Drier subs can work wonders

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Slickster514

Drier subs can work wonders

Post by Slickster514 »

I have noticed that I get a more confortable shave when my lather is a bit more on the dry side. By this I mean I stop adding water just before the mixture explodes in an abundance of suds. It's a fine line.

Lots of suds are great for WTG, but I do mostly ATG, and the more concentrated less watery mixture seems to work best in this case at least for me.

Anyone else have some experience with this?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Absolutely. I shave with this type of lather pretty much all the time. (Sometimes for a final touch-up, if that's necessary, thin & watery is better. At all other times, the lather you just "discovered" is perfect.)
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

I noticed the same thing. More soap and less water gives a comfortable, slippery lather.
Jan Pieter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

514, Many of the more experianced members here use a drier lather, whether they favour soaps or creams. I have for years. If your intention is to shave really close and still avoid irritation, it is the way to go. It is also the reason I don't use cold pour soaps; I can't get a heavy enough lather to do the job in this way.
Regards,
Gordon
Slickster514

Post by Slickster514 »

bernards66 wrote:514, Many of the more experianced members here use a drier lather, whether they favour soaps or creams. I have for years. If your intention is to shave really close and still avoid irritation, it is the way to go. It is also the reason I don't use cold pour soaps; I can't get a heavy enough lather to do the job in this way.
Regards,
Gordon
Well, that's great to hear :)
I say this because on other boards where creams and soaps have been reviewed, they tend to post pics of gushing lather overflowing the bowl, etc. It's nice to look at, and I can get the same pretty pictute with my T&H Trafalgar by adding enough water, but it simply won't perform the same.
I just wanted to make sure that on was on the correct path. Thanks.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I prefer a drier lather too. Dense and creamy like cake batter. mmmmmmm... :wink:
-Andrew-
Slickster514

Post by Slickster514 »

I got to thinking about this again, and I can't figure out why a drier lather works better than a wetter more slippery mixture????

Any insight?

Slickster514 wrote:
bernards66 wrote:514, Many of the more experianced members here use a drier lather, whether they favour soaps or creams. I have for years. If your intention is to shave really close and still avoid irritation, it is the way to go. It is also the reason I don't use cold pour soaps; I can't get a heavy enough lather to do the job in this way.
Regards,
Gordon
Well, that's great to hear :)
I say this because on other boards where creams and soaps have been reviewed, they tend to post pics of gushing lather overflowing the bowl, etc. It's nice to look at, and I can get the same pretty pictute with my T&H Trafalgar by adding enough water, but it simply won't perform the same.
I just wanted to make sure that on was on the correct path. Thanks.
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

Slickster514 wrote:I got to thinking about this again, and I can't figure out why a drier lather works better than a wetter more slippery mixture????
Any insight?
The slipperyness of the soap/water mixture comes from the soap, not from the water. So more soap = more slippery.

Of course, not enough water defeats the purpose. The soap becomes slippery because of the added water.
Jan Pieter
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Slickster514 wrote:I got to thinking about this again, and I can't figure out why a drier lather works better than a wetter more slippery mixture????

Any insight?
Balance between water and soap is what counts. If what you're saying was true, then plain water would be slickest of all, right? Obviously not the case.

Too much soap = thick sticky paste, no good

Too little soap = thin bubbly suds, no good

Balance = a great shave.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I concur with all the gentlemen in the above posts. A drier lather is the way to go for me.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

the thicker lather provides more cushion its the way to go

take the ride as smooth as possible

marc
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

Count me in as another one who likes the thicker/drier lather. :D
Blessings,
Michael
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Lather should be thick, not voluminous.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Another vote for thick, not fluffy lather. I've always used a low-lying, dense lather and I rinse my razor frequently.
Lynn
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

woodsrider wrote:Another vote for thick, not fluffy lather. I've always used a low-lying, dense lather and I rinse my razor frequently.
Great point as the thicker lather will build up in the razor. I don't mind the trade-off of more frequent rinsing.

To paraphrase Oscar: Enjoy your lather.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Thicker, rinse frequently
Regards,
Al
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

514, And there you have it. Is that enough feedback from some of the 'heavies' to put your mind at ease regarding thicker lather? ( chuckle ). Leave the mounds of light fluffy suds to the kids with their video cams.
Regards,
Gordon
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

bernards66 wrote:...Leave the mounds of light fluffy suds to the kids with their video cams.
Regards,
Gordon
Gee, Gordon, quit holding back and tell us how you really feel! :wink:
Blessings,
Michael
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:Lather should be thick, not voluminous.

Chris
+1

I recall when I first joined this board and someone -- can't recall who -- recommended striving to achieve lather the consistency of Cool Whip. I have sought after that kind of quality lather ever single time I shave since getting this advice and it has helped immensely to understand the difference between too much water and too much soap.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Slickster514

Post by Slickster514 »

Regards,
Gordon
Do you consider Aqua di Parma considered a cold pour?
Have you tried it, and if so how would you rate the performance (no the scent) with any T&H cream?