Re-tried a Mach 3 today..

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
OneAndOneIs2

Re-tried a Mach 3 today..

Post by OneAndOneIs2 »

The Gillette Mach 3, contrary to popular belief, isn't a razor. It's a self-torture device with clever marketing - So I would have sworn after it made four long years at university noticeably longer. It's amazing how much sore, bleeding skin can impact on your day.

But I'm a curious type, and I couldn't help but wonder how well it would work if, instead of using it on dry skin covered with gel out of a pressurized cannister, I used it with my now-customary badger-brush-applied lather.

So this morning, I dragged my old enemy out of retirement and gave it a go after my shower.

It's actually a very weird experience, dragging a flat plastic cartridge across your face when you're used to a DE razor. It kind of reminds me of a potato peeler we've got in the kitchen...

Ah well.

I didn't get a single nick or cut. I'd have been genuinely surprised if I had, to be honest - soap-based lather really does make that much difference. I was, however, expecting to be left with somewhat scraped-feeling skin. Three passes, four (and even five) in places, using a three-bladed cartridge... that's a lot of wear & tear.

However, I can honestly say that the mildest single-blade razors I've got do more damage than the Mach 3 did. Even the Alum block test agreed that there was no damage done - not the slightest tingle.

It also left a lot more soap residue on my face than a DE, which meant that the lather in my brush didn't get nearly as diluted by between-pass rinses as it tends to when using a single blade. Which was good, considering the number of passes it called for...

So all-in-all, a hugely different experience than I had ten years ago (God that makes me feel old.) The Mach 3 used to be painful, bloody, and not a very good shave.

Today... two out of three ain't bad. As stated above, in some places, I actually had to apply lather & make five passes to get a reasonably good finish.

The Mach 3 did a pretty good job on flat surfaces, such as my cheeks. But it struggled badly with the area under my chin, which is admittedly densely-packed with hairs. And it just couldn't do anything with my jawline: The sharp angle was just too much for it. I do have a rather angular face, it must be said..

I think I'll keep some spare blades around for it: If nothing else, it's very easy to shave with - no worries at all about maintaining the right angle with a cartridge, after all.

But there's no chance at all that I'll switch to it full-time. Regardless of what the marketing & sales people may say (Taylor's themselves tried to sell me a Mach 3 rather than a DE), it just doesn't do as good a job as a proper razor.
Dominic - from southeast England
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The first few months of my new shaving consisted of a Mach 3 but with traditional shave soap and creams instead of the can of goo. I tell all my friends that even replacing the pressurized can of goo with a soap/cream (and still keeping the cartridge razor) is a step in the right direction. I noticed better shaves with the better lather. I have since switched to the DE myself. I keep a Mach 3 and some blades as a spare and for traveling purposes. I'll revisit it, but only if I have too.
~Jeff

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
gruffydd63

Post by gruffydd63 »

I never could get a good shave with anything that had more than two blades and I did start with creams and a good brush and my Sensor. I still keep it around and just bought what is probably a life time supply of cartridges (25 for $27) at BJ's, a Sam's Club look alike. I use it when I have to get moving real fast in the morning. I'll still lather up with my brush but do WTG and ATG passes at the same time. It does give me a perfectly acceptable shave but nowhere near the enjoyment of a good (even a bad) DE shave.
Dick
gruffydd63

Post by gruffydd63 »

After posting the previous reply I thought I give my sensor a try today. Since I am mowing the lawn today and it's going into the low 80's I skipped my morning shower, washed my face twice with a good soap and lots of hot water, got my Proraso boar brush, Williams mug soap and lathered up my face. Two quick passes with the sensor and I had a nice almost BBS shave.

Now that I am retired I do the yard work on the weekends while you working stiffs are on the golf course and during the week while your working I'm on the golf course. I don't do this to rub it in, I do it at great sacrifice to myself as a favor to those of you who have to work so there is one less hacker on the fairways on weekends. (If you believe that I have a mint Gillette 195 to sell you for $5!!!!)
Dick
bleedingface

Re: Re-tried a Mach 3 today..

Post by bleedingface »

OneAndOneIs2 wrote:The Gillette Mach 3, contrary to popular belief, isn't a razor. It's a self-torture device with clever marketing - So I would have sworn after it made four long years at university noticeably longer. It's amazing how much sore, bleeding skin can impact on your day.
I've found the Mach3 to be an excellent device, if you get lucky and get a good cartridge. I've found that some cartridges go an entire week with good results and others (most) tear up my face.

So far, my Merkur lasted 3 days and started to burn; now I'm trying a Derby. (Going through the sampler pack.)
OneAndOneIs2

Post by OneAndOneIs2 »

I've certainly revised my long-held opinion that multi-blades are the spawn of the devil: If somebody wants to get into wetshaving gradually, a brush and soap/cream would appear to be enough to get going, assuming they already have a razor of some kind.

Don't think I'll try out my old electric razor with the soap&brush combo tho ;)
ems10fan

Post by ems10fan »

My experience is similar in that better shaving cream and preparation can make shaving with Mach 3 and Fusion type razors easier to deal with, but only on an occassional basis. Having not yet made the switch to DE, I've been using Gillette Custom Plus disposables for the last five months- they are two bladed, they actually shave pretty well. I'm trying to develop good wetshaving techniques (i'd been using electric for years) before getting a DE. I keep a Mach 3 around for those "Monday shaves" where I have a few days' growth and can get a nice, close shave with pretty much two passes. If I used the Mach 3 every day, even with brush, good cream, etc my face would not be happy :)
bleedingface

Post by bleedingface »

OneAndOneIs2 wrote:a brush and soap/cream would appear to be enough to get going, assuming they already have a razor of some kind.
I've had really bad experiences with the razor quality in Gillette products. It actually makes me reluctant to try the Gillette "Platinum" razors I got in my sampler (although its probably a different factory, etc). Plus you pretty much break even in one go if you get the cheapest DE and a sampler pack. So I'd agree the multiblade design isn't awful, but if one gets a bad lot of razors, time for razor burn.

The Derby this morning was pretty good. I think I'm getting the hang of it. This "across the grain" thing doesn't seem to work for my neck. It seems best to go with the grain, _slightly_ across the grain, and then against the grain. Going directly across (on any razor) leaves me with a million little bleeding cuts.
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

I'm still getting to know my razor, though I am getting braver and might try an across the grain pass in a few days. I keep watching those videos and try to get every little bit of info off them for the across the grain passes.

As for my Mach 3, I'm still using it, after the 2 passes straight down, I use it for the against the grain pass to give me a nice smooth shave.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
the_prince

Post by the_prince »

Bleeding face,

Remember Gillette is the inventor of the safety razor. The Platinum blades are an excellent product and I recommend that you give them a try.

I cannot go sideways on my neck either but do exactly as you describe and still get a superb shave without irritation. You just need to experiment and discover what suits your beard.
Best Regards,
Sami
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I shaved with a M3 since the product was born. It gave me an OK shave, if not particularly close, with one with-the-grain pass, with a slight propensity toward ingrowns in one part of my face. The shave required absolutely no skill, and it was very fast. For me, the razor was not suitable for an across or against the grain pass.

Today, I shave with a Feather AC. I get a better shave, but it requires more skill. To get a shave closer than what I used to get with an M3, I need two passes, and this takes a bit more time.

Everybody has different priorities. For most, the M3 is probably all they want or need.
rogersfreud

Post by rogersfreud »

Never tried the Mack3, not sure if i ever will.

NOw they have cartridges with 4+ blades in them.

Man,,,
They even have battery operated pulsating razors!!!!!

I'm holding out until razors can make you a cup of coffee :D

Isaac
1)"Many times we neglect & even loose ourselves in our pursuit of 'helping' & pleasing others."
2)"Remember that life, as well as recovery, are all about progress, not about perfection. Take it one hour or even minute at a time - if we need to."
Magnulus

Re: Re-tried a Mach 3 today..

Post by Magnulus »

I draw the line at the Sensor Excel. I don't think the Mach 3 shaves markedly better, the blades are more expensive, and they don't last as long. Plus it doesn't feel like a razor anymore, it feels like, as you say, a Potato Peeler. The Sensor and Attra feel like razors.

IMO the only thing the cartridges have going for them is it is the fastest way to get a "decent" shave with a can of shaving gel. Even faster than an electric razor, but I'd say less comfortable (for me). The DE or a GEM is definitely the least fast way to go (never tried a straight, never will either), but gives the best results.

I'm not a big fan of Feathers. Yes, they are great blades but they are primadonnas and hence, fussy and if your technique is not perfect or the blade is fresh they are harsh.
Soloman

Post by Soloman »

Yeah I don't think the M3 is as bad as it's made out to be, like a DE if you learn how to use it it'll give a good shave. On the other hand a year or more ago I tried a disposable Schick 3 or 4 blade and it was terrible, razor burn galore, I think their blades are angled differently.

I think when they released the M3 it was a genuine attempt to give shavers what they want after that though it's all just become marketing.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Soloman wrote:I think when they released the M3 it was a genuine attempt to give shavers what they want after that though it's all just become marketing.
I think this is a fair comment, though once they began to bring out all of the variations on the Mach 3 in different colours etc, it was all about marketing from then on really.

If I had to go back to a cartridge razor (I'd grow a beard first mind you), it would be either a Mach 3 or Sensor.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dominic, No, it doesn't. And now you know.
Regards,
Gordon
OneAndOneIs2

Post by OneAndOneIs2 »

Yep, that pretty much sums it up :)
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

The whole 3-blade, 4-blade, 5-blade, electric pulsating blade business reminded me of a quote by a Detroit ad man: "You don't make money by selling more cars, you make money by selling more car."
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.