Blade disposale

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

I use a decorative tin that held an unusual kind of tea. Cut a slot in the top and epoxy the lid on, and it makes a fairly nice addition to the counter top. It's about the size of a can of soup.

BobS
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

If you use condensed milk or a similar item, you can do like Michael suggested. Cut you one or two slices in the side close to the top of the can opposite of where you used your can opener to open the milk. Turn it so the holes are on the bottom and the slices on the top and put your used blades in. When it's full, beat it down with a hammer and no one gets hurt.

If you use a plastic bottle of glass jar there is always the possibility of someone breaking the jar or crushing the plastic bottle and "OUCH".

Or buy a commercial blade bank like someone suggested.

My two cents worth.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

timc wrote:
Steve-o wrote:I'm filling up an empty Altoids tin. But, then, it's only me -- no kids to find it, no one else to open it by accident. When it's full, I'll seal it, mark it, and recycle it.
I wouldn't want to be the one sorting out that batch!
*shrug* I figure it's metal blades in a metal tin and it will be sealed so that it will be quite difficult to open. If someone wants to get into a clearly-marked, hard-to-open tin, they need to find some better hobbies.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

I just drop mine through the slot in the medicine cabinet and it falls down between the studs to the plate. Old school.
John
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

I love the way Coke tastes in Styrofoam cups.
Coke tastes different depending on the container for some odd reason.
I noticed one day when I went to throw a blade away that it fit nicely in the bottom of a Styrofoam cup I had facing up in the trashcan.
So I pulled it out and that is where my blades go.
Before I take out the trash, I stack another Styrofoam cup the same size INTO the one with the blades - therefore sealing them off so no one gets cut.
Never had any problems.
The blades dig in slightly sometimes and stick in place without going thru the cup.
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
jayb

Post by jayb »

I slit a hole in my empty bottle of Pichaud's Clubman. I like it.
Justin
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

ichabod wrote: I just use small children!
I collect mine until a day or so before Halloween, then I get some apples and caramel and......
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

AACJ wrote:
I collect mine until a day or so before Halloween, then I get some apples and caramel and......
I was waiting for this. I can relax now.
"But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel."

brian
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

BrianP wrote:
AACJ wrote:
I was waiting for this. I can relax now.
Too much work - I simply dump them in the sand box at a local school.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
daveshaves

Post by daveshaves »

Pete_T wrote:I just use the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. If your house isnt old enough to have a slot, you could always cut one out with a dremel tool. (kidding)
Why kid?

If I didn't have a slot, I wouldn't be shy about dremeling out a slot. Only a very select group of people will look in your medicine cabinet, so who cares?
JP

Post by JP »

It would be a truly excellent idea to first pull that medicine cabinet and see what's behind it, you might be surprised. Wiring is the big thing to look out for, and it can be where you least expect it.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

This was posted on another forum and a question was asked...

"If you happen to drop a "Feather" razor blade down the slot, and there were some wires close by, wouldn't the Feather slice right through the wires even if it passed within a quarter of an inch." The potential hazards are enormous, just think it might even slice through a support beam and there goes the neighborhood.
(Racso) Oscar...
SilverKarn

Post by SilverKarn »

Go to your local hospital and ask where to get a sharps container, this is what i did, and they gave me a nice red plastic box with a biohazard sticker on the side, they then told me to bring it back when it was full
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

"If you happen to drop a "Feather" razor blade down the slot, and there were some wires close by, wouldn't the Feather slice right through the wires even if it passed within a quarter of an inch." The potential hazards are enormous, just think it might even slice through a support beam and there goes the neighborhood.
At least they didn't say:
"If you happen to drop a "Merkur" blade down the slot, with it being so rough and course to most shavers but only good to a few, would it get stuck in the mid air due to drag and air resistance?"
At least they didn't say that.
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Phil,

You *!@**&%**$#@... I know you understand what I said, it's Southern.

You know I like Merkurs...

That was low even for you...

LMAO...
(Racso) Oscar...
ecks

Post by ecks »

This is skirting the issue somewhat, but sometimes if I'm worried about loose old blades, I drag the edges hard against some handy steel item. Handtools are good. I'm never very far from a screwdriver or pair of pliers, and the hardened steel tools make short work of the soft, thin edges of razor blades. A couple quick scrapes and the blade is as blunt as a butter knife.

In principle I still like the sharps box/blade box, though. Maybe if you live with little kids and are worried you can do both