A Gem of A Razor

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
BullGoose
Vendor

A Gem of A Razor

Post by BullGoose »

We received a shipment from Shield razors earlier this week that includes their new titanium Gem razor as well as a restock of the titanium artist club razors in both a matte finish and a polished finish. Shield Razors has taken the wet shaving world by storm with their highly affordable CNC machined titanium razors. While Titanium razors usually command upwards of $300.00, these are offered at a fraction of that price -$160.00 for their matte finished titanium razors and $180.00 for their polished titanium razors. They even include a stand! 

Titanium is an excellent material for razors for several reasons including lighter weight, non-reactivity, durability and imperviousness to corrosion. There is a reason that titanium is the preferred material for orthopedic procedures.

Both models of Shield Razors are excellent shavers that I would categorize as mid aggressive. While they are efficient shavers, they do not bite and they provide an extremely smooth and comfortable shave. There is a bit of blade feel but just enough to give you the feedback that you need without causing any irritation. 

While I am sometimes described as an Enabler, you will not regret adding one (or both) of these razors to your quiver. It will become a regular member of your rotation and very well may become your favorite razor of all time

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: A Gem of A Razor

Post by drmoss_ca »

'Tis true that titanium might be used in, say, a hip prosthesis. Most, though, are cobalt-chromium-molybdenum alloys. with small amount of manganese, silicon, nickel, iron and carbon. Pretty much like a good quality spanner/wrench when you think about it, except for the noteworthy lack of iron/steel as a major component. Best recycle me after cremation and turn me into car batteries, or something.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:11 pm 'Tis true that titanium might be used in, say, a hip prosthesis. Most, though, are cobalt-chromium-molybdenum alloys. with small amount of manganese, silicon, nickel, iron and carbon. Pretty much like a good quality spanner/wrench when you think about it, except for the noteworthy lack of iron/steel as a major component. Best recycle me after cremation and turn me into car batteries, or something.
Interesting. Would cobalt-chromium-molybdenum alloys be suitable for a machined razor? Machine shops (at least the ones that I have used) usually don't have a ton of options. I wanted to use cobalt steel for one of my razors but, they shot it down.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Those alloys are chosen because of wear resistance: they need to be very hard and machined to absolute perfection, otherwise they wear out surprisingly quickly. That's why metal-on-metal joints are relatively rare now, with most total hips being a metal ball in a polythene socket. Hemiarthroplasties, where the ball of the femoral head is replaced after a fracture are still metal and sit in your own bony acetabulum. But if you are doing a replacement for aryhritis you have to replace both ball and socket.
Knee replacements are usually metal on metal, and this is why they last around ten years, whereas you can get twenty out of a hip (which bears the same weight and has a greater range of motion.)

You could certainly make a razor out of these hard alloys. It would be more difficult to machine and cost a lot more, but for little benefit to the user. A stainless razor does all that's needed and is easier to make. I have to admit though, it would be cool to have a razor made of inconel!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace