Took the jump today- What a great experience!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Jed Millet

Took the jump today- What a great experience!

Post by Jed Millet »

I received my Merkur HD today and took the plunge today. What a wonderful experience, and WHAT A GREAT SHAVE... BBS !

My thanks goes to Mantic and Leisure Guy for the "pre-shave" instuctions.

I didn't draw any blood, had the blade angle correct (I could hear the cut), and after three passes was as smooth as I have ever been.

My routine was a very hydrated face, Proraso cream, Vulfix Best Badger,
Merkur HD w/ Merkur blade- 3 passes followed by Prorasr Liquid Cream AS.

Couldn't ask for anything better... Well maybe, but not in regards to a shave...

I am so glad to embarked on this new endeavor!
Jed Millet
GregCavi

Post by GregCavi »

Congrats!! Glad your shave went smoothly. (pun intended!)

Greg
Rob

Post by Rob »

Congrats! Keep up the good work, it'll only get better from here. You're also going to be visiting the poor house soon. One or more acquisition disorders will take over your life. :)
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Excellent. And I trust your blade sampler packet from LetterK is on the way. :D
Jed Millet

Yep

Post by Jed Millet »

Mike,

I had the sample pack before the razor... I'm doing the M, I, D, G, F... My Merkur came with a new "sample" blade, so I used it. I was going to start with the Merkur blade anyway.

Thanks for the "learnin"...

- Jed

PS: Is LetterK the "source" once I determine what blade is the best for me (if'n it's a Swede Gillette, or Isreali Personna for instance). I've seen plenty of folks with Merkur and Feathers, but not so with the others.
Jed Millet
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Jed---glad to hear your shave went so well. Proraso is one of my favorites. It only gets better and better.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Derbys and Israelis are purchased in bulk (lots of 100) on eBay---you can do a search, and should not pay more than $12-$13. I get my Swedish Gillettes from The English Shaving Company. Feathers you buy in lots of 100 from Pauldog (of this forum), I believe.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Atta-boy Jed!

I still have never tried Proraso - just never got around to getting any yet.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
timc

Post by timc »

Pauldog sells Feather blades in 5- and 10-packs.

http://shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4594
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
jbc

Post by jbc »

Since you had so much sucess you might try an adjustable. What it can do for you extra is as you dial it up it takes more off per pass. Which means that you will need to do less work.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

jbc wrote:Since you had so much sucess you might try an adjustable. What it can do for you extra is as you dial it up it takes more off per pass. Which means that you will need to do less work.
Adjusting to a higher setting will not necessarily give you a faster or better shave. Everyone's skin is very different. My skin is super sensitive and there is no way I can benefit from a higher setting unless I want major burn. Beside, more per pass is not what someone should be going for. More per pass can also mean more skin per pass too.

My recommendation is to stick with your routine for now and take your time looking for new methods.

Good luck,

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Not to knock the English Shaving Company - they are a fine company with excellent products and service - but if your main interest is acquiring the Euro Gillette Platinums, and not a bunch of other stuff, I haven't found a better place to get them than Auravita.com. Even with shipping factored in, theirs is the lowest price anywhere; in fact, it would cost you less to import the Gillettes from Auravita than it would to buy Merkurs locally (assuming you have to mail-order Merkurs). The only time it makes sense to buy them through the English Shaving Company is if you are making a larger purchase with them and can include the blades in the order. Otherwise, their higher blade cost and considerably higher shipping cost does not make them the single best option for buying the blades.

~ Nathan