How would you handle an extreme dry skin problem?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
AceHarddrive

How would you handle an extreme dry skin problem?

Post by AceHarddrive »

Hello all! I have a problem that I think is a result of my medications. It is extreme dry skin. I'm not just talking about just my face, but all over my body! My doc (GP, not a dermatologist) prescribed something called Nizoral and said to shampoo my entire head with it. Doesn't seem to work, though. How should I be handling this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
jmw19psu

Post by jmw19psu »

Tim,
have you seen a derm? Not to sound like an ad, but a good dermatologist can diagnose the cause of your dry skin, and hopefully adjust accordingly.

Nizoral is an anti-fungal treatment, most often used for dandruff. If your skin problems aren't fungal, it won't make much difference.

For the time being, a good-quality lotion may help with any itching and surface dryness you may have. I particularly like the Lubriderm range, though they can be greasy, and Cetaphil. A little more expensive, but worth it. Aveeno products, including body washes and moisturizers, may also help.
Of course, making sure you're adequately hydrated is also important. The 8-8 ounce-glasses-a-day rule is a good start (and it needn't be water; coffee and tea work just as well, despite their diuretic effects).

Still, get thee to a dermatologist pronto.
Jon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Agree with Jon about dermatologist.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I also suffer from very dry skin. I have tried lots of lotions and such. The best damn lotion I have experienced is Curel Original.

http://www.curel.com/products/original.html

This stuff works for a full 24 hours so you only have to apply it once right when you get out of the shower. End of story!

Vince
:::Vince:::
jdtx3302

Post by jdtx3302 »

There is a site called MensEssentials that has a very good forum on skin care and a lot of other stuff (Shaving of course). I know a lot of people here already know about it, just thought I would share this for anyone who didn't know.
Justin
Texas
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

While I am not partial to seeing a dermatologist myself (I've been to three in the past year and received three seperate dignosis' and treatment plans) you might fair better.
It could be a case of eczema. During the winter months many people suffer this ailment w/o knowing it.
Just a thought.
BTW, this is an older thread. How is your skin doing these days? Has it improved any?
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

I've been seriously thinking of seeing a dermatologist, especially since I have a couple of moles I'd like to have removed (no worries, I've had them all my life). Nizoral seems to help a little, but my face is as red as a stop sign. The directions say to leave it on for five minutes, but I'm not sure this is best for the face. Meanwhile, I bought a bar of Kiss My Face olive oil soap, and used it instead of CAR's cube soap. It seems that olive oil does my face good! I shaved using that plus a cake of Em's shaving soap. Great lather, even though I used an Omega boar brush. Actually, I think my dry skin has something to do with my medications (not surprising, huh?).

~Tim 8)

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave