Back to the Feather!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
djmsalem

Back to the Feather!

Post by djmsalem »

Emboldened by the purchase of what for most men would be a lifetime's supply of My Nick Is Sealed, I have picked up the Feather Artist Club again.

As no one will remember, I had a brief and bloody flirtation with it last year, retreating to the Merkur HD after on several days getting nearly enough blood on my shirt collar to arouse police suspicion.

Thanks to a thoughtful re-reading of the instruction here (and the aforementioned MNIS), I have learned that no pressure is the best pressure, the proper angle is much shallower than with a regular straight, and a paper towel works wonders in achieving the proper gription in stretching the skin.

Today's shave, in fact, was perhaps my best of any kind, ever, and I believe it's only going to get better from here.

So, thanks to Dr. Moss and the rest of you who have shared your knowledge of shaving with the Feather AC.

Excelsior!

David
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

There are times I want to venture back and use the Japanese Feather straight. Should anyone see a half-off sale on one, please alert me.

sam
fritz

Post by fritz »

I use Feather Pro blades (cut off 5 mm) in a Schick injector. The shave is really nice, and you can get it without spending $$$$ for an Artist Club holder.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, Glad to hear that it's going better this time around. I never did quite understand how/why you had that blood bath last time. I'm going to say something that some probably won't like ( but they may not notice, tucked away in this thread....chuckle ). Personally, I think that there's really only a few legitimate reasons for going out of one's way to choose these Feather straights. The first is, of course, professional barbers, where trad. straights are genuinely prohibitated, or they absolutely refuse to take the time required to meet the health codes regarding their use. Secondly, shavegeeks....you know, who simply MUST try everything...can't help it. And thirdly, certain really long time straight razor shavers. One of my 'English contacts' father is in this last category. He's used a straight razor his entire adult life. And for most of that time, his barber had his straight(s) honed professionally for him when necessary. He'd just drop it off, and pick it up in a day or two. Well, his barber no longer provides this service, and the gent is getting elderly. He didn't really relish having to putz around with wetstones and all the rest...for him it was simply a chore. So, when his son introduced him to the Feather AC, he was delighted. Since he'd shaved only with straights for many decades, that's what he was comfortable with. But for most, I see no advantage to the AC. It's more awkward to use then a DE, and, IMO, shaves no better. The first T shaped razors were made simply for greater control and manuverability, afterall. The blades were the same as were used in straights. I understand the allure, even passion for, 'real' straights and all that goes with them, even if I don't presently share it. But if one isn't 'there', then the DE or another safety style razor is a better choice then the AC, I think. There! I said it!
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

David, congratulations on your successful mastering of the Feather AC! If you think it's great now, just wait til you've got a few months under your belt... the shaves will keep improving if you work at it. Beware though... the Feather is a temperamental mistress... she does not take kindly to being ignored for a longer period of time... I should know... I myself got caught up in the delights of carefree shaving with a DE and lost my touch... it's taken me the better part of two weeks to get my skills back up to snuff.

Gordon.

Let's just say that if I were standing next to you when you wrote that, I would have quickly taken a couple of steps to the side..... fully expecting a full bore lightning strike where you sat. :twisted:

A straight razor is not for everyone, the Feather AC perhaps even less so, but those who learn to master it will always enjoy a superb shave that cannot be equaled by a DE razor.

I must pick a few nits with your comments. :twisted:
It's more awkward to use then a DE, and, IMO, shaves no better. The first T shaped razors were made simply for greater control and manuverability, afterall.
Using that line of reasoning leads us to the ultimate conclusion that the latter T shaped razors were made for even greater control and maneuverability... so... the Rolls type came first, then they improved on it with Gillette DE, then the first fledgling cartridge razor and so on..... and now we have the Fusion... it must be better than what came before, no...? :lol:

As for the awkwardness of the straight, it is true that it requires a rather large learning curve and continued dedication, but I've found it (the Feather AC) superior in just about every way, including it's ability to mow down stubble in a couple of spots that I just cannot shave close with a DE due to the awkwardness of that very T handle...

To me the Feather AC is like a Formula One race car... it won't do a darn thing for your trip to the local grocery store compared to a family van with an automatic transmission but if you are the sort of gent that likes to take control and push yourself to your own limits, it's the only tool that will do.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Christian, No, I don't think that it does necessarily follow. My point was simply that the first T shaped razor was cooked up in the 1790s and the only reason for doing it was for greater control and manuverability, since the blade was the same anyway. The first commercial versions appeared in England in the 1840s. The progress in metallurgy, blade technology, disposibility, and marketing is a seperate story. The T shape is just basically less awkward to use, other things being equal. And personally I do not believe that the AC shaves closer then a good DE, properly used. If you disagree, that's okay.
Regards,
Gordon
djmsalem

Post by djmsalem »

Gordon, I'm just a sucker for a challenge and perhaps lacking in a full complement of common sense.

But I'm enjoying myself and learning a little something and very grateful for all the good advice and fellowship on SMF.

My best,

David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, ( chuckle ) I hear you. That was covered by the second of the three 'reasons' in my above post.
Regards,
Gordon
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Well, I definitely fall into Gordon's second category. I got in on Def's great deal and don't regret it. That being said, I don't think that the Feather will take the place of my DE. I do think that I will try trad straights in the future. I can't help it; curiosity is my siren song.

It's funny, I used my Sensor when I was learning DE, and then I was using my DE when learning the AC. I still like the Feather, but the allure has been tarnished by actually having it.

Christian, I used to agree about the stubborn spots (under my chin, along jawline, and neck), but after a month of total DE fidelity I can get the same results with a '77 SS without the skin thinning Richard speaks of.

Edit: Also, David (almost forgot this was your thread) I am glad you are having a better run this time around. I can see the allure and fun of the AC and hope everything works out in the end. I'll be keeping mine for those leisurely shaves.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>