Rose and Sandalwood cologne?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
vcowman

Rose and Sandalwood cologne?

Post by vcowman »

Joel was / is making this combination at BB, are there any Rose and Sandalwood colognes on the market and what are your favs?
Nik In San Diego
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

This is interesting.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet.....which is probably where Joel got on this kick from in the first place. And to me, Floris No 89 is also more about rose and sandalwood that any other notes.
Regards,
Gordon
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Chanel Egoiste
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Oh, also Czech & Speake No. 88.
vcowman

Post by vcowman »

really egoiste? Smells like ginger to me. all chanel colognes like allure and egoiste have a common "something" (basenote? powdery drydown?) that I have noticed, dont particularly like it.

Thanks Gordon, I will have to get a sample of Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet again, I smelled it once and it did not appeal to me.
Nik In San Diego
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

vcowman wrote:really egoiste? Smells like ginger to me. all chanel colognes like allure and egoiste have a common "something" (basenote? powdery drydown?) that I have noticed, dont particularly like it.

Thanks Gordon, I will have to get a sample of Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet again, I smelled it once and it did not appeal to me.
I'm talking about Egoiste, not Egoiste Platinum.
Egoiste notes, from basenotes.com

* Top Notes
* Sicilian Tangerine, Brazilian Rosewood.,

Middle Notes
* Coriander, Damask Rose,

Base Notes
* Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed,

Chanel scents aren't for everyone, but I love this in the winter. Also the C & S No. 88 is killer.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I'm never entirely sure about Basenotes. The chap who composed Egoiste, Jacques Polge, told me -- I think Imay have posted this before -- that when they test marketed Egoiste in the UK everyone said "Mmm: sandalwood." In the US, everyone said "Mmm: cinammon." His explanation was that Americans pick up cinammon because it's used in Mom's Apple Pie and has very positive associations; British pick up sandalwood because it's been an olfactory staple since the Raj and we're tuned to it from childhood.

Interesting, if debatable.

Egoiste is smashing stuff, very warm and suave. 88 is much more exuberant and alchymical. As for Hammam... I hate to say this, because I say it so often, but it is Not What It Was. Used to be much darker and balsamic; now it's lighter, more translucent, but still pretty damn captivating; it's just that it's like comparing western "orientalism" to the North Indian classical music from which it's derived. God, that sounds pretentious, but you know what I mean. Perhaps.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
vcowman

Post by vcowman »

I am all North Indian classical music, I play the sitar.
Nik In San Diego
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Karnatic delights! My brother is a sitar player.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Well good grief. Me too. (Nice old thun wood Hiren Roy, had it for ever.) We'll have to have an SMF concert. I vote for Rag Manomanjari, Penaligon's English Fern soap and Creed Santal Imperial cologne.) (And a lingerie model on tanpura, of course.)
Michael

vcowman

Post by vcowman »

this is my kind of crowd. I nominate Rag Kafi or Darbari.

This little firecracker can rock the tabla.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

check out that video, she really does play tabla.
Nik In San Diego
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

vcowman wrote:this is my kind of crowd. I nominate Rag Kafi or Darbari.

This little firecracker can rock the tabla.
She can join me for jawab sawal any day.

Kafi's cool but I condemn Darbari. CONDEMN it do you hear me. I don't like the komal Dha in the avarohana. (I.e. I can't play it without sounding like something off The Itchy & Scratchy Show. Something wrong with my sitar, obviously. I must get it seen to. :roll: )
Michael

vcowman

Post by vcowman »

personally I dont care for Darbari either, its just been ground into me that its a royal raag and the ultimate "performance oriented" raag. It is my Guru's favorite raag. komal dha does not sound good on mine either.

Yeah Kafi, Jilakafi, Malkauns, Billaval, Bharavi and Aasavari are what I like to rock. the tiver (sharp) ma seems a bit out of place on the sitar though for vocal on the harmonium I think its a good fit. Ideally I would like to do an album like Sujat Khan where he sings and plays. I think thats the future of sitar, even though its combining the two talents.
Nik In San Diego