Memphis is burning

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Memphis is burning

Post by Sam »

Todd had sent me an email asking me if my office was near that of the building that is burning in downtown Memphis. In fact, it is within a block of the building that is burning. I left the house at 6:30 a.m. or so to get to my office early and many streets were blocked off. The office building that is on fire is an older building that was being renovated. Windows were open and rubble I am sure was atop the roof and in the middle of the floors waiting to be disposed of. A church about 4 blocks away caught fire and it being a windy night, I am sure some flammable embers just got swept into the rubble and that building went ablaze.

Anyway, it was difficult to get near my office building but using wiles and guiles and a little charm with a police officer, I got to park in my building. I have motions at 9:00 a.m. and for attorneys who have to drive to the courthouse, I am curious to see if the judges will entertain the motions, delay the docket call to say 2:00 p.m., or if they will roll them one week. My motions are motions to compel, so it is not that the opposition can defend it all that much, just argue over how much of an extension they would be given. One, I'll give them 30 more days, but one I need answers real quick, as trial is November 1st.

Sam
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

I was just reading about that on CNN's website before I came here. I immediately thought of you, Sam. Shame about the old church.

Take care.
Gerald Martin
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thanks Gerald. Difficult thing is the lack of an information site for the Courts. I went to the Courthouse as my building is across the street from it, and security guards are not letting anyone in, though the court is in no danger of having fires spread to it. No one knows if motions are rolled over one week, or if they are doing them Monday. Not a problem when I have an attorney on the other side, but one of my motions involves a person representing himself, and I have no phone information to make a call. If the motions are Monday, and it is not publicized on TV and in the paper, I have no way to reach this person and a letter will be too late.

Sam
Bob

Post by Bob »

Glad to hear that you're safe, Sam.

The internet is a funny thing. I've never met Sam in all my life. Yet, the first thing I thought of this morning when I read about the fire, was whether it was close to Sam.

Good luck in motions court.
--Bob--