Discontinued? - Crabtree & Evelyn Almond Oil line

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I got the same message. Is it a possibility that the calls and emails were flooding them and they decided maybe they would wait on killing it off? I'll take credit for that as I send an email and called so my voice counted twice. No need to thank me for saving this great product. Having it arround is thanks enough.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So now, all we need worry about is stocking up on product while the pricing is good.

jww
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A reply to my reply:

"I have just spoken to the Product Development Department and they said
the Almond Oil Shave Cream in the pot and the refill are being retired.
I do have some good news that they will continue to carry the Almond Oil
Shave Cream in the Tube.

I hope this helps. I have taken your name and forwarded it on to our
Marketing Department to let them know that you would like to see it
stay. We have had alot of responses and have forwarded them all on to
them. I hope you will enjoy the shave cream in the tube as much as you
did the shave cream in the pot. Have you ever tried the Nomad, Sienna
or Sandalwood? They are all the same formula just a different
fragrance.

If there is anything else that we can do for you, please let us know and
we will be happy to assist you."

So tubes not tubs. Better than nothing, but we should keep the mails going in so they can see how many customers are going to be really annoyed by this decision.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes. And if you and the others want to strengthen the pressure, be sure to mention that you don't use cream in tubes, nor like the other scents ( even if it isn't true ). These people's hope/assumption always is that the customers will just buy another of their products instead, not that they'll forsake the brand entirely....which does concern them, once they realize that that is what the customer intends. I always mention the other brands that I intend now to buy instead, to drive the point home. Good luck all.
Regards,
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Very unfortunate. In my opinion, the sweet almond oil soap was their best shaving medium, and an unqualified standout among soaps.

Other than the C&E Sandalwood EDT, I don't have any more shopping to do with them now.

I am, however, using QED soaps exclusively of late with great results, and I have a small rotation of English creams that I enjoy. I don't know whether Charles offers an almond soap, though; I don't recall seeing one on his site.
Doug
themonkey

Post by themonkey »

I, for one, can't be happier. Sweet Almond Oil killed my family and left me for dead. It made just one mistake: It let me live.

soulshine

Post by soulshine »

on a whim i went into a shop named "soaps & scents" at mayfair mall in milwaukee and had a horrible experince. it all began with me asking where the crabtree and evelyn products were & the sales woman corrected my pronunciation of the word "evelyn". it really seemed like an inconvenience to be shown where the offering were. i was reading the various packages and such for a few moments and she asked if i needed any help & i just let her know i wasn't finished looking at everything...she rolled her eyes and walked away. they had a ton of almond oil products there so i asked if they were being discontinued...the reply was "not that i know of, we have cases of it in the back." at this point i saw about 9-10 shave brushes just behind the counter so i asked if i could step over and check them out. her reply, "no - i can take out whatever brush you would like to see." i mentioned to her that i own three brushes & am on the lookout for a good brush to use with shave soap. i guess i would want to see all of them. she handed me a boar bristle brush and said that was the best brush they had & she suggests them to all her customers over the softer brushes marked silvertip....the bristle brushes are better because of they exfoliate more. at that point i gave up & walked out. i would have gladly spent a $100 or more on a brush, soaps & cream there.

s~s
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

So when do yiou plan on going back to buy the brush and cream.......lol

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
English

Post by English »

Very interesting posts.

In my opinion, C&E only sell one really good shaving product that matches the quality top end products and that is their almond oil soap. They used to sell the little puck in a very desirable antique style bowl. First they stopped selling the bowl which left many wondering what an unusual size the puck was.

Floris used to sell a No 89 soap. It also got cancelled.

Amazing how these traders don't know when they are selling quality.
Maybe they do and that's the problem, the product may cost too much to make and they don't make enough profit to keep on selling it.
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

ahahahaha :lol: . never!

s~s
e5f

Post by e5f »

Well isn't that strange. I was in contact with the Cdn. division and was told that they were getting rid of the older pots in plastic. These were the ones that were being sold for a discount. HOWEVER, the newer versions, in the glass tub, are NOT being discontinued. Apparently, C&E are trying to streamline all their product lines so that the almond oil would have the same lines of products as their other scents. Strange.

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

English, Keep an eye out in the Autumn, as there is some possibility that Floris may briefly bring back some of the No89 products for the Holidays this year. I too think that their No89 shave soap was superb.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Gordon,

Where do you get the No89 Floris shave soap? Also, are there any other soaps that compare to the C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap?

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I'd recommend the Valobra soft Almond soap as an Almond substitute
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

e5f wrote:Well isn't that strange. I was in contact with the Cdn. division and was told that they were getting rid of the older pots in plastic. These were the ones that were being sold for a discount. HOWEVER, the newer versions, in the glass tub, are NOT being discontinued. Apparently, C&E are trying to streamline all their product lines so that the almond oil would have the same lines of products as their other scents. Strange.

Thanks,
Merlyn

As I told them on both the phone and in email. While I didn't like the price increase to go to what I thought was a worthless glass tub. I was encouraged because if they are rebranding the Sweet Almond Oil line then that may mean Sweet Almond Oil Shave Soap in the larger wood bowl size and with a wood bowl as well. Bring that in and I will be a happy guy!
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

C&E near me said they have 8 of the soap pucks and those are 30% off. The tubs are regular price. They also said they were repackaging and I specifically asked if they were discontinuing.

I may be able to pick some up in the next couple days so if anyone wants one PM and I will see about getting some extra.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gatorade wrote:
As I told them on both the phone and in email. While I didn't like the price increase to go to what I thought was a worthless glass tub. I was encouraged because if they are rebranding the Sweet Almond Oil line then that may mean Sweet Almond Oil Shave Soap in the larger wood bowl size and with a wood bowl as well. Bring that in and I will be a happy guy!
I also hope that they bring in the Almond soap in a wooden bowl with the same size as their other soaps.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

From what I can tell, it simply looks like C&E are going through a re-packaging run. They have done it before, and will likely do it again. I guess glass looks better than plastic. For a real laugher, one C&E associate told me once that their glass jars were especially formulated glass that is coated so it doesn't shatter when you drop it on the floor. So - who wants to volunteer to test if that works? :mrgreen:

jww
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jww wrote:From what I can tell, it simply looks like C&E are going through a re-packaging run. They have done it before, and will likely do it again. I guess glass looks better than plastic. For a real laugher, one C&E associate told me once that their glass jars were especially formulated glass that is coated so it doesn't shatter when you drop it on the floor. So - who wants to volunteer to test if that works? :mrgreen:

jww
I bet it still hurts just as much if you drop it on your foot. I have nightmares about the handle on my moss scuttle breaking and me on crutches.

I suppose C&E can charge more this way. Is the volume the same on the glass jars than the plastic tubs?
Richard
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

rustyblade wrote:I suppose C&E can charge more this way. Is the volume the same on the glass jars than the plastic tubs?
No, there is less int he glass jars. I think the tubs are 165 gram and the jars are 150 grams.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!