Bay Area (CA) newbie with Qs

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
simpatico

Bay Area (CA) newbie with Qs

Post by simpatico »

I used a DE the first several years I shaved, switched to cartridges, and now am heading back to the DE world. Ordered me a Merkur HD, Feather blades, Taylor creams, and a boar brush (all from Cotton Blossom) to get me going.

I have a question for you shaving experts. Instead of having to reach online all the time I'd prefer to visit local stores (local is Bay Area (California), preferably around Palo Alto) to pick up the frequently used shaving necessities. E.g., Proraso creams, alum block, witch hazel, etc. Which stores stock them? which are recommended as best in value?

Also, badger brushes seem to cost an arm and a leg. I have trouble justifying to myself spending that much on a brush and pass no value judgment in that; to each his own and those that can afford or value them enough have my support in buying them for themselves. So, if I want an upgrade from the boar bristles and don't want to to the whole hog toward $40+ badger brushes, what would you suggest are my options? Ask someone travelling to/from China or India to get me a high quality brush as it may be cheaper there?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Proraso products are sold in Target stores, in the "spa" section (not among shaving supplies).

A badger brush for $35 is a good investment. It will last a long, long time. And the difference in shave is worth it.

If you're price sensitive, check out the Honeybee Spa shea-butter shaving soaps. At around $3 a puck, they're a great buy. The 3-puck sampler offers the best shipping deal. Try Moca-Coffee, Vanilla Oak, and Fresh Lemon, for example.

Mama Bear sells a good alum bar and a very nice little wooden rack for it. Look at the bottom of the shaving soap page.

I'm in Monterey, and I find that ordering online works best for me, but you might try some cutlery stores---they sometimes have shaving equipment.

Check out the blog at the link below for more info.
simpatico

Post by simpatico »

LeisureGuy, your blog was instrumental in guiding me to the shift back to DE and the choice (except for the brush!) of items I ordered.

I went to the Mountain View Target yesterday and couldn't find ProRaso at all, even in their spa section (which had foot massagers and electric shavers though) . In fact, even Target's web site doesn't mention ProRaso. What gives?

Are the Honeybee and Mama Bear products available at local stores? Only online?
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Simpatico,

Here are a few of the stores in the Palo Alto area that I've bought from:

I saw that the Target in Redwood City only had the Proraso shaving brush in stock. The other Proraso slots were empty. Perhaps they're discontinuing it.

Whole Foods in Palo Alto is a good source for Kiss My Face shaving cream and Thayer's witch hazel. I like the KMF Vanilla Earth and the Patchouli, but it's all good.

The Walgreen's in Palo Alto on El Camino near Arastradero stocks Van Der Hagen shaving soap for $1.89 (green box, pink soap). It's good stuff, and can be microwaved (on low... don't cook it) to fit any shaving mug.

The RiteAid in San Antonio Shopping Center sells the white, hypoallergenic version of Van Der Hagen soap.

The cutlery store in Town & Country Village sells Colonel Conk soaps and also stocks Merkur blades. I use Personna blades from Wal-Mart, though some guys find them too harsh (they are a bit rough on Day 1, but I found them to be just like Feathers from then on).

For aftershave, I use Nivea Sensitive, available anywhere for $5.

I agree that a badger brush is a good investment. It'll last you years and years. Vulfix is hard to beat as far as bang for the buck. If $40-50 is too high, I'd suggest an Omega boar brush, which can be ordered online for around $15. Best boar brush around, and way better than the $5 drug store variety brushes. Sesto-senso has a good selection of Omegas. Personally, I find the jumbo brush too big. I like the 4" one.

Dave
simpatico

Post by simpatico »

David, your references are extremely convenient for me. Thank you.

I called around and confirmed the Target stores in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara don't carry Proraso (brush or cream). Looks like Target is phasing them out.

I was about to order the Omega boar brush from QED. It is apparently the same as the Proraso brush. One thing led to another and I ended up ordering from Cotton Blossom and of course, they don't carry Proraso or Omega (brush or cream...) What I learnt is that the next gen of boar or badger brushes are originating in China and at a sharp discount. Quality is something yet to be determined. As for me I've shortlisted the C&E badger or even the Proraso/Omega boar bristle as my next step up (thanks to LeisureGuy's blog and David's message)

Perhaps as more make the switch I'm making the market will be big enough for a single retailer to carry the different (and several lines each of) shaving necessities. Today I find I have to buy alum block in one place, blades and razor at another, creams/soaps at a third, brushes at a fourth, and witch hazel locally. Can easily beccome an indulgence that is all-consuming!
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto has a Crabtree & Evelyn (you can examine badger brushes), The Body Shop, and a store called SHAVE. (I haven't made it there yet, but it sounds promising: "Offering an extensive selection of men’s personal care items from the United States, Paris, Milan, and London, SHAVE sells quality shaving creams, gels, foams, soaps, after shave balms, facial cleansers, and moisturizers.")

--Glenn
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Glenn,

Ahh... you're right. I ran across SHAVE in the Stanford Shopping Center over the holidays. It's actually a small stand, out in the plaza by the "mer-frogs" fountain. As I recall, the prices are full retail, but they have a decent selection of premium shave stuff.

Dave
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Mama Bear and Honeybee Sue products are only available on-line, but it sounds as if you have access to more outlets around Palo Alto than I realized.
simpatico

Post by simpatico »

All, thank you for your help. I was worried I'd have no option other than the online vendors for my shaving needs; knowing there are local choices to reach to in a pinch is quite comforting.

Country Sun, Whole Foods, and Elephant Pharm had the Thayer's and glycerin. Wal-Mart had the styptic pencil and Neosporin (contingencies, you know :-) An aside: Walmart also had a Williams shaving soap which I suspect may not be as good as the hypo-allergenic Van Der Hagen at Rite-Aid in the same plaza that David mentioned.

Don't know where to get the alum block much recommended by Michael in his blog.

And after a while...an upgrade of my brush to Proraso or C&E badger.
franciscantony

Post by franciscantony »

Also check out the TJMaxx near 101/whipple in Redwood City.
I got a glass jar of Crabtree&Evelyn Sweet Almond
shave cream for $6 and a YSL M7 aftershave for $8 sometime back.

-Francis

Post by 2 »

This thread is fantastic for those who are in the bay area. Thanks to all that contributed.

I am in mountain view and I didn't have any trouble finding Proraso at Target. They were all out of the creme in Saratoga, but I found it in Cupertino. Personally I really don't like the feeling of the Proraso menthol green creme, but I'll try again in summer.

I'll have to check out the locations mentioned here.

-Two
simpatico

Post by simpatico »

Two, did you ever have any luck finding Proraso at the Mtn View Target? They claim to have never carried the brand.

From what I gather so far, TJ Maxx seems the Bay Area equivalent of CVS for opportunistic shopping of shaving goodies at a good price. Let's hope some others will emerge...
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I'm pretty sure I saw Proraso at the Mountain View Target a while back. It's in the spa section among the premium facial care products, not in the shaving section. The Redwood City Target still has slots for Proraso, but only has four brushes and one bottle of the aftershave balm.

If you ever make it up to the super-Target at Highway 92 and 101, they were the first Target store I saw that carried Proraso.

Dave
Seanholio

Target Santa Clara

Post by Seanholio »

I'm certain Target on Coleman in San Jose/Santa Clara area has the Proraso. There is also The Art of Shaving in San Francisco in the Westfield mall near the Metreon.
2clfrwrds

Re: Target Santa Clara

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Seanholio wrote:There is also The Art of Shaving in San Francisco in the Westfield mall near the Metreon.
That just opened last September or October, right? Do they carry AOS brands exclusively, or do they have some other lines too?

--Glenn
android

Post by android »

Most of the targets I have been to have the Proraso cream, but it's not in the shaving section, and they don't know they have it. It is in the English products spa section (lol). Mt view stocks it, Saratoga avenue stocks it. My guess is that you asked an employee (they don't know), and looked with the other shave creams.

BTW, they carry Headslick shave cream, which is a nice liquid cream that lathers up well and has some menthol kick to it. It's in the regular shaving section, and costs like $6 for a good sized bottle.

For an alum stick, whole Foods sells crystal stick deodorants, which are basically alum in a twist stick. I like it this way better anyway.

The Shave kiosk at Stanford is great, but the prices are retail. But it is still fun to check out their great selection.

Have fun!

Oh, last I looked the targets usually have the Proraso Boar brush, which is nice.