Help me choose a brush!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
lovetoshave

Help me choose a brush!

Post by lovetoshave »

Hey guys,
Trying to decide between the following brushes:

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=323

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=768

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shopping/p ... ductID=769

I currently use both an Omega Boar and a T&H Turnback brush. I find the Turnback(Super) to be a bit soft and I think I'd prefer a slightly scrubbier feel in the shave. However, I haven't tried a 'silver-tip' brush like the Caswell Massey is advertised to be(unless the T&H is silvertip) so I was thinking about that one.

Thanks!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I think you could get a Vulfix or a Rooney and get a better brush for the money. IMO.
Banihex

Post by Banihex »

Be careful with the first Caswell-Massey brush, it isn't a silvertip, it is a super badger.

I think it is a typo on the websites part, bc I just bought this brush and it says "super badger" on the side.

John
timc

Post by timc »

Banihex wrote:Be careful with the first Caswell-Massey brush, it isn't a silvertip, it is a super badger.
:?: What's the difference?
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Is it my Becks induced imagination, or do those CM brushes have no specs to them?

I would buy a Rooney instead. Check out vintage blades, they're having a small sale and the Jim is a good dude who will take excellent care of you.

Clive
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Unless you need to spend out a gift certificate, I'd recommend one of the more traditional brushmakers. Caswell Massey rebrands from one of them-- nobody knows who, really, and if someone does figure it out, there's no guarantee that Caswell Massey won't change their arrangement.

It's not that the CM brushes are bad-- they probably very good, but its hard to tell just which brushes they are, which makes it hard to advise. Also, the prices don't look that attractive.
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Yeah, I received a $100 gift certificate over Christmas, so I'm looking on something to spend it on and a brush seems to be the order of the day!

I don't mind spending all $100 if the extra large badger or the Super look like good brushes(or if anyone has experience with them) otherwise I could buy the $60 brush and get some other little things from there...
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

By all means, then, your top link. The others are really not very good deals, being pure badger, which is the lowest grade.
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

ScottS wrote:By all means, then, your top link. The others are really not very good deals, being pure badger, which is the lowest grade.
I am a little torn because I was thinking about getting a scrubbier brush and the pure seemed like it would do that best but that Super also looks nice...
Banihex

Post by Banihex »

I just bought the CM Super brush.

I love it, works a great lather directly on my face. It is VERY soft.

John[/i]
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Banihex wrote:I just bought the CM Super brush.

I love it, works a great lather directly on my face. It is VERY soft.

John[/i]
Hey John,
So I'm guessing thats not a great choice if I'm looking for something a little scrubbier?
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I can’t vouch for the other CM brushes, but the CM super with the pewter handle is definitely a Vulfix #662 (see Classic Shaving). I own one and have had both side by side. They are identical. It is very soft, not scrubby, but quite nice, and capable of building great lather with creams. It’s likely not the ideal choice for “scrubby” and/or soaps. I use one daily; it performs well and is very well made, with no hair loss noted. BTW, it’s cheaper purchased from Classic Shaving than as a CM branded brush. In summary, a good brush.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Mantic. Just because you have that gift certificate does not mean that that should determine what shave brush you buy. The $100 could be spent on other useful things, over time. A Rooney Silvertip or Super or a Vulfix Super would be a better way to go, IMO. If you decide to go with C-M, either #1 or #2. I have examined both these brushes more then once. #1 is a Vulfix. It is medium sized, and has very flexible bristle. Being a Vulfix, it should be sturdy. #2 is probably a German brush. It is quite large, and reasonably dense, with decent bristle. Not a bad brush, really, from appearances at least. It is big though, so be aware of that. Best of luck.
Regards,
Gordon
levente

Post by levente »

Gordon,

As a newbie to this site, I hate to disagree, but the second CM brush (the large one) from what I recall is made in Italy. It IS quite large, though it seems well made. The first one, correctly identified as a rebadge(re)d Vulfix #662, is a super. At $85, it is more expensive than the price for the same brush at Classicshaving, but CM frequently runs sales for 20% off, making it an equivalent value.

Regards,

Basil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Basil, ( chuckle ) I did say "probably" German. It may well be Italian made. I'm not certain. I agree that it seems to be a pretty well made specimen based just on examination. It is a rather big sucker, though.
Regards,
Gordon
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

bernards66 wrote:I'm afraid that I have to agree with Mantic.
And we all know how difficult that is. :lol: 8)

--Mark
TakeTheCann0lis

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

I'm a huge fan of Caswell Massey's scents!

I love their Tricorn, Jockey Club, and Sandalwood. You may consider buying some cologne instead!

Also note they sell Roger & Gallett, and Musgo Real as well as their own line, if you wanted to try one of those now may be a good time.

Or these are some things I've had my eye on!
Razor/Brush Stand

I have this and Love the smell!

Your other option is to sell it!