Big Difference

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
wrath186

Big Difference

Post by wrath186 »

I thought I would follow up on my shaving experience with the Merkur Vision.

I usually only shave once a week because of the irritation and ingrown hairs. Last night I had enough growth to accomodate a shave so I decided to try some of the tips I picked up here and see what difference, if any they would make in my shave.

Got my face prepared with some hot towels. Got a monster lather going with Geo Trumpers Violet Creme. Lathered everything up and away we went.

I took my time and did three passes: one with the grain, one on the side of the grain and the final one against.

It took a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I was being very careful and very focused on how I was holding the razor.

Afterwards I must say that the shave I got was dramatically improved. There are still patches that could be closer and I did have some spotting of blood, but nothing compared to the blood letting that sometimes accompanies using this razor. I sometimes thought that it might be cursed and require a blood sacrifice before use. :wink:

I still have some work to do on getting the correct angle, but I think I have figured out what I did wrong.

I'm also looking to purchase an HD to get a better handle on using a non adjustable razor and one that's a little lighter. The Vision is a great razor, but using it can be an endurance test.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Yeah, I'm plugging away at it. I am trying to work my way up to a straight razor eventually.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Wrath,
Greetings............. :lol:

If you don't mind a suggestion or two....

Don't do the 'against' the grain pass for a while.
Do two 'with' the grain and one 'cross' grain pass.
Don't try to get the elusive 'baby-butt-smooth' face right away.

It seems from your description, to me, that you are pressing on the razor a bit and trying to get rid of ALL stubble... this can lead to the irritation and ingrowns. Try to let up on the razor a bit and don't worry about 'felt' stubble for a few weeks while you work on technique.

Try to shave every two or three days... don't let it go for a week at a time as your skin needs to get used to the razor too. If you leave it for a week at a time your skin feels like it is being assaulted and will produce more sebum fluid, build a protective layer (especially around the hair shafts) and then you get the problems you described.

It sounds like you are on your way, just take baby-steps and all will be well.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
indubitable

Post by indubitable »

You know, I have a non-adjustable Feather. It's my only DE. I have not nicked with it (though the second time ever I used it I shaved against the grain on my neck, causing some rawness) and feel like the shaver is very forgiving indeed. Other people have complained that the Feather blades are too sharp. But I find that their blades in their razor work well. I noticed that classicshaving.com sell the Feathers, in case you're interested. Reasonably cheap, too.

Jon
indubitable

Post by indubitable »

Didn't notice Gramps' post. I bow to his authority on these matters. Better to listen to him first than to buy a new razor and blades
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I am trying to shave every three days. In the past though this has been problematic to say the least. My skin today feels pretty good though. No burning or stinging so I'll try to keep that schedule.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wrath, There you go. See, we really do know what we're talking about ( imagine that! ). Before you know it, you'll be shaving daily, and enjoying it, like most of the rest of us. I mean, afterall, it would be a real pity to have such top shelf gear, like Merkur razors and Trumpers shave cream, and just drag them out once a week! Perish the thought! I second all of Larry's suggestions: forego against the grain passes for now, shave as often as you can possibly handle, and patient mindful application ('baby steps'). You're on your way. Congratulations. Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Glad to see things are looking up for you. Pay heed to Larry and Gordon, these guys know of what they speak.

Again, I think the HD will be a good choice for you, and you will see rapid gains in your technique. You'll then begin to eye another cream, then another ..oh just one more. But I should get some balm, you know to match the cream, but which cream? Oh bother! Why not all. Hmmm, now I've been reading about some nice colognes.....

....and so it goes.....doomed you are.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

The Vision can definitely work without the blood. It's not carnivorous, just defending itself.

You need to think in terms of applying no pressure. The razor is heavy enough to handle the cutting all on it's own. Rest it against the face, holding it low on the handle and just guide it. You won't get as tired either. If you keep the handle high off th face, you'll maintain the right angle.

Another way to avoid the blood is not to shave as aggressively. Don't try to get down to skin on the first two passes (intentionally hold the razor back), but just reduce the beard. You can't cut what you don't touch. The idea is to get to a light stubble after two passes. On the third pass, go for it. But with a light stubble you won't need to be aggressive then either. Just gently float over the skin, taking down the stubble.

If you treat the Vision gently the claws don't come out. Just remember that.
Joe
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Yeah, no pressure has become my mantra when using the Vision. This last shave was definately an improvement, so hopefully as I progress, I'll be able to get my face to adjust to the difference in razors and eliminate most nicks and cuts all together.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

wrath186 wrote:Yeah, no pressure has become my mantra when using the Vision. This last shave was definately an improvement, so hopefully as I progress, I'll be able to get my face to adjust to the difference in razors and eliminate most nicks and cuts all together.
Wrath, if you follow Joe's advice i.e no pressure, and maintenance of a low blade angle you will eventually eliminate all nicks and cuts (ok there may be the odd rare one!). The low blade angle was the major turn-around for me.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Me too, but the idea of a shave w/o any blood loss is almost unimaginable.

One of the reasons I don't shave everyday is that I just can't deal with the anemia associated with losing that much blood. Everytime I shaved I felt I needed to have some OJ and a cookie.

The Mach 3, up to this point, has given me the most comfortable shave I had ever had, but even that came with irritation and some cuts.

I'm impressed with the DE because with a little practice I have been able to get a shave just as close and almost as comfortable. I figure that with some more practice I can get an even more comfortable shave, hopefully bloodless.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

wrath186 wrote:I'm impressed with the DE because with a little practice I have been able to get a shave just as close and almost as comfortable. I figure that with some more practice I can get an even more comfortable shave, hopefully bloodless.
I think when you're cooking with the DE you'll have a new standard for closeness.

What I suggest you do immediately is just slow down a little and pay extra attention to angle and pressure. Don't do stop and go motions with the razor. Even short strokes should be smooth. And don't be aggressive in the early passes.
Joe
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Themba has posted a bunch about razor bumps, etc. He switched to the injector and also the Gem. Both of these have a more rigid blade, and he thought that that made a positive difference for him.