I have found a cologne that rocks - Serge Lutens Fumerie Tur

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

I have found a cologne that rocks - Serge Lutens Fumerie Tur

Post by Sam »

I am getting a bottle of this magic elixir. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. That is, if it comes to America. You can only get it in his shop in Paris and they do not ship it to the US. It has a nice not too earthy or too florally Rose, yes, but nice, and a bit of smoke. I have had it on for a half hour and it is going great on the back of my hand. I dont know if I am trading or selling my Lutens Chergui, but I am so weak now that I might just do it. Gotta be careful, as I have some Malle Musk and SL Ambre Sultan coming in vials.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Yeah, but can you say it fast 3 times in a row?
Richard
ARenaissanceMan

Re: I have found a cologne that rocks - Serge Lutens Fumerie

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Sam wrote:I am getting a bottle of this magic elixir. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. That is, if it comes to America. You can only get it in his shop in Paris and they do not ship it to the US. It has a nice not too earthy or too florally Rose, yes, but nice, and a bit of smoke. I have had it on for a half hour and it is going great on the back of my hand. I dont know if I am trading or selling my Lutens Chergui, but I am so weak now that I might just do it. Gotta be careful, as I have some Malle Musk and SL Ambre Sultan coming in vials.
Ah, a man of fine taste. This is the best release of the year, hands down!

Good news though, it's being released stateside. Originally, it was supposed to be out in September, but now I'm hearing that may get pushed back.

I want this so bad I'm actually willing to pay full retail :lol:
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

clarkkent333 wrote:
Sam wrote:I am getting a bottle of this magic elixir. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. That is, if it comes to America. You can only get it in his shop in Paris and they do not ship it to the US. It has a nice not too earthy or too florally Rose, yes, but nice, and a bit of smoke. I have had it on for a half hour and it is going great on the back of my hand. I dont know if I am trading or selling my Lutens Chergui, but I am so weak now that I might just do it. Gotta be careful, as I have some Malle Musk and SL Ambre Sultan coming in vials.

Good news though, it's being released stateside. Originally, it was supposed to be out in September, but now I'm hearing that may get pushed back.

Where? Where? Where?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

rtaylor61 wrote:
clarkkent333 wrote:

Where? Where? Where?

Randy
Neiman Marcus. I don't know if only certain stores (NY, LA, etc) will get it or all will. I've also heard that Aedes might carry it along with some other net stores but I'm not sure of that.
yourmando

Post by yourmando »

Sam, I've gone through nearly the entire Serge Lutens line so far. I've worn Fumerie Turque a few times. Interesting stuff. I like it. So far, I like a couple from the SL line more, probably because they fit my arbitrary idea of a timeless, or even ancient scent. (I have already started buying full bottles).

The "turkish smoke" to me is not cigarettes, or burning wood, or any kind of incense. It could perhaps be sweet smelling herbal smoke from a Hookah pipe. I've smoked several types, and the smell can vary greatly. So that's stretching. What I really get in the beginning is a fair dose of the sweet smoke of burning rubber. Not like the harsh, realistic squealing tire beginning of Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia, but more along the lines of Bulgari Black. Kind of like an expensive car in a garage. A petroleum-like smoke that leans toward leather. Much better than it sounds.

After that, the smokiness recedes to the background and I get a nice blend of gourmand spice notes, a bit of leather and tobacco, amber resins, vanilla, and even a distinct nuttiness. These are just impressions. It's all one smooth blend. Perfect for lounging in your smoking jacket with your cuban cigar and 30 year old scotch, in a room with lots of leather and dark wood and Maralyn Monroe.

As with most of the Serge Lutens scents I have tried, the lasting power is great (all marked as EdP at least), the scent is rich, and it is quite complex. Also, the scent has continued to grow on me since my first try.

Armando
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

In the USA Fumerie Turque will be offered as part of the export line for a limtied time exclusively through Barneys NY. You will also be able to get it from a Vancouver shop at http://www.the perfumeshoppe.com. The owner is Nasreen and she ships to the US no problem.

My favorites from the SL line are Iris Silver Mist and Muscs Kublai Khan. I also have the new Mandarine Mandarin in transit.

Chris
yourmando

Post by yourmando »

Chris, interesting, our local Neiman Marcus is also expecting Fumerie Turque any day now. That's what they tell me. The woman who is responsible for Serge Lutens there, named Parvin, also told me she has a call with SL every evening, and that she would ask about getting me fragrances from their exclusive line. NM is usually more than willing to call me. I will let you know how that goes. Thanks for the tip on the Vancouver shop!

A couple favorites so far: Gris Clair (bought a bottle today from Parvin) and Borneo 1834. (I also very much like Encens de Lavande, but that heavenly lavender note doesn't last as long as I would like.)

Out of 25 or so SL samples I have, Iris Silver Mist is the one that I don't have and would really like to try. I've been on an Iris kick lately and purchased full beautiful bottles of The Different Company Bois d'Iris and Dior Homme. I think both are fantastic. From everything I have read and from personal communication with one of my decant providers, the Serge Lutens is the iris to get.

Muscs Kublai Khan--I had one short wearing of it before bed, so I need more time with it. It starts of rather, ahem, "dirty" and animalic (more like humanimalic), but seems to turn pleasant in a conventional sense in an hour or two. I'll definitly give it a closer look soon.

Armando
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Armando: Had I known, I had a tester of Iris Silver Mist I sent on to someone about 2 weeks ago. MKK, as you described, has been said to be one that people either love (touted as the sexiest cologne ever) or hate (people have said it is like cleaning a zoo animal's cage, lol). Gris Clair did smell very, very good as did the Lavendar, but they were short-lived on me.

Fumerie, ah, I do not get the burning tire smell of Bulgari Black, but I will say my sniffer is not as acute as others, as I do not smell much by the way of Trumper's hard soaps, well, I can if I just set my nose on top of the cake. I get a rose scent. I had wanted to try the Borneo.

I have read what Chris Fisher stated, that it was to be a Barney's exclusive and was to be $110 for 1.7 ounces. Mid-October is the suppossed date, and I ordered two bell jar bottles from Lutens directly, that is if their website processed my card.

Sam
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I'll trade you a Feather Artist Club RG for it Sam. :D

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Sorry Tye, but I do want some Yerbamate and have a half bottle of MI to trade

Sam
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Armando:

Are you referring to NM here in San Francisco ? I've never found the SA's here at the SF NM to be worth much. None of them seem to be even reasonably educated on the lines they carry. The local Barneys will carry SL's export line when they open.

I guarantee you there is no retailer here in the USA that has access to the exclusive line of Serge Lutens. The distribution is well controlled and these fragrances/packages never make it out of the Paris Salon except for private party sellers on eBay and the like. I do know for certain that Barneys NY has the USA exclusive on the limited edition distribution of Fumerie Turque in the export packaging. I don't know if this is limited for a period of time before they make it available to all USA retailers or if it is for the entire duration. BTW, the Vancouver shop is http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com. This store has different "access" since they are not under the governance of the USA distributor for SL.

Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris: I ordered from the SL website and having it shipped to an English address. The only "situation" as it was concerned when they asked the country of my credit card and I could not use USA but England. They confirmed the order was placed, no confirmation number or anything like that, and said 4 to 8 days shipping. I guess I can call my credit card company to see if the charge went through?

Sam
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Sam:

This should work okay. The Salon (which has a website) will process orders and ship to EU addresses (but not outside the EU). It gets a bit expensive as you have to pay shipping twice but it does give you access.

Chris
yourmando

Post by yourmando »

Chris, yes, sadly, nearly all of the SA's at NM and most other places here do not know their own lines well. There is one newer SA in the Men's fragrance department, a gregarious French guy, who does know his scents--even far beyond what NM carries, including particulars about different formulations for the same Guerlain scent in different concentrations, which fragrances can only be bought in their Paris boutique, etc. He seems to have been in the industry for a long time with a genuine personal interest.

Yes, the 2 SL folks I talked to did not seem to know anything about the scents they don't carry, and I didn't ask them about the ones they do because I already had my own conclusions. Parvin's offer to ask headquarters about getting me exlusives was nice, but I have low hopes. The free shipping would be great if true. (They did load me up with 7 carded SL samples and a bunch of free stuff I won't use--a large, white patent leather cosmetics bag filled with cosmetics and fragrances that I have no doubt cost much more to make than the bottle I purchased.)

I'm sure I'll end up buying from the The Perfume Shoppe in the end. I have seen this site before in my searches. I just noticed they have a really good price on Black Aoud ~$151 USD/$170 CAD, but I haven't yet asked Tampa's Suravi about their discount.

(The SA's at the Diptyque boutique here are partucilarly good. The woman I talked to had all of the "company line" notes and key facts for their 15 or so perfumes memorized. Wasn't very experienced outside of their line, but that can be an expensive habit.)

Armando
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Armando, join Basenotes and Maisonstinky, the owner of Suravi, gives a discount and free shipping. He should be able to beat most any Montale price and he is generous with samples. Nice guy

Sam
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Neiman Marcus just opened a store in Charlotte, NC last week. I haven't visited it yet. It sounds to me like I better leave the America Express card home when I pay them a visit. I wonder if I can score some cologne samples? Sam I wish I could pronounce the names of those colognes you use.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tony: Yes, go and get all the samples they will give you. They have the Frederic Malle line and one I have wanted to try, and you should as well, is Noir Epices. Their Vetiver is said to be very nice

Sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tony: Yes, go and get all the samples they will give you. They have the Frederic Malle line and one I have wanted to try, and you should as well, is Noir Epices. Their Vetiver is said to be very nice

Sam
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sam wrote:Tony: Yes, go and get all the samples they will give you. They have the Frederic Malle line and one I have wanted to try, and you should as well, is Noir Epices. Their Vetiver is said to be very nice

Sam
Thanks Sam, I will try to get there soon and I let you know if I score anything.

TE
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.