Mead

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Mead

Post by TRBeck »

Gents, I took up meadmaking a few years ago as a branch of my homebrewing hobby. It's perfectly in keeping with my love of old ways, and besides it's nearly impossible (or was: this is changing) to get good mead at the store. Few commercial meaderies exist of any scale, and the market is evolving, but most consumers wouldn't know what to make of it if they tried one. Chaucer's is the widely available option, and it is frankly awful: virtually no discernible honey character other than syrupy, tongue-coating oversweetness. The real deal may be sweet or dry, but it is never cloying and is a brilliant accompaniment to food (or not).

Anyway, I have an annual autumn tradition now - and the time approaches for this year's edition - of brewing a particular type of mead called cyser. It is in essence a hybrid of hard cider and mead. My recipe calls for 5 gallons of apple cider (good stuff - and for hard cider/cyser good stuff means tart, borderline bitter, and crisp - is hard to come by in Texas, but I can get Gravenstein cider at Whole Foods and there are a few other options) to which 14 lbs. of honey is added. I've been known to add a pound of raisins, dates, or both to provide nutrients for the yeast. The fermentation of a mead doesn't take too long, a month perhaps for this cyser, but the aging process does. I am only now going to put last year's batch into bottles, where it will age another year before it really begins to approach maximum drinkability. Last night I sampled the 2005 edition: dry and crisp at the outset, tasting mostly of a tart Gravenstein apple, the mead turns full-bodied soon thereafter, the honey character (I used local wildflower honey; tupelo or sage honeys work very well with apple) comes through in a sort of throaty richness. It is like tasting honey without the sweetness. The finish leaves the impression of sweetness and spice, the result of the alcohol, apple, and honey melding into a pie-like flavor. (This can be enhanced by spicing the mead with cinnamon, cloves, allspice, etc.). It is without question the finest fermented beverage I've ever made and

This is only one approach to a particular variety of mead, but in reality, mead is a beverage of endless possibility, as it can be made purely with fermented honey, but is also open to the additions of fruit (melomel), cider (cyser), spice (metheglin), herbs, flowers (notably, roses - a true rhodomel is a project in line for next summer), and malt (braggot). It can be made quite dry or very sweet, like any wine, and like wine, it can showcase varietal differences through the use of honey from a particular flower - orange blossom honey makes a terrific straight mead.

At any rate, a few months ago, the topic of mead came up tangentially in another topic, and I know Zach was planning to make some. I also know there are other homebrewers in our midst. Beyond that, I know many gents here enjoy feeling connected to the past, and mead is certainly an ancient beverage (there's a good case to be made that it's the oldest fermented beverage).

So, basically, I'm starting this thread to:

A. hear about others' mead experiences
B. toot my own horn about my mead-making prowess :roll: :wink:
and
C. share my passion for mead

Zach, I expect to hear a bit from you, at least.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

The only place I have Mead is at Renaissance Festivals. I like it because the serving wenches address me as "my lord"
Zach

Post by Zach »

A couple of months back I posted a thread entitled 'This hobby of ours' and I asked for more ideas about how to infuse 'retro' into my modern life, and Tim offered among other things that he makes mead. I loved that idea; his suggestion to me was to start out by making a 'cyser' which is kind of a mix between hard cider and mead, as Tim describes. If you don't know, mead is a wine that's made from honey. Get to a Renaissance festival!

Tim pointed out the site gotmead.com and off I went. I am not unhappy with the results (still a work in progress) of my first and so far only attempt. I did however plan on making some that was really good and sending Tim a bottle, but that time has yet to come; I suppose I was going to post about my mead thing at that time as well. Now that I see Tim's recipe, I will attempt this again for the fall, when you can go apple picking and get some fresh cider pressed that day, instead of the store bought stuff I used.

So, my initial experience went well, but I must warn you that you can make an unGodly mess and you better have an understanding wife, or a basement she doesn't care about. I got a recipe for a 'simple cyser' from the web site, which was 2 kinds of honey, 20lbs total, and 5 gallons of cider. I went to Brooklyn to a middle eastern store that I knew sold bulk honey, and I got 10 lbs of clover and 10 of wildflower honey. For cider, I got 5 gallons (they think you're crazy when you buy 10 1/2 gallon containers) from a fresh fruit store; again it was not the season for cider as it is NOW.
So I also got a 100 pack of campden tablets and some ale yeast online from a wine supply store, and at an Italian Pork Store on Long Island I got one of those large wine making wicker jug things to hold all this. For the fermenter, I bought a 6.5 gallon "ale pail" that I got from a Home Brew site online for $12. They made one with a spigot which I passed on. It would have been a lot smarter and a lot less messy to have one with a spigot I think. Next time. Anyhow. I mixed it all together in the pail, slowly and in parts; I did not add the yeast and I loosely covered it. I was not able to use all the cider as I wanted to leave an inch of air space. I waited about a day, then I added the yeast, mixed in some warm water; I put the lid on the pail and put it away in the basement for at least 6 weeks; I do not think it is 'still' yet. . When I opened it, I was kind of nervous about tasting it, having never done this before. I ladeled off a bit and it was ridiculously sweet to me; I thought that perhaps if cold, it might be better. I made a giant mess transferring it into the giant wine jug by dumping it with a funnel, and there it is today. I plan to bottle it and give some out for Christmas if it's at all drinkable.
It seems like a lot, but once you've tried it, I would assume the 2nd one is a lot easier, and it's a lot easier than making wine.

So that's my story!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Zach, thanks for the brew log. 20 lbs. of honey in a 5 gallon batch is a lot and will almost certainly yield a sweet, dessert-like cyser (which can be quite good: depending on the cider used, it will not be cloying). The reasons are two-fold: first, the sheer volume of sugar is a smack in the face to the yeast, and fermentation may take a while to get going and even longer to finish as the yeast will be a bit sluggish. Second, there is a limit to the alcohol tolerance of your yeast (for ale yeast, usually ~12%). So even if there's more fermentable sugar there, when the yeast reaches its alcohol tolerance, it goes dormant. The recipe sounds fine, but as I said, it will yield a pretty sweet and high-alcohol mead (which, with age, will be delicious).
As for equipment, I think the bucket with a spigot can make things easier. Whether you get one or not, though, buy some siphon hose and a racking cane to move your cider from one vessel to another. It's cheap and helps you avoid oxidizing the finished mead (and making a mess) when it's time to transfer all that liquid. Also, you might buy a hydrometer. A good one is about $10 and you can measure the amount of sugar in your mead (if you take a reading before and after fermentation, you can determine alcohol content as well).
All of the above will help, but ultimately, as you're finding, the process is really pretty simple: honey, yeast, water (maybe other sugars), WAIT. It will seem the fermentation and aging process are never-ending, but that's all the more reason to make another batch right now, so that you have a second one maturing while you drink the first. :D
The second batch is definitely easier. I would recommend buying mead or wine yeast, though: the flavor profile and fermentation requirements and characteristics are quite different to beer. Wyeast's dry mead yeast (NOT the sweet mead yeast, which quits working way too soon) is my favorite.

By the way, since subject of Renaissance Festivals came up, this can be a good place to get mead (the one near here only serves Chaucer's, but there are festivals where homebrewed or locally brewed mead is available. The Society for Creative Anachronism (I say this as a friend to many members: you think we're geeks? Sheesh!) has done a great job over the years of preserving meadmaking heritage, and you'll find, if you attend one of their gatherings, that the mead they're making is world-class. Many members brew to ancient receipts, including items such as yarrow root, wormwood, etc... The parking lot outside a Renaissance Festival will often include a makeshift tailgate of sorts involving the tasting of a wide range of meads, metheglyns, melomels, etc.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

mmm, i havent had mead in like 10 years. the only alcoholic beverage i was actually take the time to enjoy.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Tim, what I don't know about mead is a lot, apparently! I never thought about using a siphon; makes a lot of sense.
I did not scour the mead site, as you suggested, like any forum all the gems are buried in the day to day posts. I searched for 'simple cyser' and came upon one. All the ingredients were what I offered.

Let me ask you; the bucket I got had a hole in it with a custom fit grommet, and I got an 'Italian style' bubbler, or air lock.

How long do you wait for no activity, or, how soon after the last activity would you call it settled?

And might I ask you to post a favorite recipe?

best,

Zach
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

For mead, I generally wait until I see no airlock activity for a week, then rack (if I don't have a hydrometer handy to check for sure) to a different vessel. Often siphoning will stir up the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter and they'll act up again and consume more of the sugars in your must.

My recipe is more or less straight from The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm (the only book you'll ever need to make mead), but my process is different to his:

14 lbs. honey (anything in the 12-15 pound range will work)
1 lb. piloncillo sugar (any full-bodied, dark brown sugar will work)
1/2 lb. raisins, chopped
1/2 lb. dried dates, chopped
5 gallons of cider (I use a blend of Gravenstein and some stuff from a local market - anything tart will work; the "dirtier" the better; however, if it's not pasteurized, you will need the Campden tablets as discussed upthread; I buy pasteurized, but you want to avoid potassium sulfate, a yeast inhibitor frequently used in pasteurization/preservation)
optional spices - clove, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla bean, etc.

I put 3 gallons of cider in the fridge a few hours before brewtime. To begin brewing, I bring the remaining 2 gallons of cider up to 120 degrees in a large (4-5 gallon). This is warm enough to dissolve the brown sugar and honey but not so warm that it will set the pectin. Then I turn off the water (if you use electric burners, move your pot off of the burner) and stir in the brown sugar and honey until dissolved. I add my raisins and dates at this point: the warm must causes them to bloom a bit and also, hopefully, helps kill off any wild yeast or bacteria on the surface of the fruit. Then, I add the warm liquid to my (sanitized - sanitizing and cleaning throughout the process is essential to avoid any infection of the batch - it won't kill you; but it'll ruin the mead) fermenter, followed by the refrigerated liquid. I check the temp., and if it's below 85 degrees, which it should be, I pitch the yeast, put the airlock on, and wait for the magic to happen.
I also use yeast nutrients added at specific intervals, but that's because I'm mildly OC; it's not absolutely necessary. Generally, fermentation is over in a few days with the addition of the nutrients, but the aging process still takes a long time.

Some other brilliant recipes from the Ken Schramm book are Ginger-Peach melomel and "Mambo in Your Mouth," a melomel made with dark cherries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I have two batches of this aging with slight variation in the ratios of various fruits; both are spectacular and will only get better.

My projects for the next year (beginning, I hope, in the next couple of months, but with the newborn, who knows?) are:
- a very hoppy braggot - half beer, half mead
- a dessert cyser made with cranberries
- a rhodomel as mentioned upthread
- a Riesling pyment - half wine, half mead

That should keep the fermenters busy between batches of ale.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Zach wrote:...and at an Italian Pork Store on Long Island I got one of those large wine making wicker jug things to hold all this.
The large wine making wicker jug thing is called a "damigiana", as I'm sure most of my italian bretheren here on the forum already know. I'm afraid that's the extent of my contribution to this thread, as I've never even sampled mead before, but now will have to give it a try.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Zach

Post by Zach »

Wow, I waited like 24 hours only.

Book ordered! $13.57 at Amazon

I really am going to send you a bottle of something that I'm not ashamed of. I need to get another big glass jug and I can get started on this mess.
I mean that figuratively, of course, I will try to keep it neat this time!

To our brothers out there, I urge you to give this a go; if it's not swill, it will be incredibly rewarding! A life defining hobby, almost!

Tim, how can you tell if your mead is poison?
Have you ever known people to fall ill because of 'infected' mead?
Zach

Post by Zach »

Big Ren wrote: The large wine making wicker jug thing is called a "damigiana", as I'm sure most of my Italian brethren here on the forum already know.
Thanks, Ren, you are of course right; my wife, she is your paisan, she talks the talk for me when we go to the big pork store. I would imagine that most don't know what that is, the latticini?

You poor bastards out there who don't have access to the latticini...
I am sorry!
Sentite Condoglinze!

(fresh from the wife, not babelfish!)
(she hates Tim)
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Zach wrote:..my wife, she is your paisan, she talks the talk for me when we go to the big pork store. I would imagine that most don't know what that is, the latticini?

You poor bastards out there who don't have access to the latticini...
I am sorry!
Sentite Condoglinze!

(fresh from the wife, not babelfish!)
(she hates Tim)
Zach,

Latticini is an interesting word, in that its primary meaning is the equivalent of "dairy", as in the collective products derived from milk (latte). "Negozio di latticini" can be used to describe a store which sells such products - the English equivalent being creamery. I believe this expression is used more widely in the US than Canada.

I would translate "big pork store" as "macelleria", or "butcher shop" and not, as some might think, "porcheria", which has a different meaning altogether. If your experiments making mead don't turn out so well, your italian wife might react by saying: "che porcheria!", though she might also say "che macello!" which is related to the aforementioned "macelleria". Admittedly, "big pork store" has the nicest ring to it. :wink:

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Zach

Post by Zach »

Thanks for the detail Ren!
In NYC (5 boros) a latticini is traditionally a place you would go to for fresh home-made cheese, like scamorza or buffalo mozzarella. Brooklyn and the Bronx have the most; Little Italy in Manhattan almost doesn't exist any more, and Queens and the rest of the Island are no slouches either.
Technically a pork store is more like an Italian deli and butcher shop, but here in NY the big ones do both and sell everything. And since there are a lot of Italians here who make wine, they also sell grapes by the bushel (special order) and all sorts of presses and bins and bottles; they even have wooden half barrel screw presses!

I love ethnic stuff, myself not born here; you have to go to a real neighborhood to get it, but there is no shortage of them here; that's why we all came here!

Best,

Zach
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Zach, you'll know if it's contaminated: with mead, it's highly unlikely: since honey is hygroscopic, it doesn't harbor bacteria well. Nonetheless, a smell like rubber (not a slight scent: young mead can smell a bit rubbery), a thick slime on the surface of the must, and usually some ropy-looking floaters are a good tip-off. When in doubt, post pics here or to a brewing forum.

I'd love a bottle of whatever you make, even if it's bad: I've worked at homebrew stores and judged beers, wines, and meads for customers and (as a novice) at competitions, so I can - I hope - provide insight into what may cause any off-flavors in a not-so-great batch (I've made many).

I'll send you a bottle of 2005 cyser, too, if you like. PM me and we'll talk.

Best,
Regards,
Tim

Zach

Post by Zach »

Tim, absolutely!
I'll see what it's like when I open it; also I am going to make another one when I see the book, I will take my time with the next one. I will keep you updated.

Again, thanks for this, it really is something special, and I urge our brothers to try it out.
mikeasu

Post by mikeasu »

Made a cyser a few years back - actually, my 4th batch ever - and one of my best. I used store bought apple juice - took forever to start fermenting, but when it did, the whole house smelled of apple pie for a day. More recently, I bottled my last batch to get it out of the laundry room/meadery. Had to look at my notes - I had started this batch four years ago, and was excellent - a nice traditional mead. Entered it in an AZ homebrew contest - took silver in the traditional mead category! I lost some points since I called it a semi-sweet, judges considered it dry. I think I'll reenter it in '09.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Mike, what'd you put in it?
I just got the Mead book, and 90% decided on my next batch...
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Been making mead since 1995. I've always done dry, still meads, and aged them at least 18 months. Mesquite honey from New Mexico is one of my all-time favorites... has a great woody quality in the final product.

I've also experimented with addition of grape tannin (small amounts only), which boosts the aging period out another 12 months or so, but does wonderous things to mouthfeel.

I've even gone so far as to keep bees, although I'm not now -- harvested about 4 gallons of light clover that year (48 lbs of honey). Nothing like 80,000 bees living in your back yard!

Anyway, Mead is awesome. I need to make another batch, I haven't made any this year as I got distracted making Belgian beer styles and Plum wine.
John
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Mead hangovers are the worst, you don't get these with the store bought meads because they are to sweet to drink very much. When you get into the good home brewed meads like the stuff that is 5 years old and older then the hangovers start happening, its to good to put down. Mead tastes best drank out of a drinking horn. :lol:
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
greenman

Post by greenman »

MrSmooth: It's great to see another Coloradoan in here. You don't happen to live near Fort Collins do you? I've been toying with the idea of producing my own beer or red wine someday. The only time I tried mead was at the Colorado Renaissance Festival, and it was sickeningly sweet. I'd love to sample a proper mead. My wife and I make homemade cold-pour soaps, lotions, etc and custom candles. Maybe we could arrange a trade sometime?
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Bertrand Russell
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

greenman wrote:MrSmooth: It's great to see another Coloradoan in here. You don't happen to live near Fort Collins do you? I've been toying with the idea of producing my own beer or red wine someday. The only time I tried mead was at the Colorado Renaissance Festival, and it was sickeningly sweet. I'd love to sample a proper mead. My wife and I make homemade cold-pour soaps, lotions, etc and custom candles. Maybe we could arrange a trade sometime?
Unfortunately, I'm not in Ft. Collins -- I don't get up there more than once or twice a year -- used to go up and visit NBB and ODell, but it is hard to drive home after one of those... If I do head up that way, I'll try to remember to ping you, tho.

I'm SE of the metro area, about 90 minutes away.

You'll be able to taste much better, and a larger variety, of Meads at the International Mead Festival, which was held in Boulder every year.
( http://www.meadfest.org/ ) Unfortunately, they haven't had the full festival since 2006... Look for it again in February 2009, hopefully they are back.
John