kids names

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

RJ wrote:I think the rules should include checking the initials for embarassing new words. For instance, Francias Anthony Gillespie might find himself the butt of a few jokes.
I've read that Sir Arthur Sullivan - of Gilbert and Sullivan - eschewed his middle name (Seymour) for that very reason.
-Ed
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

What about Gilbert? His middle name was Schwenck!

Edit: I think I spelled it wrong the first time.
Last edited by notthesharpest on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

and WHY has no one mentioned the race car driver dick trickle ?

:wink:
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I knew a guy from New Jersey named Frank Footer. (swear to God!) He may be in the Lyndhurst phone book as far as I know.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

D.Irving79 wrote:and WHY has no one mentioned the race car driver dick trickle ?

Not sure who wins, him or Dick Pound of the Olympic committee.
Richard
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

rustyblade wrote:
D.Irving79 wrote:and WHY has no one mentioned the race car driver dick trickle ?

Not sure who wins, him or Dick Pound of the Olympic committee.

wow. just wow.

hahahahahaha.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

There's a gynecologist here in the DC area named Harry C. Beaver. :shock:
Rob
i_shaved_something

Re: kids names

Post by i_shaved_something »

Ambrosia wrote:i sometimes give my goldfish stupid names...
What have you named your goldfish? :)
Rob
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All three of our children have quite traditional names using standard biblical spelling. It sometimes causes a bit of angst for our daughter as her name is spelled r-e-b-e-k-a-h. She usually gets cca instead of kah. She has no issues with our shortened versions of her name:
Bekah - friends of ours had a Rebekah and called her Bekah, and we liked that.
Becks - after a certain once-great footballer who lined up in the #7 shirt for our beloved United - given her by a friend of ours from Bournemouth England. He was a fan - and it's stuck over the years.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

There is an orthodontist office I used to drive by in Albuquerque... he is still there I believe... Dr. Ken Hurt.

I used to laugh every time I'd drive by.

Then there are normal names, I knew a guy, "Donald Robert Lastname the 2nd."

He was from the South. His family all called him Don Bob Two. :shock:
John
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

MrSmooth wrote:There is an orthodontist office I used to drive by in Albuquerque... he is still there I believe... Dr. Ken Hurt.

I used to laugh every time I'd drive by.

Then there are normal names, I knew a guy, "Donald Robert Lastname the 2nd."

He was from the South. His family all called him Don Bob Two. :shock:
hahahahaha

this sort of reminded me of a childhood friend named ritchie horn. we used to call him dick trumpet and he used to get REALLY mad.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

jww wrote:All three of our children have quite traditional names using standard biblical spelling. It sometimes causes a bit of angst for our daughter as her name is spelled r-e-b-e-k-a-h. She usually gets cca instead of kah. She has no issues with our shortened versions of her name:
Becks - after a certain once-great footballer who lined up in the #7 shirt for our beloved United - given her by a friend of ours from Bournemouth England. He was a fan - and it's stuck over the years.
A couple down the street from us just had a baby boy and named him Beckham. I can't remember if that's the first or middle name, but it's definitely one of the two.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

TorzJohnson wrote:
jww wrote:I actually have 4 given names -- it's a long story, but suffice it to say that my maternal grandmother had royal aspirations. :wink:

I hated my name as a child and more-so as a teen. Now that I have become older, wiser, and curmudgeonly, it's less of an issue. The bigger problem for me personally is the spelling of my name, which is frequently incorrect. It drives me nuts when people see my name in a signature in an email and still insist on mis-spelling Wendell. How hard is it to copy and paste, really??

And then, there's the neighbor who has lived beside us for 10 years now - he somehow got my name as Weldon -- and still cracks the horrible Well Done, Weldon puns every now and then. And this despite my wife shouting my name outside extra loud when he is in his yard.... Oh well, such is life. 8)
You know, Weldon, those people who spell your name wrong probably thought you spelled your own name wrong and were "correcting" it for you. :lol:
Very funny ...... really, it is! =D>
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:
jww wrote:All three of our children have quite traditional names using standard biblical spelling. It sometimes causes a bit of angst for our daughter as her name is spelled r-e-b-e-k-a-h. She usually gets cca instead of kah. She has no issues with our shortened versions of her name:
A couple down the street from us just had a baby boy and named him Beckham. I can't remember if that's the first or middle name, but it's definitely one of the two.
Interesting - I certainly wouldn't have come up with Becks (or Beckham) as a name, but it's good as a nick-name/term of endearment.
Wendell

Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I have a Japanese first name, an Italian middle name and a German last name. :o
drumana

Post by drumana »

One of my music books is authored by Dick Hymen :shock:

Also, my high school music teacher's name was Staff Horne

... AND, this is hard to believe but tis' true, my gym teacher's name in high school was Jim Sok. :lol:
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Lyrt wrote:I have a Japanese first name, an Italian middle name and a German last name. :o
I'm happy to hear that, as long as your parents are one Swiss and one Japanese, or something like that, and not both Turkish. :lol:
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

GA Russell wrote:I have felt for years that it is a form of child abuse for parents to give their children names which are made up words. It requires the child to spell his name for everyone for his entire life.
:lol:
Wendell

Jukkie

Post by Jukkie »

My geography and english teachers in highschool used to make fun of this rich and spoiled girl named "Hope". Her parents obviously wanted to live in a Disney movie by naming her that, and all the teachers thought she, and her parents were completely pathetic.

My english teacher especially made fun of the name, asking constantly "What were your parents thinking? Hope for what? Are you going to bring us world peace? Don't worry class, you'll all do fine on next week's test, because we have Hope. And if you don't, we'll have to lose Hope, sorry Hope."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

(slightly off topic)
We have a town with that name.

"When you know you're beyond Hope, turn right."