Light brigade blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Doublefelix

Light brigade blades?

Post by Doublefelix »

Is this the Light brigade blade?

Randal
brz90

Re: Light brigade blades?

Post by brz90 »

Doublefelix wrote:Is this the Light brigade blade?
Yes, that's what they look like, although they were available in a few other packs.

I've just been using one of these blades. I get three or four shaves from a Derby or Crystal and four or five shaves from a Swedish Gillette. I got 9 fantastic shaves from this very old stock Wilkinson Sword and I only changed the blade because the last shave I had to work just a little bit harder at the finish. It was still remarkably smooth and sharp.

I don't think anything that's being made at the moment can touch them. If there is I wish I could find it.
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

good. now i can see what a good blade is like.

Been shaving for years with wal mart american personnas
Randal
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Randal, welcome aboard, yes, that's the Wilkinson to get if you can find them. And if you can't check my reviews, any brand I've rated 7 or higher is equal to or better than the LBs.
Regards,
Squire
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

ok, where do I find your reviews?
Randal
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Randal
Right atop razors and blades forum (A sticky)
Last edited by hookem11 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Randal, Yes, now you'll have an opportunity to experiance the quality of DE blades that we could buy at any US drugstore for three decades....it's a real shame. Nothing I've tried, and I've tried quite a few, that is made today is their equal. The Swedish Gillettes are the closest. The Feathers and blades that are similiar to them, are a different sort of critter, and don't do it for me. Apparently, they used a different pattern of grind and hone in the old Wilkinsons, that you do not see in the currently made blades. And even the packaging and blade wrapping was better done. Enjoy......and mourne.
Regards,
Gordon
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

HAHAHA. I can't believe I even asked that. I have actually read the sticky before.

Must have been too early on a saturday or my mind is actually melting.
Randal
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Simply the best!!! Enjoy.
Rich
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Randal,
It has been my experience that wet shaving saps one's mental strength
(hello Sampson) and also the will power. It certainly has mine (AD's). See my post regarding the dopp bag project which was way too late and totally
ludicrous. I had also read that entire topic previously but still posted a preference which had already been eliminated. It has remained on the board as the last post since July, much to my embarrasment :oops:
Regards,
Al
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

I need to find some more of these! Smooth.

Slim on a 6, as close as my straight.

the only ones i have found online are the ones in the pillar pace. Are these the same?
Randal
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Doublefelix wrote:I need to find some more of these! Smooth.

Slim on a 6, as close as my straight.

the only ones i have found online are the ones in the pillar pace. Are these the same?
No, they're not the same as the pillar pack blades, which if they were made in the UK are still more than 10 years old only but if made in Germany are more recent than that, from 1998 to 2000 on.
Wilkinson Sword blades dropped slowly in quality through the eighties and nineties to where they are really just a good to average blade nowadays.
I would prefer it if you took Squire's advice that all the modern blades he reviewed as 7 and over are at least as good as LB Wilkinsons and left the hunt for vintage Wilkinsons to delusional people like me. :)
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

Yeah, I must be a person that can shave with anything. Just these are less work to do so.

i have to look again, i don't think there were many over 7.

but as for looking, it is now going to be something i keep my eye open for.

I hope you find some, but i hope I find some more!
Randal
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Doublefelix wrote:Yeah, I must be a person that can shave with anything. Just these are less work to do so...

I hope you find some, but i hope I find some more!
I like to think I can get a shave out of most blades, because I think a lot of it is down to how you use the razor, and also I like to try different blades from time to time - but it's good to have a stash of the best. Good luck with the hunting - if you find a huge stash of them somewhere let me know!
Doublefelix

Post by Doublefelix »

ok, will do
Randal
Buck Mulligan

Post by Buck Mulligan »

Randal,

As has been stated, yes, that is a pack are the famed Wilkinson Light Brigade blades that will make every other blade you use from now on seem at least slightly inferior (at least that's my experience). I am relatively new to to DE shaving but I have not found a blade as pleasant to use as the Light Brigade Wilk's, including Derby's, UK/Swede Gillettes, and the NOS UK Wilk's that are not LB's - all excellent blades, but just quite as good to me as the LB's.

All the best,

Buck
"A gentleman can live through anything."
William Faulkner