One year ago today

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
tonyespo
The Goldfather

One year ago today

Post by tonyespo »

It was Oct 9th 2007 that I was told I had diabetes, exactly 1 year ago. I still have diabetes, but I have lost 34 lbs, my A1C has gone down from 7.6 to 5.5 and my Meds have been reduced twice. I still have 26 pounds to lose, but I am hoping that on Oct 9th 2008 I will be able to report that I have lost the weight. This is also the anniversary of my giving up alcohol. I haven't had a single drop of anything alcoholic in a year. That I am very proud of as I was drinking a quart of gin a week and wine and beer. Any wonder that I am a diabetic?

I want to thank everyone for all the encouraging words and well wishes this past year. You gents are a great support group.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
soulshine

Post by soulshine »

kudos to you tony! =D>

s~s
DEF

Post by DEF »

Has it been a year already? Geez, that was fast. (Easy for me to say; I wasn't giving up gin and all the other carby goodness.)

Big congratulations to you on your discipline and improved health!

If you'll excuse a metaphor, here, I had a realization this week. The wife and I are getting our house ready to market. We're doing all those little touch ups like oiling the woodwork, cleaning up the trim, washing the windows, changing out ratty doorstops, etc. We've got the place well on its way now. Last night I was sitting looking at the kitchen cabinets, and I said, "Now why is it that we'll do all these things for prospective buyers, but we were more than happy to settle for less for ourselves? We could have been enjoying these lustrous cabinets all along!" I think that observation is true for much in life. Whether it's keeping up a nice home, buffing up the Boxter (or Corolla in my case), or making the most of our health, the key is constant vigilance and continual maintenance effort. Huzzah for Tony for showing us how it's done!

Regards,
Doug
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Doug, in my case is was having a quality of life or having bad health. I was content being FAT and drinking 2 martini's everyday. Had I remained healthy I would still be doing it. Once the diabetes hit it was change or die. With that facing me I made the choice to change my ways.

It's easy to let yourself go as long as you don't feel bad. We have dust bunnies in my house too. :cry:
Last edited by tonyespo on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go for the GOLD.

yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Well done Mr Espo ..., time to update that photo.

Regards
John
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Well done. And aren't you feeling better physically (more energy, easier to move, etc.)?
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Leisureguy wrote:Well done. And aren't you feeling better physically (more energy, easier to move, etc.)?
Michael, exactly.... I feel like I'm 10 years younger. People just don't know how important keeping their weigh down is. Even losing 10 pounds makes a big difference in how you feel.
Go for the GOLD.

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Tony, congrats and also kudos for making this public. You also inspire others and I am back to running because of reading of your travails. Doug makes a salient point that we sometimes accept less for ourselves in matters.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

My sister, I think it was, told me about something they did in one of her weight-loss groups. When someone had lost 10 pounds, to help them understand the effects, they gave them a 10-lb bag of flour or sugar to hold and had them get up out of a chair holding it. And I think they also had a prop: 10 lbs of beef fat to look at and think about. It was frighteningly large. They'd bring it out, let everyone look at it, then put it back into the freezer for the next time. :)
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Tony,

Congratulations on your success. I can personally vouch for how well you look in person (he smells good too). To me, you don't look like you have to lose anymore weight but I'm not a doctor. ( but I did drive a Porsche past a Holiday Day Inn Express once)

Keep up the good work. You and Sam are making us docile guys look bad.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Attaboy Tony!!!

We want pics, please. Before and after.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Good job Tony. You certainly give me inspiration to get on the ball about my own fitness level. I figure if an old geez...ah...what I mean is if an older gentleman such as yourself can do it, surely a young whipper snapper like myself can too! :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Good job, Tony. You are an inspiration and example for us all.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Good on ya, Tony! May the discipline you brought to this year stick with you through the next (and many more after that)!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Great job Tony. twenty six thumbs up and all of that.

Personal question: When you gave up the liquor, did you just wake up one day and say "I quit!!" or did you plan it advance?

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

fallingwickets wrote:Great job Tony. twenty six thumbs up and all of that.

Personal question: When you gave up the liquor, did you just wake up one day and say "I quit!!" or did you plan it advance?

Clive
I came home from the doctor poured the 1/2 bottle of gin down the drain and declared to my wife that I had quit drinking. I haven't touched a drop of anything with alcohol. I guess you call that cold turkey.
Go for the GOLD.

Tommynick

Post by Tommynick »

Great news. Congratulations. Keep up the great work.

Both you and Sam are an inspiration. I was done 35 lb but it is slowly creeping back on again. I'm getting back into my gym routine again after reading your posts.

Keep it up gentlemen!!!
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

Yes Tony you are an inspiration to many of us. Thanks for providing gentle reminders along the way. By doing this you keep us on our toes.
Congrats on a year well done!
Steve/Bronco

Talked to Bill ( The Ear ) Today

Post by tonyespo »

I was talking to Bill ( The Ear ) Trumperman today and he asked me if I really wanted to lose another 20 lbs. I told Bill my goal was to lose 24 lbs in a year.

I want to pass this information along because that is exactly how my doctor presented it to me. He only wants me to lose 2 pounds a month. 1/2 pound a week. They means cutting back about 1700 calories a week or adding more exercise and cutting back less calories. When you put weight loss in this prespective, losing a small amount at a time, it doesn't seem hard. I urge anyone who is trying to lose weight to do it slowly.
Go for the GOLD.

texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Re: Talked to Bill ( The Ear ) Today

Post by texasPI »

tonyespo wrote:I was talking to Bill ( The Ear ) Trumperman today and he asked me if I really wanted to lose another 20 lbs. I told Bill my goal was to lose 24 lbs in a year.

I want to pass this information along because that is exactly how my doctor presented it to me. He only wants me to lose 2 pounds a month. 1/2 pound a week. They means cutting back about 1700 calories a week or adding more exercise and cutting back less calories. When you put weight loss in this prespective, losing a small amount at a time, it doesn't seem hard. I urge anyone who is trying to lose weight to do it slowly.
Tony, if you don't mind my asking, what type of exercise do you do?
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway