fan shaped vs bulb shaped knots?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Pete_T

fan shaped vs bulb shaped knots?

Post by Pete_T »

Im having a brush made, and Id like some input on bulb shaped knots vs fan shaped knots. Is there any real difference? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Ive only owned fan shaped, but the vendor told me his fan are a little less dense than the bulb, so Im inclined to go the bulb route. However, I noticed on the VLB posts that setting a knot a little deeper in the handle can increase density, so I might have that done, if a good case is made for fans. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
SilverKarn

Post by SilverKarn »

My first brush was a C&E Best (fan), second was Shavemac (bulb)

The big difference i could see right away is that the bulb brush has a lot of difficulty lathering in a wide bowl, i lather easy in a wide bowl with my fan brush.

If you get a bulb brush, find a narrow shaving mug.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, In many cases, I suspect that taste or aesthetics is a major factor in the choice. Personally, I prefer the classic 'English' fan shape. For me, it seems to lather more easily, or 'better'. Some disagree, of course.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The advantages and disadvantages are very slight, compared to the differences you will find in types and quality of hair. Get a brush that feels good and works well, and more or less disregard the bulb vs. fan debate.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I have both fan and bulb shaped brushes. I enjoy them both. But based on my brush collection, I find that the bulb shaped brushes are more firm, and the fan shaped brushes tend to, well, fan out quite a bit more. Pros and cons to both, depending on which brush you decide you like best. Like all shaving items, this is a personal preference, and until you try both, you won't know which you really prefer.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

As others have said, brush shape is a personal preference. For me, a bulb shaped brush lathers easier, splays less, and just looks better. One comment about setting the knot deaper. It won't actually, increase density. The same amount of hairs are in the knot. What it might do is allow less splay because the effective length of the shafts is shorter...potentially making the brush perform as if it were denser.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

Well bulbs give light or grow flowers, fans cheer for you or blow wind to keep you cool!

I really like the Fan style, so far it has never cheered for me, but I know it really wants too
:D
Chris
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Thanks all.
I think Ill go bulb, like Ive said I havent tried one, and this vendors prices are quite reasonable, so I can just buy a fan if I want later.
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

Try this........

Post by Kalypso »

This Muhele Pinsel:
http://www.knoxcigar.com/mushbr09.html
has a bulb shape, but it will bloom slightly more than a Shavemac. Best of both worlds in my opinion....plus it's beautiful!
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448