Which blade to try next?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
alabamalawyer

Which blade to try next?

Post by alabamalawyer »

After trying a blade sampler pack from Westcoast shaving, I preferred the Gillette in my Merkur HD and the Derby in my Futur. I recently picked up a 1959 Gillette Fatboy. I started with the Derby in it but am having a tough time getting an close, irritation-free shave.

Now some of the problem lies in mastering my technique with the Gillette razor. I will note that my last shave with this Derby blade was better than my first. However, I would like to try a sharper blade. I just purchased the x-large sampler from Barbara Italiano and was wondering which blade I should try out in the fatboy. I am looking for one sharper than the Derby but not necessarily feather-sharp.

Any insight into these blades would be great

Thanks
Chris
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Chris,
If you are shaving already with the swedes (Gillette) then I would say go ahead and use the Feather next. It really isn't much sharper than the ones you have already used. Just don't be intimidated from them but do respect them. Just use no pressure, proper technique, and be smooth and you should have no problems, in fact you will probably love them.
If you have the Israeli Crystals I get good smooth shaves out of them also. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

Try the Swedish Gillette if you have any left and then the Feather.

In Gio's large sampler I find that the Astra Superior, Treet Blue Special, and Sputnik work for me. YMMV
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Thanks for the input. I tried the Swedish Gillettes today in the fatboy and had better shave than with the Derbys.

Any other input on the blades from Gio's x-large sampler would be helpful before I begin going through them.

Chris
jsnchurch

Post by jsnchurch »

I agree with Steve, the Crystals/Israeli's give me a great shave in my 1959 Fatboy set at 5. The adjustments make a big difference with closeness.

YMMV, but I started on 3, and quickly moved to 4. No irritation, which was very nice, but not very close either. Setting 5 gives me a close enough shave with the Israeli blade, and if I'm careful it won't irritate, but will if I "push it". I haven't tried setting 6 since I don't see a need to be more aggressive.

I never had much luck with the Derby's. The Swedish Gillettes were a very nice and smooth blade, but the smoothness seemed to wear off after about 3 shaves. I seem to get 6-7 shaves regularly out of my Israeli's, so that's what I bulk ordered. I could try different blades to find that perfect one, but I just wanted one that I could use for about a week, easy to find, and affordable.

Also, as I understand it, the optimum Gillette shave angle is quite different than with a Merkur, but I haven't used a Merkur. So it may take some trial and error to get it just right.

Good luck with it. I got my E4 Fatboy from my grandfather and have been enjoying it quite a bit.
Best,
Jason

E4 Fatboy setting 5
Israeli Super + Platinum
C.O.Bigelow + Aqua Velva Ice Blue = Nice-N-Icey
jsnchurch

Post by jsnchurch »

Hey, I joined SMF forum the day after you did. Crazy!!!
Best,
Jason

E4 Fatboy setting 5
Israeli Super + Platinum
C.O.Bigelow + Aqua Velva Ice Blue = Nice-N-Icey
redbike

Post by redbike »

alabamalawyer wrote:Thanks for the input. I tried the Swedish Gillettes today in the fatboy and had better shave than with the Derbys.

Any other input on the blades from Gio's x-large sampler would be helpful before I begin going through them.

Chris
Chris,

If you like the Swedes, you will probably find the 7am's wanting. Swedes are my favorite blade in any of my 30 Gillettes. The 7am's were fairly sharp, and did a "Derby decent" job on my cheeks, but also irritated my sensitive neck skin.

But I subscribe to the YMMV adage, so give them a go.

Trying the Astra Plats tomorrow & will report back.

jim