Which rebristle to choose? Shavemac vs. Rooney

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
phishkabob

Which rebristle to choose? Shavemac vs. Rooney

Post by phishkabob »

Hello,

I recently received a genuine horn handle from Kimson and I am in the process of deciding what kind of knot to have mounted in it. I really want this brush to be something special, as it is a 30th birthday present to myself. I have been in contact with both Bernd at Shavemac and Lee Sabini at Rooney, and this is where my conundrum begins. Bernd said that he can provide a special silvertip grade that is more dense than that he typically offers (as described in several other posts). Lee said that he can not provide his finest grade (as it requires special handle preparation and modification), but he can mount the hair used in the new heritage line. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either brush manufacturer...

I am hoping that more experienced members can help give me direction. I want a very dense brush with a relativey stiff backbone and soft tips (who doesn't?). I do not want a floppy mop or super scratchy boar-like experience :lol: . I know that knot-quality is subjective, but I want to get the most for my money. If both knots were the same price, which do you feel would provide the highest quality (again, I understand this is somewhat subjective, but I want opinions :wink: ). Honestly, I would like to have the highest quality silvertip I can find mounted in this handle.

I appreciate your feedback!!!!

-Sam
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

The Heritage series bristle is about as fine as it gets IMO. It is a nice balance of soft feel yet firm performance. I much prefer it to Shavemac hair though I know nothing of the "special" grade Bernd has mentioned to you and even to Plisson HMW or Rooney finest hair. Good luck and honetly either choice would make a fine brush.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'd go with Rooney and next year order another with a Shavemac knot.
Regards,
Squire
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

My personal choice would be the Rooney grade of bristle. I've heard nothing but good news about the bristle in the Heritage brushes.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

IF Bernd really has some of the old Shavemac knots available I would snap one up: you may never have the opportunity again. I have only one Shavemac with the old style hair, an XXL that is wonderful on the face.
Bernd won't mind if you ask him if it is the old-style hair.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

If you went with Rooney Heritage then it would be that mythical brush gents were yabbering on about in another thread.
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

You can not go wrong with the Rooney. I have not had the pleasure of seeing or using a Heritage line brush, but I am so impressed with the Rooney Finest bristle that anything really pales in comparison and I have imposed an embargo on myself to try to go out and find something else. I do have a CHubby 1 by Simpson in Best and maybe that one gets traded, but you will have to pry that Rooney from ......

However, Shavemac, given its pricepoint and the value of it, has to be considered. I know Rooney has several grades, where as there is not as many grades with Shavemac. Shavemac used to be lower in price in comparison making it a much better value than it may be today.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I would choose an Emillion loft implanted into your horn handle from Vietnam...
Peter
ZiggyDeath

Post by ZiggyDeath »

I can't say anything about the old Shavemac knots since I have no experience with them, however I like my Shavemacs much more than my Heritage Stubby 2. How much does a heritage knot cost anyhow??
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

So what did you decide? I have a brush I'm considering re-bristling.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
phishkabob

Post by phishkabob »

I am going the Rooney route. I have not sent the handle off yet, but plan on doing so within the next couple of days. I will post pics when I get it back.
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

phishkabob wrote:I am going the Rooney route. I have not sent the handle off yet, but plan on doing so within the next couple of days. I will post pics when I get it back.
Can you share the price range? Thanks.

J
max-s

Post by max-s »

Shavemac higher grade. I have 2 custom shavemacs higher grade hair now. You can't go wrong with either imo