OK, I'M DESPERATE!!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
InjuryLaw

OK, I'M DESPERATE!!

Post by InjuryLaw »

The Saville Row brush I want is backordered and I may not get it for a month. But I'm sick of trying to lather by hand. Has anybody ever tried one of those Surrey boar bristle brushes from Walgreens or CVS? Will it just absolutely suck?
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I used one on vacation. Worked fine for me. Not as good as a badger, mind you, but passable.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sage

Post by Sage »

Get that to tide you over, and then order the group brush. Can use the cheapo on vacations and such. Also, if you have a Bigelows or anything similar in the area, they sell better brushes too.

Andy
growler

Post by growler »

It will tide you over, yes.

Though see if you can find somewhere that sells Baxter's products. They make a low-grade badger brush that goes for about 20 dollars.
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Re: OK, I'M DESPERATE!!

Post by guenron »

InjuryLaw wrote:The Saville Row brush I want is backordered and I may not get it for a month. But I'm sick of trying to lather by hand. Has anybody ever tried one of those Surrey boar bristle brushes from Walgreens or CVS? Will it just absolutely suck?
Without sounding snippy, the brush you use is really an issue of many things, not the least of which is your skin type. Boar is just fine, short-term, if your facial skin can handle it. Are you near a Crabtree & Evelyn store? For $35 you can pick up a good, small Edwin Jagger Best Bager brush at C&E. You can use it for a spare, travel, dusting electronic components, whatever after you receive your Savile Row.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Well, I have very sensitive skin that is prone to razor burn and irritation. Will the boar brush tear me up? Not sure where to look for Baxter's but I'll check around. As for the C&E brush, at that price point I'll just have to suffer until my $58 SR brush comes in.

Does Muhle-Pinsel make a decent brush?
lint

Post by lint »

if you pickup a board brush as a temp, hit it a few times in the shower with some hair conditioner. it will significantly soften up the bristles and make it more manageble.

Nowhere near as soft as badger, but for the time being, itll get you through.

todd
guenron

What can I say?

Post by guenron »

InjuryLaw wrote:Well, I have very sensitive skin that is prone to razor burn and irritation. Will the boar brush tear me up? Not sure where to look for Baxter's but I'll check around. As for the C&E brush, at that price point I'll just have to suffer until my $58 SR brush comes in.

Does Muhle-Pinsel make a decent brush?
I was looking into a Muhle-Pinsel horn handled brush and asked the same question. I saw a thread in Wet Shavers dealing with that question and the answer was that there were some failures. Now what does that mean? It means that I have enough other sources of goods that I will not complicate my life unnecessarily with an MP.
Regards,
Ron

rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I actually preferred my $12.00 Tweezerman Badger brush to the Omega I had. It was much softer. That may be something you can pick up locally. It is small, but it got me started!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
mike

Post by mike »

I have a Muhle-Pinsel brush with a 21mm knot as well as a Vulfix 2236 with a 26mm knot. I particularly like the M-P when using soaps. For some reason its smaller knot size allows me to get a very consistent great lather without much effort. I use both brushes regularly and enjoy both. The Vulfix provides a more luxurious shave, but not necessarily better shave, than the M-P.

mike
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

IL: I haven't used the Surrey brush, but how bad could it be for $6 (here at CVS - saw it yesterday)? You need a brush to succeed with your Proraso. Do it. Best, John.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Surrey Brushes SUCK! I bought one for a trip when i forgot my brush (Don't ask), and It has a giant glob of glue in the center of the brush. It dumps water even more than my burma shave brush did. It was like shaving with a porqupine! That went into the trash without even trying to finish lathering!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
guenron

Post by guenron »

clownjuggles wrote:Surrey Brushes SUCK! I bought one for a trip when i forgot my brush (Don't ask), and It has a giant glob of glue in the center of the brush. It dumps water even more than my burma shave brush did. It was like shaving with a porqupine! That went into the trash without even trying to finish lathering!
Hmmm. Now what did you say were their fine points? :)
Regards,
Ron

InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

I went over to Marshall Field's today and picked up a decent little badger brush made by Muhle-Pinsel for only $20. The handle is some plastic tortoise shell thing, but overall it actually doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it will give me an idea of how all this stuff is supposed to work.

I'll go get the hot pot this weekend - this shaving thing is gettting totally out of control with all this equipment!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hear! Hear! Joel is right. It's only "out of control" from the perspective of disposibles and cans of Edge ( and even they cost more then you think, over a period of time ). ' Injury Law' is your handle, you are a lawyer then? Please! $58 for a genuinely good brush, is a steal. $20 for something useable to tide you over is nothing. Pshaw! How much is a good pair of properly made shoes? Or a dinner out for two?, or a single bottle of wine that's gone in one night? What about GOLF, for God's sake!? ( glad, I'm not into that one ). I think you made the best choice for an interum brush, it will at least work properly, and shouldn't annoy your skin. I used a boar bristle brush for about eight years, but it was a good boar bristle brush, that cost as much as the little badger number that you just picked up. When I switched to a badger brush, it was one of those 'Ah ah!' experiances. Now, Chris F. or Peter, those guys ARE out of control, ( not me though, I can stop any time I want...I just don't want to...hmmm ), but you've got a very long way to go to get to that. Regards, Gordon
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

UPDATE - As I posted in another thread, this cheapo badger turned out to be a complete success! I finally understand the allure of the whole brush-and-cream process.

P.S., This little brush actually does a pretty nice job! Maybe the bristles could be a little softer, but it's no big deal.