Any Bay Rum lovers out there?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Mr. Choo-Choo

Any Bay Rum lovers out there?

Post by Mr. Choo-Choo »

Don't ask me why, I have never even smelled Bay Rum, but it's gaining an allure in my mind that I might want to explore. Maybe it's the old pirate in me, or maybe the alcoholic. Does anyone have a specific recommendation? Royall? Bigelow? I sort of prefer aftershave balms to splashes, but am ready to try anything. Ideas anyone?
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey Choo-Choo,
I'm a fellow bay rumaholic, I love the stuff. I have used only the splashes though becaause I don't like to use balms, but that is just me. If you will take a splash recommendation I will say find a bottle of Dominica bay rum. They make a regular and a lime variety but I prefer the regular. It is a nice soothing a/s with a little burn, great scent also. I have tried the Bigelow, Pinaud, Ogallala, but I prefer the Dominica. The Bigelow was weaker in scent and the Pinaud way too clovey for my tastes. The Ogallala is a very unique bay rum as it smells like no other I have tried. It is a love or hate scent (thanx s~s). You can find the Dominica for about $15 at classicshaving.com . hope this helps out 8)

p.s. nice to see a fellow channel islander in the herd. I was born and raised in Ventura and lived there most of my life.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening. There have been some longish threads fairly recently on Bay Rums; you might wish to check our Search function. FWIW, I think about the finest bay rum going is the D R Harris's. Personally, I'd never use it as an actual aftershave, though, but rather as a cologne. St. Johns in the Virgin Islands also does a classic one.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon, how do you use bay rum as a cologne? I'm a reguler user of BR (Pinaud, Dominica, Royall, Booster) and none of these has the strong scent or lasting power of a cologne; I like to dowse my face with them and splash a bit on my shoulders and chest...but as a cologne?
prism

Post by prism »

I found the Royall and the St. John's Bay Rums to be very long-lasting and pleasantly pungent, but YMMV.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rufus, Personally, I never use heavily alcohol based type A/Ss on my freshly shaven skin. They just don't agree with me; irritation inevitably follows. Some of the Booster stuff is the outer limit in that line of what I can more or less get away with.....at least the Polar Ice, which is the only one I've tried. But, maybe half the scents I still own are techniqually labelled as 'Aftershave'; Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet and English Fern, and Knize Ten, when I still had it, among others. With potent scents, like the Knize, I often prefer the scent in the less intense A/S format. I use them exactly the same as I do regular 'colognes'; that is, I shake a little out in my palm, and slap it on to the sides and back of my neck, and on my wrists. Including bay rums.
Regards,
Gordon
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

There are actual Bay Rum colognes out there, not just aftershaves. If you want something that smells wonderful and will last all day, check out the bay rum from Saint Charles' Shave. Great stuff. Also, Bonny Doon Farm makes a very good Bay Rum. Both are worth checking out.
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I haven't checked recently, but I've been trying to get a bottle of D. R. Harris Bay Rum for about 6 months, and they've been out of it. So have all the other vendors I've checked.

Rick
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Timpac, unfortunately neither SCS nor BDF will ship alcohol-based aftershaves or colognes to Canada.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

I have a very large bottle of Masters Bay Rum. It's very strong stuff. I don't even remember where I bought it. I only wear Bay Rum in the cold weather. That means I don't wear it too often in Charlotte, NC.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Dang shipping problems.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I especially like the Bonny Doon Farm bay rum. I'm glad it's Fall, which is when I bring out the bay rum.

Dave
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I just recently ordered the Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and cologne.
The aftershave smells great,the cologne has alot more bay in it but it settles down pretty quick. It definately was strong enough and I didn't even order the special reserve that supposedly has even more bay in it.
One warning, they also sent me a sample of their Bay Rum with lime and peppercorns. It was horrific, way too may strong scents all at once.
Bob
Bob
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I like Booster's Bay Rum and Master Bay Rum.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I love Bay Rum. It's a great scent. Aftershave, cologne, shave soap, I even considered making my own at one time.
MMayle

Post by MMayle »

I bought a bottle of Dominica Bay Rum on a whim but I'm not sure that I'm sold on it just yet.
Montani Semper Liberi
Drummer

Post by Drummer »

Anyone tried Lucky Tiger's version? I just ordered their brushless shave cream and a 16oz bottle of their bay rum...
Joe
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

MiloFinch wrote:I love Bay Rum. It's a great scent. Aftershave, cologne, shave soap, I even considered making my own at one time.
We had another member make his own bay rum and was never heard from again :shock: .

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

Burts Bees (IF YOU CAN FIND IT) Bay Rum Aftershave Balm
Aubry Organics Mens Stock "Island Spice" Aftershave Balm
-Both have Menthol to boot. :D

Also,
Pinaud
Masters
ST Johns
Col Conk (if you like root beer and bay rum)
I just got some Supiror 70, cant wait to give it a shot.
Will - "Doc"