Merkur HD vs 40s superspeed

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
raffijian

Merkur HD vs 40s superspeed

Post by raffijian »

Hi, all:

Being a relative newbie to the wetshaving world, I am trying to get opinions/suggestions from the fine members of this forum. I have a Merkur HD as my sole razor and have been contemplating picking up a 40's Gillette SS as my second razor.

I am very satisfied with my HD, so does anyone who has experience using both consider it an updrade or downgrade when going from an HD to a 40's SS?

Additonally, is there much of a difference between the two razors when compared side-by-side?

Thanks.

Rafi
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Super Speed will probably be milder---and if you're used to the HD, you will find it a bit more challenging to get a close shave. The Super Speed is also a bit lighter.

Have you found the best blade for you? If so, you might want to look at the Slant Bar instead of the Super Speed---it's a different sort of shave, has the same handle as the HD, and does a fine job. Just a thought.
jayb

Post by jayb »

Leisureguy has given great advice. I can add nothing of importance to what he has said, but if I could offer an alternative to the 40s SS, it would be a red-tip SS. These were based on the 50-60s styled Superspeeds and offer a bit more heft than the 40s SS (or even the similarly dated "regular" Superspeeds.) I use one as my main shaver, and I'd have to say that since you are using Merkur HD, it would make sense to stay with something more hefty or "aggressive." Of course all of this is assuming that you are enjoying the way that the Merkur shaves. If not, by all means try a lighter razor. It could be that "missing link." Good Luck!
Justin
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Rafi,

While there is nothing wrong with the above advice your original idea of going for a 1940's Superspeed is a good one - it is a heck of a razor, highly recommended & a design classic IMV.

Regards
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Rafi

I didn't like the superspeed at all. Too light and too mild a shaver for my tastes, but many gents here love it. I say stick with the hd.......what do you need two razors for anyway?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

I liked the feel of the superspeed, but I found it too mild. Great razor though and worth the try.
Chris
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have both a HD and a 1951 SS. Yes, the SS is not as aggressive as the HD, HOWEVER I get a closer shave with less effort using the SS.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

:D
Last edited by nteeman on Tue May 29, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

raffijian

Post by raffijian »

Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions. I do appreciate it.

Regarding Leisureguy's response about the razor blades, I actually use the Feathers. However, I use them for the first go round and then use a Derby/Merkur or Swedish Gillette on my second and touch ups.

I've noticed that using the Feathers for the entire shave leave's me in a bloodbath, even with light pressure, but using a milder blade after the initial go round works out better for me.

Clive, since I've started wetshaving I'm close to getting SCAD, but I'm trying to avoid RAD. I think I have a way to go before I get there.

Gentlemen, this was my first, non-purchase related post, and it was a pleasure getting all these knowledgeable responses.

Thanks.

Rafi