Parker 3-piece razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Janus

Parker 3-piece razors

Post by Janus »

Hello Gents !

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post here. I have been wet shaving with a DE for a couple of years now and currently own three Merkur razors: Futur, 38C and 23C. Having drooled over the Edwin Jagger razors in the English Shaving Co. website I thought I'd try and subdue my RAD (most likely in vain, yes, I know) with something less pricey for the moment, though.

The Executive Shaving Co. has some Parker razors and I'm particularly interested in three models, namely 71R, 89R and 91R as seen here:

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shav ... er-71r.php

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shav ... rs-89r.php

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shav ... or-91r.php

They do look awfully nice in the pics and IMO seem to be most likely 3-piece razors even though they are advertised on the web site as having a "butterfly opening mechanism". The razor heads seem similar to that of Merkur classic of fixed head.

Does anyone here have more information about these? Perhaps compare them to Merkurs? How they shave, how is the build quality etc? I mean these aren't exactly cheap either.

Your opinions would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Janus
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Janus,
I think that Parker razors are crap, to put it bluntly. I know some gents enjoy using them but I think they are an absolute rip-off. If you could pick one up locally for $5 then they might make an adequate beginner's razor. The build quality isn't anywhere close to being as good as Merkur. The Parker razor that I had (No84 I believe) was made from the same cheesy die cast metal they use to make Matchbox cars. The shave was quite harsh as well. Save your money for the Edwin Jagger.
Brett
Janus

Post by Janus »

Thanks for the quick reply, Brett. I was afraid myself that beauty was only chrome deep in this case. Oh well, no harm done and no money wasted.

Janus
AFG

Post by AFG »

I have a 22R. Its okay I guess but just doesn't do it for me. Its more aggressive than a Merkur and the quality seems okay but I just don't care for the razor. Should put it up for sale one of these days as its hardly been used.
Al
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Welcome to the board Janus!
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Even if the Parkers are not absolutely 100% crap, that website would be charging way too much for them even if the prices were in dollars rather than pounds. That overpricing and nice photography gives the illusion of high-end equipment and exploits RAD.

If you want to indulge some RAD and get something better for an infinitely better price, go to a few local antique stores and look for razors. Or look into single edge razors Gem, Ever Ready, etc.), and see how affordable they usually are on eBay.
wojtec76

Post by wojtec76 »

I had (No84 I believe) was made from the same cheesy die cast metal they use to make Matchbox cars
I am a reseller Parker so I am not objective but 84R received new head, the same like in 71,89,91 models