Need help with Merkur Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
wrath186

Need help with Merkur Razors

Post by wrath186 »

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on this board for a couple of days and have finally registered. I have been wet shaving for years usually using a Mach 3, Trumpers cream soap or Crabtree & Evelyn's bowl soap and an extra large silver tip that I purchased from Shavemac.

I had started my shaving career like everyone else I suppose; a can of shave cream and and twin blade razor, but my skin is super sensitive and shaving was always like dragging barbed wire across my face. In my early twenties, out of necessity, I discovered wet shaving and have been pursuing the perfect shave ever since.

About 4 years ago I received a Merkur Vision as a gift and immediately fell in love with the design and heft. Unfortunately, I had and have no idea how to adjust or hold a DE razor and therefore it was like shaving with broken glass. After about a week of trying to use it (and donating a pint of blood facially) I gave up and put it away.

Well I re-discovered it a couple of weeks ago and tried shaving with it. I found the shave to be pleasent, but the next time I tried to use it it was horrible. The shave wasn't at all close and it was very difficult to manage.

My question, finally, is am I starting off with a razor that is too advanced for my skills. I am used to the Mach 3, but I would like to learn to use the DE for the aesthetics of it and for that fact that most agree that next to a straight razor the DE gives the closest most comfortable shave.

Would I be better served with a Progress, HD or a Futur?

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

The Vision is a great razor, I don't see any reason to get a Progress or Futur being you already have the Vision. I would advise you set it at a less agressive setting to start while you learn(the straight bar close to the blade). Do a 3-pass shave(with-the-grain, against-the-grain, and across-the grain). Re-lather between passes and shave very lightly. It is OK if on the first 2 passes you leave a little stubble, don't try to get too close until the final pass. You may decide to leave the against-the-grain pass until the end. Even then don't try to get too close until you feel you are getting the feel for it.

Are you using Merkur blades? If not what are you using?
Last edited by nteeman on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wrath, I tend to agree with Neal. If you were seeking your first DE razor, I would not recommend the Vision, for a couple of reasons, including price. However, since you already have one, I think that you should be able to learn proper DE shaving utilizing it. At least one of our members here did ( Sam ). Getting a top shave with a traditional safety razor is all about technique. Not really knowing how to use it properly, was at the root of your prior problems with the Vision. DEs can not be used willy nilly like cartridge razors. They require more care and attention. Hopefully, Joe will chime in here, as he favors the Vision, and is especially prolific regarding proper technique when using one. I will only echo what was said above, crank that sucker DOWN to a LOW setting!, minumal blade exposure. The blade should meet the skin at about a 30 degree angle or even a little less. Hold the razor down toward the end, not up by the head. Shave straight down, one inch long strokes, and NO pressure on the razor, let it's own weight carry it along. Stretch the skin taut from behind the razor head, for each stroke. Don't hurry. Easy does it. Be patient, there IS a learning curve. Regards, Gordon
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I have been using gilette blades in the razor. I lost the ones that came with it long ago.

After reading some tips I have been using short slow strokes with the grain to get my face used to shaving with a different type of razor. I find that I have to have the razor open all the way to get a decent shave. If its closed then I don't get all the hairs.

Maybe I'm holding it incorrectly. I don't have much experience with DEs. I assume that the bar should be touching my face? Or is it supposed to be held another way. I'm afraid that I have grown accustomed to having the blades in a cartridge at a preset angle.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Wrath,

You have pointed out the error in your ways! No, he handle should no be against your face. Pick up the razor and look at it's design. You want the blade to be at such an angle it is slicing the whiskers. What you are doing is currently pulling on them, if that. Check out the angle in Johnnie's post:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2354

Keep asking questions and you will get the hang of it. Even though you have a Vision, I would still recommend getting a DE Classic, which after you climb the learning curve could sell and recoup most of your funds (of course at that point, you want to keep it and about half a dozen other razors!).

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wrath, Study those photos that Randy recommended, and carefully re-read my post above. These errors in technique are what are creating your problems. The razor handle should be almost parallel to the floor when making the stroke. Put the razor head directly flat against your face. The slowly rock/pivot it downward until you can feel the blade just begin to touch. That's the angle you want. Get rid of those US bought Gillette blades immediately! They are dreadful, and are adding to your woes. Order some Merkurs, and in the meantime, look around for a pack of Wilkinsons or Schicks. Failing that, even the store brand Personna made blades are way better then those Gillettes. If your razor is being held/used correctly, the low blade setting is all you need, and will be kinder on your skin, and easier to manage. Keep us posted. Regards, Gordon
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Ok, I can see that the handle needs to be more parallel to the floor and I need to get rid of the gillette blades.

Luckily there is a store near where I work that sells the Merkur blades.

I will give that a shot and post my results.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help.
Mindflux

Post by Mindflux »

wrath186 wrote:Ok, I can see that the handle needs to be more parallel to the floor and I need to get rid of the gillette blades.

Luckily there is a store near where I work that sells the Merkur blades.

I will give that a shot and post my results.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help.

Your best bet for a local pickup is Personna blades at walmart. A 10 pack is 1.86+tax (YMMV). Nice blades, a number of guys here use them without incident.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I know you already have a Vision, but I would seriously consider getting a Merkur HD or Progress. The Vision, is quite large, heavy and technically somewhat complicated - and at this point in time you want to be concentrating on developing your technique, and not being distracted by too many variables or arm fatigue! If your angle starts to drop you will scrape your facial hair rather than slicing through it (which is what it sounds like you are doing). With the Vision's added heft the result can be more irritation acheived more easily!

The smaller razors will make easier to see the angle of the blade and assist in the development and subsequent refining of your technique. You will be whipping them across your face in no time :lol: THEN, you should try the Vision.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I'm going to go and purchase the Merkur blades today. I'll probably shave tonight to try some of the tips I got here.

If I'm still having a problem then I'll probably buy an HD or a Progress to cut down on the adjustability and get more practice with my technique.