8 days and I still have a face, but........

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

8 days and I still have a face, but........

Post by fallingwickets »

my experience seems to be contrary too that of the many posters.

I have a miniature water heater so showering and shaving afterwards isn't going to happen in the near future. Instead, what I did was I lathered my face and left it while I shaved my head, then washed it off and lathered again. I followed the 3 pass system....n-s, s-n, e-w (?) Not bad, but not brilliant either. So I switched to the straight razor system that I found at gentlemans-shop.com (wet shaving - why bother). That was much better, but better yet was using a combo of both systems.

What I stopped doing the other day was getting my beard really moist. I found that when I just rinsed my face with hot water, lathered and then shaved, I had a much better shave. My theory is that by 'feeling' and 'hearing' the blade more acutely than when the beard is really soft, one takes it more slowly and therefore has a better shave.

Getting used to using the shoulder rather than the wrist to draw the blade across ones face takes getting used to, but it sure does make a huge difference. I've always used Taylors so lathering is old hat, but after flying across my head with the latest and greatest 20 blade (ok so I exaggerate a little, but it won't be long before there is such a contraption) Gillette it takes a moment or two to change technique and focus to shave the face with the DE.

Anyway, thanks to all the elders here who have paved the way for us newbies to have an excellent shaving experience sans a visit to the ER. I never thought that I would ever stand in front of the mirror at night and wish my beard was long enough to shave again!!
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, you're not alone... Our very own "Duke of Silvertip" Gordon does the same as do some others. I've tried both ways and I find I need to soak for quite a while before attempting a shave unless I want bad things to happen. :shock: It's all part of discovering the best way for you to shave. The main thing is that you enjoy it!

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
vespergo

Post by vespergo »

is there enough hot water to take a shower with? if so then you probably can get by with shaving after the shower. i plug the sink and let it fill with hot water while i'm soaking the brush in the water (no extra water needed). then use this water to wash the razor in when it fills with cream/soap. it hardly uses any water at all.

the only other water that i use is a couple splashes in between passes to rinse. so practically no more water is necessary than a normal shower, unless the water is already getting cold when you shower... then that could be a problem.
Josh
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

unless the water is already getting cold when you shower.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep......Worse than a girl. Stand there having a beer or two working on the lobster look! :lol:

The shower isn't a big deal since I don't enjoy the shave as much as I do when the beard isn't so soaked.

Thanks for the tip though.

Clive