactured? Either way, it makes me regret that I never tried it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, discontinued
ateace

Post by ateace »

Resurrecting this thread.
Pauldog, thanks for your generosity all those years ago. I took advantage of your offer and bought two Portables from you. I see the crazy prices they're charging on eBay. I can't imagine anybody coughing up that kind of cash.
Good to see you and a few of the "oldtimers" still here.