Cream vs Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DCLawyer

Cream vs Soap

Post by DCLawyer »

I normally use cream from a tub as I find it's the easiest to use with a brush.

I have only used soap once, and it was Caswell-Massey, which people here seem to have a poor opinion of. Is cream generally accepted as better, with soap being seen as more economical? Or does a higher quality soap, e.g. T&H rival the creams in your opinion?

Also, does anyone use cream from a tube? There are many I'd enjoy trying, but I can't figure how to really use it with a brush.
06GTJake

Post by 06GTJake »

I used a bunch of different stuff int he last two weeks...

with the polmolive i used in a tube, i just squirted a little bit on the brush and then a little water and use it just like the tub of stuff.

worked great
Merkur Futur
Merkur Long Handle

<-- Former dry shaver w/ disposable razors
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Counselor,
The standard answer on this board to all "which is better" questions is: Neither. It depends on the user. As a general rule creams tend to provide more cushion (aka protection) while soaps provide a bit less but may let you shave a little closer. Generally speaking less expensive soaps provide the least cushion while high-end soaps (like the T&H you mentioned) are similar to creams. Lower quality soaps (like C-M) can also be difficult to lather. Most experienced gents will ultimately gravitate towards one or the other (I'm a cream guy) depending on a host of factors including beard type, skin type, preferred razor/blade, to name a few. You can certainly get a lot of opinions here but ultimately the only way to get to the bottom of things is to try it yourself.

My experience is that the same shaving cream tends to be a little thinner in a tube than in a tub. Tubes are nice for travel but you will find that most cream users prefer their goop in a jar. If you are looking to try something out of a tube don't forget about Proraso and Musgo Real. Those creams are almost required rites of passage for all would-be Shavegeeks.
Brett
timc

Re: Cream vs Soap

Post by timc »

DCLawyer wrote:I normally use cream from a tub as I find it's the easiest to use with a brush.

I have only used soap once, and it was Caswell-Massey, which people here seem to have a poor opinion of. Is cream generally accepted as better, with soap being seen as more economical? Or does a higher quality soap, e.g. T&H rival the creams in your opinion?

Also, does anyone use cream from a tube? There are many I'd enjoy trying, but I can't figure how to really use it with a brush.
I actually find creams easier to use from a tube. What could be easier than squeezing a bit out of a tube onto your brush? No muss, no fuss. I also find the tubes easier for travel.

As BrettG said, there is no right answer as to which is better between soaps and creams. Some soaps are better than some creams and vise versa. Just like with the blades, what really matters is what is right for you. I also believe that given a quality soap and a quality cream, you can get an equally good shave with either, so it really is down to a personal preference.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Ditto what Brett said, on all counts.

~ Nathan
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Everthing you've heard so far is generally true.

Soaps are probably more economical, especially the traditional triple milled soaps. Some of the heavily glycerine-based soaps, like Col Conk, get used up pretty fast, but they're so inexpensive it doesn't make a difference.

With respect to protectiveness, though, I find some of the soaps, like Tabac and Mitchel's Wool Fat, to be more protective than any cream I've used when lathered in certain ways. This isn't true of all soaps, by any means, but there are some great ones out there.
DCLawyer

Post by DCLawyer »

Everyone - many thanks.

I had written off soap as a second choice after using CM soap, but having read that CM is generally not considered top shelf, I plan to give soap another try when I'm next out of cream.

Also, Musgo Real and Prosao were exactly what I was thinking when I asked about the tube, so I'll give those a try as well.

Thanks, all.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

timc wrote:I actually find creams easier to use from a tube. What could be easier than squeezing a bit out of a tube onto your brush? No muss, no fuss. I also find the tubes easier for travel.
I 100% agree ; plus, it's easier to get the desired amount
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Soaps rule, creams drool. :D

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

DCLawyer wrote:Also, does anyone use cream from a tube? There are many I'd enjoy trying, but I can't figure how to really use it with a brush.
Put a dab straight onto the wet brush, just as you put toothpaste on a toothbrush. Then the already-wet brush goes either on your face or in a bowl, as you choose.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I had this post on another thread and never got an answer. Figured I'd move it here. :?

Do you leave your soap (cake/puck version) in your shaving mug until you use it up? If not, how do you store it after using it. For example, most of the Drugstore shaving soaps (cake/puck version) come in cardboard boxes. How do you swap out and store it if you're not inclined to use that puck that day?

I have the hang of the tub and creams, just can't figure out the cake/puck version. Once I get it wet in the mug it pretty much sticks to the bottom and stays there until it runs out unless I make a huge mess and pry it loose. Then I have to store it in a baggie or something that keeps it moist and won't allow it to dry out.

Need help. :?
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

I have been using soap regularly, but when I use cream, I prefer it in a tube as well. I squeeze a measured amount into the palm of my hand - easy to get a consistent quantity that way – and then begin lathering in my palm before moving to the face…
Joe
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Drummer wrote:I have been using soap regularly, but when I use cream, I prefer it in a tube as well. I squeeze a measured amount into the palm of my hand - easy to get a consistent quantity that way – and then begin lathering in my palm before moving to the face…
I find that either tube or tub work fine for me. I used the hand lathering technique for the longest time - and even though I now use a bowl, can always revert back to the palm of the hand in a pinch.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Racso_MS wrote:I had this post on another thread and never got an answer. Figured I'd move it here. :?

Do you leave your soap (cake/puck version) in your shaving mug until you use it up? If not, how do you store it after using it. For example, most of the Drugstore shaving soaps (cake/puck version) come in cardboard boxes. How do you swap out and store it if you're not inclined to use that puck that day?

I have the hang of the tub and creams, just can't figure out the cake/puck version. Once I get it wet in the mug it pretty much sticks to the bottom and stays there until it runs out unless I make a huge mess and pry it loose. Then I have to store it in a baggie or something that keeps it moist and won't allow it to dry out.

The soaps I have that didn't come in a fancy schmancy ceramic or wooden bowl (which would be almost all of them) I put in two different types of container - any Body Shop body lotion pots my wife has used up, and cream cheese tubs. The cream cheese tubs look awful, I have to admit, while the Body Shop pots are similar to, but smaller than, the cream pots for most creams, so they look better in my heap of stuff. Both work very well, and I believe my wife uses more body lotion per day than we do cream cheese, so it'll pan out nicely in the end. I'm trying to encourage her to use Body Shop exclusively, but she has BLAD, so her rotation is almost infinite.

(Of course, De Vergulde Hand soap actually comes in something that looks like it should hold cream cheese.)
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
timc

Post by timc »

Racso_MS wrote:I had this post on another thread and never got an answer. Figured I'd move it here. :?

I only have three soaps on the go, and each has its own bowl, so I don't have this issue. :)

But, you might want to check out some of Richard's (rustyblade) posts. He uses those ziploc bowls with the screw-on lids for his soaps and it keeps things neat and tidy.

Edit: e.g. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#151526
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Thanks y'all...

I think the two of you have given me the solution to my problem.

My wife has some old Tupperware storage containers she doesn't use that might do just the trick.

Appreciate it.
(Racso) Oscar...
Barry

Post by Barry »

I bought a bunch of GFT soaps this week. I decided to switch from creams for a while. The almond and coconut arrived today. I did not expect the almond to smell anything like almonds (based on the reviews here) and it does not. It smells great though - almost an old-timey floral scent. I think this will be one of my favorites. I shaved with the coconut and I am quite happy with it. I will say that the scent is much less intense than it was with the cream. The violet and lime soaps will arrive tomorrow. Yes, I'm stocking up again!

Btw, I ordered from Bigelow in NYC. Shipping was $6 (I bought another item as well) and the shipment arrived in less than 24 hours. I know I'm not too far from NYC but I've never had anything arrive that quickly for such a small shipping fee - unless there was a special or free shipping of course :).

Barry
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

I store my soaps in plastic tupperware like containers that I bought at the Dollar Store. These are so cheap they were in a pack of 3 for a dollar. I use a sharpie to label them so I remember which soap is in each container. I normally have a dozen or so soaps to choose from. The same is true for the creams. Tube or tub doesn't really matter to me in the cream department. I use a small stainless bowl to mix creams. I'm a shower shaver so if I drop my stainless bowl it doesn't break into a million pieces.

I can't really say if I like cream or soap better because I am always changing. I hardly ever use a soap or a cream more than a few times and then I switch off to something else. I also use a boar brush for soaps and badger for creams. After you have been at this for awhile you will settle on your favorite rotation of various products.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Tony,

What type boar brush do you use? Just out of curiousity.
(Racso) Oscar...
DEF

Post by DEF »

DC,

I am a soap guy, and many of my favorites are featured in this thread.

Since then, I have added Truefitt & Hill Luxury Soap and Trumper's Limes, Rose and Violet. All are winners.

With warm weather coming on, for a first foray into quality soaps, I would recommend the T&H, DR Harris Arlington, and Trumper Limes.

I also am a boar brush user, with my main brushes being an Omega and a smaller Vulfix.

Regards,
Doug
Doug