T&H Rose

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Rambler

T&H Rose

Post by Rambler »

So I decided not to wait until I get the D.R. Harris pink aftershave and just use my new cream today. When I first opened it up it looked a little different than my other T&H creams, but just a little bit. It did not look dehydrated at all, but when I tried to scoop some out and put it on my brush (I lather on my face) it actually was dehydrated. I lost the scoop off the tip of my brush down the drain. I was somewhat annoyed, but after I gave it a very quick swirl on the top I was very pleased. I think I actually prefer to use a dehydrated tub of cream instead of the scoop method.

It was everything I wanted in a cream. The rose scent may have been not as strong with the dehydration, but it is just the right amount of rose scent I was looking for. I was trying to slim down my shaving supplies, and this is one of the keepers. This will be one I will keep buying as long as I have it readily available, and.......well............ as long as......... you know..........

I may try to use one cream and one soap. This is that cream......well maybe just two more creams. I may try the Penhaligan's, and keep a T&H almond around for a few reasons. The soap will be T&H Luxury. Now what to do with all the rest of the stash........
--Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, Yeah, as I said, it's nice stuff. The potted T&H creams are usually pretty dense ( the last of a breed, it seems ). Yours may be a tad dehydrated....but maybe not. Since I lather creams in a small bowl, I always scoop some out with a sterling butter server and plop it in the bowl. Both the color and the scent are somewhat subdued, and I always appreciated that about the cream. The same is true of their Lavender, and that one is still being carried in the US.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

T&H Rose is one that I will regret not having a deep stock to use in the future. I haven't researched the expense of getting it from England, but I believe it will be worth the effort.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

At first when I scooped it out (taking a small amount off the tip of my finger and put on end of brush or rub on beard) it seemed much more dense than I am used to with the T&H creams. It wouldn't lather on my beard. The little bit would just move around on the inside of my brush. Perhaps lathering in a bowl would solve this problem. I was mildly concerned of using the rose cream due to the rich color of staining my brush, but this rose as Gordon said is subdued. However, it seems that I could use much less cream by using it as a hard soap. The texture almost reminded me of that Proraso in puck form. Somewhere between a soap and cream. I'll be back for a haircut at Truefitt in a few weeks and plan on checking out the other tubs. That lavender I wasn't sure about. I was going to give it another sniff test next time to see if I'll pick it up. I wasn't sure about that or the Penhaligan's. The lavender is the only T&H I haven't tried yet.

Randy, it seems some have had some luck contacting the T&H headquarters in Chicago to get the rose and sandalwood creams. It may be time to get that stock started. :)
--Greg
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Greg,

Another option for you is to scoop out a bit of cream and lather it with your fingertips directly on your beard, then use the brush to build the lather. I've been doing this for the past few months and getting great shaves with this method.

And I'll contact Chicago about the Rose s/c. Sandalwood is not for me. But the rose...well, it's lovely!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

i called the phone number below and ordered the rose cream directly from the chicago location. a month or so back they had 6-8 tubs left.

s~s

Truefitt & Hill
North American Headquarters
216 W. Jackson Blvd.
Suite 1040
Chicago, IL 60606
General Information: 312.714.1111
Fax: 312.714.1159
jfrancisco

Post by jfrancisco »

In a conversation I had with T&H Chicago's manager last month, he told me it was the US distributor's decision to not carry the Rose and Sandalwood products. As T&H in Chicago is not apart of the T&H's US distribution network they deal directly with T&H in London and still have access to these aforementioned creams. He assured me that the Rose and Sandalwood were not being discontinued and they had plans to continue stocking them. They said that though they do not have products listed on-line, that they would welcome my order over the phone and, if I remember correctly, their shipping charges were quite reasonable.

T&H Rose is my favorite cream.

s~s

I just reread your post and realized that T&H's North American Headquarters would be the US distributor. Here is the web site and contact information for the Chicago store.

Phone Numbers
Barbershop (312) 337-2525 Facsimile (321) 337-8954
Retail Store (312) 337-8585 Toll Free (800) 897-8503

Address
900 North Michigan Shops, Level 6
Chicago, IL 60611

http://www.truefittchicago.com/

The reason they do not fall under the control of the US distributor is that they are far older than the distributor and are grandfathered into a direct relationship with T&H London, which is a situation that the Chicago store is very happy to be in.
Last edited by jfrancisco on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. - Salvador Dali
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

i think it was $30 which included shipping via UPS for the tub of rose cream i bought.

s~s
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

jfrancisco wrote:In a conversation I had with T&H Chicago's manager last month, he told me itt was the US distributor's decision to not carry the Rose and Sandalwood products.
Boy.... Talk about decisions I don't understand!! Must be Six Sigma stuff.
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

rtaylor61 wrote:Greg,

Another option for you is to scoop out a bit of cream and lather it with your fingertips directly on your beard, then use the brush to build the lather. I've been doing this for the past few months and getting great shaves with this method.

And I'll contact Chicago about the Rose s/c. Sandalwood is not for me. But the rose...well, it's lovely!

Randy
I'll have to give that a try tomorrow and see how it goes. It's just that the scoop of cream is just so hard that it just doesn't want to spread around easily. It likes to stay in that little chunk. I was going to try to add just a bit of water to rehydrate the cream as other's have done to rehydrate a cream, but I seem to be using less cream with the a quick swirl on top of the cream. I have never enjoyed a cream as much as this one. I think it's great.

As far as pricing it may just be a few bucks more than the $30. On the T&H U.S. website the creams are now priced at $28 instead of the old $24. I was at nordstrom's that same day and the creams were still the 24 bucks, but at the barbershop location they were priced at the 28 bucks. Most other retailers still have it for around the $24, but not sure why T&H NA marked up the prices. Unless they were always that price on there and I've just never noticed.
--Greg
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

www.onthefly.com changed their price to $28 for all T&H creams.

They do not charge for shipping, but unfortunately Rose is not listed.
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeremy, Quite so. The T&H barbershop in Toronto is the only other North American outlet that has that sort of situation, so they may, if they choose, stock the Rose and Sandalwood creams as well. Otherwise, we have to order them from sources in Britain.

Greg, Okay...yeah. I does sound as if the pot of Rose that you have is a mite dehydrated ( T & H creams don't seem to keep quite as long as some others, Coate's was that way too ). You will find it easier and more effective to work with such creams by using a lathering bowl. With that one can really wack those little chunks around, mash and pump them with the brush, etc. Or, yes, one can just use them as one would a hard soap, and go from there.
Regards,
Gordon
jfrancisco

Post by jfrancisco »

Gordon et al,

I've noticed that many people refer to dipping a finger into a jar of cream and apply it to their brush, is this normal? Take a look at the Art of Shaving's instructional video. He must use $5.00 worth of cream on one shave (the spot is about 3 minutes into the video).

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/th ... -shave.php

I have always dipped the very tips of the brush into the jar and loaded the cream that way. Less waste of an extremely expensive product. The advantage to this is when it comes to dehydrated/thick creams. I treat it like a soap, albeit a very soft soap and swirl the tip of the brush around just like I do with my triple-milled soaps. This way I load the brush very quickly without a lot of trouble or waste. Now I started wet shaving about a decade ago without the help or any instruction from anyone. I was walking by Colonial Drugs one day and said to myself "no WAY I will ever spend $350 on a shaving brush." This got me thinking though and I eventually got a $12 Omega boar bristle brush and some Trumper's Lavender soap. I figured things out from there. I bring all of this up because I am curious what others do and it applies to Rambler's situation as well in dealing with a dehydrated soap.

Otherwise sorry if I just hijacked your thread.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. - Salvador Dali
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Yeah, when I first saw the pot of rose it looked almost "wet" much like my west indian limes appeared. There was a slight glisten of moisture that appeared on top of the cream. Almond almost always appear very dry when I get them, but they are a very soft cream to get out of the tub and easily lather up on my beard. I'm just trying to pick out my favorites (brushes, razors, creams, aftershaves, etc) to try to keep my supplies more manageable and enjoyable. As I've said this one is a keeper whichever way the pot comes. Next time if I get a better hydrated pot it could be a better cream, defiantly not any worse. I'll try rubbing it on my beard again tomorrow as Randy said, at least more aggressively than I tried before, then I'll try it in the bowl. I've never used a cream in a bowl before. When I first started using a brush around two years ago, I tested out the palm of my hand but never a bowl. This experimenting will never end no matter how much of it one thinks they have tried.
--Greg
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Jeremy,

I started off like you did. Not really much instruction. I was only able to read so much off this forum! It was a lot to take in all at once. I've tried dipping the wet brush in the tub, but was always weary of using to much cream, or affecting the cream with too much water in the tub. It seemed, at least for me, to make more of a mess. What I do is take a very small amount, about a fingertips worth, and spread or put in on the tip of my brush, and if there is some on my finger I can't get off just smear it around my beard. Then just lather on my beard directly with the brush until I get the right kind of lather for me. I've been doing this for creams, until I encountered this rose. I wasn't sure if this was a really dense cream, as it appeared hydrated. I tried it my normal way with no luck, so I just tried it with a very small quarter turn of the brush on the tips and there was plenty for my usual two passes and without saturating or foaming up the other cream.

I just watched the AOS video. That amount of cream he used could last me weeks. I only need a very small amount with my favorite creams, only nancy boy needs a little more cream. I'm sure our techniques are much better than the model was doing to lather our creams/soaps. No need to use that amount of cream. All I use is a dip of my fingertip. It would be no larger than a pencil's eraser.
--Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jeremy, Yeah, that's one technique. There are a number of possible ways to use a shave cream. At least one of the old Trumper barbers would do that; just cram a blob of cream down into the brush and go from there. Most, however, lathered it up in their palm ( which is where Charles Roberts picked that up from ) or use a bowl or cup. One barber would just smear some on the sink edge and whip up some lather right there ( chuckle...seriously ). I've tried pretty well all the methods at one time or another. I prefer using a small bowl because; 1) I can accurately gauge and use the same amount of cream each time, and 2) because I can more accurately control the cream to water ration, and get the lather 'just so' before I apply it. And, aestheticly I just find it more pleasing. But to each his own, whatever works for you.
Regards,
Gordon
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

Folks,

It looks like there may be some T&H Rose in stock at knoxcigar...

http://www.knoxcigar.com/trhiroshcrtu.html

These are the smaller tubes for $21.

Patrick
"Bart, a woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"

- Homer Simpson
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Im gonna be in Knoxville Labor Day Weekend and have already informed Mrs. Sam that I will be stopping by Knox Cigar to see if they have old creams and if so, inspect pots. Trumpers, whatever they have. Maybe they will have Castle Forbes Cedarwood by then and I can smell it.

Sam
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

PonyPlayer wrote:Folks,

It looks like there may be some T&H Rose in stock at knoxcigar...

http://www.knoxcigar.com/trhiroshcrtu.html

These are the smaller tubes for $21.

Patrick
It's OOS.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, there are a few other places that still have a little left over as well. But, only the barbershops in Chicago and Toronto can order more and openly sell it, because they are exempt from the contract that T&H NA negotiated with the actual firm in London. This is so because these two shops pre-dated that contract, and already had written agreements with the original London shop.
Regards,
Gordon