Need a little advice/guidance fellas

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Lionhoo

Need a little advice/guidance fellas

Post by Lionhoo »

Yesterday I received my first adjustable (Futur) from QED (as an aside, great to deal with Charles!) and I'm a little intimidated. Basically I'm looking for a little guidance on the settings.

I understand (I think) that the higher the setting the more aggressive the cutting. How does this affect my blade angle? Does a higher setting equate to a more parallel angle of the handle to the floor? Is it better to do the first pass at a higher setting then the futur(e) [sorry couldn't resist] passes at a lower setting?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
robofunk

Post by robofunk »

you can use the same angle, but i'd say if you're new to the DE then use a lower setting if you decide to go against the grain.

happy shaving! :P
Barry

Re: Need a little advice/guidance fellas

Post by Barry »

Marshall,

I am sure that many SMF'ers will chime in but I had a lot of luck following Joe Lerch's previous comments about blade angle and adjustable settings. His comments about how to hold the razor (the proper angle, etc.) made a night and day difference in my shaves - my shaves went from highly irritating and not-so-close to irritation free super close shves.

You might want to try to search for some of his older posts about razors.

Barry
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Chris, you are right, I've been using a DE for a while now (probably around 9 months now.) This is my first "progression" to a different type of razor. [I'm not counting electric to M3 back to electric back to M3 finally to DE!]

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming guys, the more info/knowledge one has the better things will be.

Cheers,
Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

Marshall: I got a Futur, set it at 1 (or maybe up to 1.5), and have never changed the setting. The Futur is resting in the shave cabinet now; it's big, heavy and bulky. Keep the setting low to start and respect the weight of the razor. Hope you like it better than I did mine. Best, John.