Forget the Simpson label, let's look at the stamp

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TorzJohnson

Forget the Simpson label, let's look at the stamp

Post by TorzJohnson »

I have to admit, I like my Simpson better without the label on it. I think part of the Simpsons charm is the laboriously-applied lamp black stamping. Looking at my T3, for instance, I can tell by looking at it that no less than four different stamps have touched it's curvaceous body.

First, it's obvious that Simpson found it more economical to just buy one T stamp, and then use individual numbers to denote the sizes rather than to buy one whole T( ) stamp for each size. The 3 sits a bit lower than the T and it apparently prefers to keep its distance. Below that, the words Super Badger are in a different and smaller font, less deeply applied and lighter in color. Then below all, the word SIMPSON proudly proclaims its sovereignty over all other brushes.

If I ever saw a Simpson with perfect lettering, I think I would be disappointed.
Jim

John 5

Re: Forget the Simpson label, let's look at the stamp

Post by John 5 »

TorzJohnson wrote:If I ever saw a Simpson with perfect lettering, I think I would be disappointed.
I have to agree with you, Jim.

If I had to lodge one item of discontent with the Rooneys, it would be with the font and overall composition of their badging, and to a lesser extent, the color of the handles. Sterile, monochromatic, devout of some intangible soul, the opposite of how I would describe the same of the Simpsons.

I do think they are making some progress, Rooney, that is.. moving in the right direction with their new Heritage line. I had my designs on that Emillion handle from the first moment I saw it. The fact that to me it appears to have a perfect loft was just the icing on the cake. Mighty good icing, too..but I'll leave that for another thread, don't want to bombard this thread with endless babble as if I had the heart of a lion.

John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Forget the @#$%& stamp, polish the label.... :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by drP on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
John 5

Post by John 5 »

drP wrote:Foreget the @#$%& stamp, polish the label.... :evil: :twisted:
Peter, when the Spirit of Ecstasy tried to sneak off from by beloved Polo 8, it fell intact and without any ailments. I kept her, and have been pondering this very issue...but I don't know, with Lyrt's semi-successful attempt, I'm ambivalent...I'll be making a decision some time about the polish..

John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Just do it, following Lyrts advice. I polished all my 40+ Simpsons, some perfectly, some "lesser perfect"...but the label adds so much more class to a Simpsons brush....
Peter
John 5

Post by John 5 »

drP wrote:Just do it..
I love it!..no ambivalence on your end, ah?

But yes, I'm leaning more towards slapping the label back.

Here's one exchange I'm looking forward too: 'My dear, may I please borrow one of your nail polishes? And if you will, dig up for me the one you feel has the best hardening properties while pocessing little to no shine...Thanks honey, I'll be in the bathroom..."

John
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

John 5 wrote:

Here's one exchange I'm looking forward too: 'My dear, may I please borrow one of your nail polishes? And if you will, dig up for me the one you feel has the best hardening properties while pocessing little to no shine...Thanks honey, I'll be in the bathroom..."

John
How far can metrosexuality go...... :wink:
Peter
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I wouldn’t do the same mistake twice. The brush of my nail varnish was too small to avoid two strokes. If you wait for the first stroke to dry, there will be no problem. I’ll keep this in mind when I find that elusive Tulip with Manchurian hair and ivory handle. 8)
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I prefer it without the label as well. Maybe I've just convinced myself of this so that I don't get upset when they fall off.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

drP wrote:... but the label adds so much more class to a Simpsons brush....
Add class to a Simpson? You must pack coals when you visit Newcastle. :)
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Kyle76 wrote:
drP wrote:... but the label adds so much more class to a Simpsons brush....
Add class to a Simpson? You must pack coals when you visit Newcastle. :)
...more class....
Peter
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

drP wrote:...but the label adds so much more class to a Simpsons brush....
Aha, but sometimes removing something actually makes it better: the roof from a '57 Chevy convertible... The toupee from Sean Connery's head... the beard from David Letterman... Marv Albert's teeth from a prostitute's neck... and the label from my beloved naked T3.
Jim

John 5

Post by John 5 »

TorzJohnson wrote:Marv Albert's teeth from a prostitute's neck...
:lol:

No comment.
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

John 5 wrote:
TorzJohnson wrote:Marv Albert's teeth from a prostitute's neck...
:lol:

No comment.
The story's 10 years old, but I figured somebody had to remember it. 8)
Jim

John 5

Post by John 5 »

For those not in the know, or just not too cognizant circa 1997..here's the Cliff notes of dear Marv...
Albert became the focus of a media frenzy in 1997, when he went on trial for felony charges of forcible sodomy, which involved the alleged repeated biting of a female sex partner. A 42-year-old woman (who had had a 10-year sexual relationship with him, including phone sex, threesomes, and Albert wearing women's underwear while having sex) accused Albert of throwing her on a bed in a Virginia hotel, biting her on the back 15 times, sodomizing her, and forcing her to perform oral sex on him. Albert charged that the woman was seeking revenge as he was ending their relationship to marry another woman. After DNA tests proved that the bite marks were his, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery charges, while the sodomy charge was dropped. Albert was given a 12-month suspended sentence and ordered to continue undergoing counseling.
John
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

John 5 wrote:

John
Been there ... and the inevitable question - why do you need my nail polish?

Suck it up, and get it done man.

BTW - I have Simpsons in both states (with / without label) - definitely looks better with the label.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Beethoven

Post by Beethoven »

Isn't the Simpson's label much like the "Passed" sticker on Japanese cameras. They ain't meant to stay!

I think my Chubby 3 simply looks right - proper, if you will - without the label (no offence meant to the most estimable Dr. P.!!!).

By the way, to lose the label, just wait; in use, water will eventually dissolve its adhesive. I once used 99% isopropol alcohol to remove a label from a different Simpsons brush, and the alcohol also sadly removed much of the lampblack stamp.

But, to each, his own!

My best to all,
Mike Bradley
Horse Shaver

Post by Horse Shaver »

When I was a kid and my brother got a train set he was ULTRA careful with everything from the boxes to the track and wires etc...it had to be perfect.

When I got a train set I was setting up train wrecks with my hot wheels and devising exploding box cars (fire crackers) :evil:

I would guess my brother would want his labels intact--but he's not a wetshaver.

Me...eh...just use the friggin' brush! If it falls off it falls off... Now where are my M80s? :wink:
Jeff

I'm just here for the free beer!
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

The label on my new Simpson Major that I got last Friday fell off tonight on its fourth use. Guess I didn't have much time to get attached to it :lol: . I think it was just held on with spit or something. :o
I will vote though it looks better without it.
It came off in one piece but instead of trying to put it back on I just put it on the side of my Feather blade-safe, figure that won't get wet and can still admire the label on occasion if I get the urge to reminisce on my 5 days as a Simpsons-with-label owner.
I also have the sharpest looking 99-cent blade safe in town now. :wink:
Rob