getting a injector?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
GC

getting a injector?

Post by GC »

hey guys

just going through the whole DE learning path at the moment

just off track though, the guy at shaveblog.com seems to imply that the injectors are as good as the DE but without the specific DE techniques needed. Any thoughts?

I'm currently trying to use a 1952 superspeed with derbies and i guess am having the same probs as most newbies. It's just tempting to have something easier which the injector appears to be from the googling I did.

cheers
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey GC, the injector is easier to use and less inclined to nicks or other scrapes. So is a Bic disposable for that matter as it is just a version of the injector.

What sort of problems are you having?
Regards,
Squire
rocketv8

Post by rocketv8 »

I think in a way, an injector can be a little easier. It is a more aggressive razor though, so it is not as forgiving as some DE razors. The smaller head size makes it a bit easier to work under the nose.

I get a great shave with mine. I think the thicker blade is better for courser hair.
GC

Post by GC »

hey squire,

I'll make a new topic to help anyone who searches in future
fn2shave

Post by fn2shave »

I have tried the injector and the featherjector, but I find DEs to be easier on your skin. A part of the problem is that there is not much to choose from what is availaible in injector blades.

I know that you will still try an injector and maybe a featherjector and it is worth experiencing if you want to be a true shave geek. :wink:
Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet s**t! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice right, but he springs this serious GOURMET s**t on us! What flavor is this?
asat00

Post by asat00 »

on shaveblog.com he referenced a post on the wet shaversgroup on msn. some guy cut down a feather shavette blade to fit an injector and had the shave of his life. I, myself, have not taken the plunge to try injectors yet but it sounded ingenious.
I reject your reality and substatute my own.
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

As someone who uses his injector daily, I have to sing its praises. I absolutely love it. The thicker blade is better for my courser hair and the ted pella blades are quite cheap. A year supply costs me about $20.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
GC

Post by GC »

where do you get the blades from?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

There are 3 sources, with two of them making an exact fit. One of the two is Schick, and their older American-made blades are probably the best. They now make their blades in Germany. The other one that fits exactly is Personna (American Safety Razor), which uses a partly plastic blade package. All store brands have this blade. You can see that the blade packages for, say, CVS and Personna are the same. These are the blades that Ted Pella sells.

The third source is Feather, which makes a slightly longer blade that can be cut to fit.

The least expensive quick source for a small quantity is probably CVS, if there's one near you.
GC

Post by GC »

thanks all

looking on ebay there are a lot.

Do you think an adjustable one like this would be a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PAL-U-S-A-ADJUST ... dZViewItem
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

That's a Pal razor, not a Schick, and it's quirkier. And the price in that auction is way too high.

There were some posts some time ago about how to use this razor. It's not intuitively obvious. The Schick adjustable is easier to use, but it's not cheap.

There's an older (non-adjustable) Pal injector (Injectomatic or maybe "Injecto-Matic") that's pretty nice, and should be available for moderate prices:

There are two fairly inexpensive Schicks from the 1950's:

The longer handled one has a weak connection between the head and the handle, though.

Below is the one is the one I consider the Schick injector razor, the one to compare all others against for shaving:

The adjustable model came after that, and then these two models:

Last edited by Pauldog on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi GC,
I agree with Paul when he says the black handle 'L' type is excellent. I've used a number of those and got very nice shaves with em. I have a different personal favorite to suggest.
To me, the best injector has the capability to adjust exactly how aggressive it will be. Yeah......... just like an adjustable DE razor does. That would be the 'M' type schick. A little different handle design than the 'L', but feels as good. That adjustment feature though...........very handy in many cases. It DOES work, as you can see when turning the knob.
Unfortunately, they can be pricey on ebay, but sometimes deals come up here. Otherwise, as Paul says, the 'L' is a great choice.
Hope that helps, (and just my opinion of course)
Martin
Oh, I should also mention that the 'J' types are also very good shavers, and usually a bit less $ than the others.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The "J" is the model I pictured that had the longer whitish handle. If it weren't for the weak head-handle connection, I'd recommend it without reservation. It doesn't take all that much strength to rip the head from the handle. The shorter handled one pictured above it should shave about as well.
Last edited by Pauldog on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Here are two older and rarer Schick models:

And here is one of the models with the "Bakelite" handle - this particular one actually is Bakelite, but not all of them were:

Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

Ok, so I am using the Injector clone that was sold by Nationwide Campus awhile back. I got it not quite 8 months ago now. What type is it supposed to emulate?
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think the Nationwide Campus one was a copy of the last model made, which is the sixth picture I posted - the one in the package marked INJECTOR.