Taylor's

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Pen-in-Hand

Taylor's

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

These creams are about half as expensive as others such as Truefitt? How are they by comparison?

Thanks.
jojo

Post by jojo »

I had had what I thought was just an ok experience with Taylors stuff a year or so ago when I was starting out with wetshaving (after twenty five years of goo and cartridges). I decided just recently to go back and give it a try again. I'm now a convert. I must say, I think it's first rate stuff -- on par with the other T's, in my opinion -- at least the creams.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

It used to be that T&H and Trumper's cremes were worth the premium you paid over Taylors. Recent reformulations have turned that all around, and I certainly plan to add a couple tubs of Taylor's to my shave tack soon. I've used several in the past (rose, avacado, lemon/lime, lavendar) and been pleased; Trumpers simply used to be better.

Right now I'm very fond of T&H Luxury soap...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Pen-in-Hand

Sandlewood?

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

I've posted my dislike of the rather heavy after-scent of Sandlewood previously. I wonder if you've tried it and what your opinion is.

Thanks.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I'm a Taylors junkie. I flirt with soaps and sticks, but my "go-to" is Taylors Sandalwood. I also lke Taylors Rose and Taylors Lemon & Lime. But they're all from tubs. I had a bad experience with a tube - it didn't seem the same at all. I've tried Trumpers, Truefitts and Floris as well. They're all good but Taylors is the equal of any (IMHO).

Don't let the price put you off - it means you can buy twice as many!

IanS
Pen-in-Hand

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

Thanks, Ian. The price is VERY seductive.

J.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jay, See my post regarding Taylors on your other thread. Speaking of these classic English products before any recent 'problems', Taylors was always obviously the 'best buy' of all the top shelf creams. Whether or not it was quite 'as good' as the more expensive ones was a matter of endless debate, and everyone had their favourites. Personally I was most fond of Coate's, but I was also among the first to bring the old forum's attention to the great buys that Taylors were, and to generally beat the drum for them. They were superb shaving creams, at a much more reasonable price.....and they still largely are, as far as I can tell.
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

J

I haven't tried their soaps yet, but TOBS creams are probably the best bang for the buck out there, IMO. In particular, the Avocado - if you like the scent.
-Andrew-
Pen-in-Hand

Avocado

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

Yes, my favorite, too.
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I really like the TOBS creams. I have most scents and enjoy them all and the shave they give. There are definitely worth trying out.
Chris
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I enjoy TOBS creams a lot. I have the Lemon & Lime, Rose, Almond and Avocado. Great bargain and a top performer. Vulfix Sandalwood, Proraso and Taylor are the mainstays of my creams arsenal.

Dave
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Absolutely worth a try, although some (such as me) see a bit of skin irritation with the heavily dyed creams like rose and lavender.

--Glenn
jlmwrite

Post by jlmwrite »

I absolutely love TOBS. Definitely a "best buy"among the high end creams, and their performance is a best in class.
"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H** no!" -- Animal House, 1978
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Taylor's Shaving Shop and Mr. Taylor's along with the Avocado are my favorites. I prefer soaps, but these creams stay in my rotation. Kicking T&H 1805 down the list.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Before I became an addict, I used taylors soaps.....sandalwood and lavender. For you taylors cream fans thinking about soap, their product is quite decent.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ubuntu

Post by ubuntu »

Rose, Lavender and Avocado are my favourites, rose scented cream is probably one of the best shaving cream on the market...
"The" Max
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

ubuntu wrote:Rose, Lavender and Avocado are my favourites, rose scented cream is probably one of the best shaving cream on the market...
I agree entirely, regardless of price...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
scott s

Post by scott s »

I use mostly Taylors cream, The lemon and Lime is the only fragrance that I don't particularly like.
My only Taylors hard soap that I have is Sandalwood which I like a lot (but a few people do not like the scent of that one)

Scott
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level!"
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

TOBS Lavender soap is my daily goto.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

The TOBS rose cream is one of my favortes. The scent is great, moisterizing is excellent as is the lathering and slickness.