Chubby 1 in Best

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

rustyblade wrote:It doesn't lather as easy, holds too much water, too stout, and the handle becomes slippery. Sort of like a short, stout Irish fellow who drinks too much, can hold his urine way too long, and then when you actually need his help he throws up (and I might as well say it: too much Guinness) all over himself.
:lol:
Mike
Horse Shaver

Post by Horse Shaver »

Rusty,
The Ch2 Best I just bought from Lee could be a twin of your Ch1 in terms of the bristle. My CH2 Best seems a little more even in coloration and the tips are a shade whiter. But like you, I have owned CH1 in both finest and Manchurian and was not happy with either grade. I found the CH1 a little too small, a little too dense, and in the case of the Manchurian--a little too scrubby.
Relative the to CH1, My CH2 Best has a nearly perfect, to my hand, size/feel. The knot is both larger with more loft and seems to hold a lot of lather. Its also a slightly nicer looking knot with a bit more of a fan shape.

Are we wacked or what?
Jeff

I'm just here for the free beer!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Yeah, that pretty much sums up my take on it as well. But it's odd. One would think that if one liked one, you would like the other. That Rooney Super, Style 1, small was kind of an on-the-spot 'impulse buy', which is something that I hardly ever do; not with brushes anyway. But I went for it partially because I'd been so pleased with the CH1 Best that I briefly had. Ah, well.....
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Well, better result today. Turns out the Chubby isn't that a good brush for shave sticks, it is better suited to mashing it around a soap dish (or bowl if that's your thing) a bit to transfuse the soap slag with the dihydrogen monoxide held in the breech so it flows freely throughout the bucket.

But the T2 is better suited for this anyway.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Ummm....yeah...that is something that I hadn't considered; that you usually use a soap stick these days. I suspect that that might make some difference in one's take on a number of different brushes; not just the CH1 Best.
Regards,
Gordon
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

rustyblade wrote: But the T2 is better suited for this anyway.
I can't tell you how frightening it is that in looking up the specs on the T2, I find it within my ideal brush size...

-Dan
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Horse Shaver wrote:Rusty,
The Ch2 Best I just bought from Lee could be a twin of your Ch1 in terms of the bristle. My CH2 Best seems a little more even in coloration and the tips are a shade whiter. But like you, I have owned CH1 in both finest and Manchurian and was not happy with either grade. I found the CH1 a little too small, a little too dense, and in the case of the Manchurian--a little too scrubby.
Relative the to CH1, My CH2 Best has a nearly perfect, to my hand, size/feel. The knot is both larger with more loft and seems to hold a lot of lather. Its also a slightly nicer looking knot with a bit more of a fan shape.

Are we wacked or what?

Hi,

CH2 is a rather good size. Others might find CH3 large.
Me, on the other hand find them to be good sizes though, YMMV.

I, too, find the CH1 handle rather short and stout.
Months ago, I had send a CH1 flying to the wall while shaking it dry. A chip developed but was fixed with super glue.

Regards,
Jason
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

LostInCincy wrote:
rustyblade wrote: But the T2 is better suited for this anyway.
I can't tell you how frightening it is that in looking up the specs on the T2, I find it within my ideal brush size...

-Dan
It's as close to perfect as I've found so far!
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

This little brush is growing on me...a bit... I still find the handle too short, but getting used to it.
Richard
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Richard, I saw one of these in the flesh yesterday for the first time. It did strike me as being quite small for a brush which is named 'Chubby'......personally, I think it would be a tad too small for my liking.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gareth, for one used to smaller brushes the loft is quite adequate, but the handle usually ends up covered in lather.
Richard
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Richard, yeah I can see how you might have that problem with it. Personally, I've always been slightly put off the Chubby by the price. The Duke brushes seem a far better buy, although I would imagine the knot is slightly different. Do you have any experience with the Duke brushes to compare with the Chubby? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Yeah, that was my only beef with the CH1 Best that I used for a bit......the handle was just too short to be comfortable for me. If it had been even a little bit longer I would have bought that brush in a instant as the working end of it was just aces, I thought. Especially with soaps in those wooden bowls....it was really nice. The guy was willing to sell it for a bargain price to boot. But I just couldn't quite come to grips with, as it were, that stubby handle. But since, I've oft regretted not buying it when I could have.
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gareth, I've never handled a duke.

Hard not to want to love this little brush though. It's just so darn cute.
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Horse Shaver wrote:Rusty,

Are we wacked or what?
I just sold a CH1 as the brush handle was small. Knotwise, it was fine, and the bristle was soft, but it tended to open up. Not as much as a Kent BK8, which to me just really opened all the way up and the badger looked like it was split down the middle. No, my CH1 was more like half of that, which was not bad. But when compared to my Rooney Finest, it seemed denser, shorter loft, but it did not have the bounce-back feeling of the Rooney Finest.

My dilemna, if you will, is either a CH2 or another Rooney, maybe a Heritage.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

The Chubby 2 (Super) was the one recommended to me back just after the Great Pre-Cambrian Proliferation by my old barber at Trumper (when it still was Trumper, of course.) Long before any of our new-found shaving wisdom was around, he said "The main job of a shaving brush is to carry water to the beard. The denser the brush, the better it does the job. It's not as easy to whip up mountains of froth, but it will give you a better shave. If you disagree after a month, I'll give you your money back."

It's still, I think, my favourite brush, many years on. But, yes, there is a certain amount of what we'll call The Guinness Issue about it...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Gareth,

I have never used a Duke, but a Chubby 2 Best or Super will be a good choice.

Regards,
Jason