Snowed in

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

M6Classic wrote:
Janus wrote:Just kidding with you chaps. We don't use snow chains, however. We prefer special snow tyres with metal spikes on them and naturally we are prepared for snow and ice in the winter. You probably wouldn't be allowed to use tyres like that. In continental Europe at least they are banned but here they are obligatory.
It strikes me that Finland might also be a good spot for our original poster to begin his search for that six-foot-two blonde woman...

Buzz
This one:

Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Janus wrote:Just kidding with you chaps. We don't use snow chains, however. We prefer special snow tyres with metal spikes on them and naturally we are prepared for snow and ice in the winter. You probably wouldn't be allowed to use tyres like that. In continental Europe at least they are banned but here they are obligatory.
I remember when I lived in Finland 1979-81, and a bicycle was my single mode of transportation. The bike got studded tyres every November and didn't come off until the end of April. Loved the concept at the time -- essentially wood screws in the rubber -- they were essential when driving on cobble-stones in the downtown area of Hämeenlinna -- which was always a scary thing in just about any season....... :wink:

Of course, studded tyres were banned in Ontario a long time before while I was growing up. Had something to do with a "save the asphalt" campaign, I think. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

No "proper" snow down here in Sunny South West England since the 1980's!

Regards, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
AFG

Post by AFG »

We had a record setting snowfall last year the and the early prediction was to expect the same or more for this year. Three snowfalls already and more coming for the weekend so it might happen. Time to teach my wife how to run the snowblower!
Al
jayb

Post by jayb »

AFG wrote:We had a record setting snowfall last year the and the early prediction was to expect the same or more for this year. Three snowfalls already and more coming for the weekend so it might happen. Time to teach my wife how to run the snowblower!
Jeez, don't I know it! I was in Minnesota last year at this time! That's something this Cajun guy will never forget! :lol:

It came VERY close to "snowing" last night over here though. In fact, about 30 minutes to the northwest of us there was a light snowfall, but no accumulations. It just isn't cold enough. We did get some nasty sleet and slush this morning, but that's about as close as it gets to snowing here on the South Coast. :lol:
Justin
gruffydd63

Post by gruffydd63 »

One nice thing about living in a climate where is does snow is that when you do a cold water rinse after shaving, it is a cold water rinse. Had to spend some time in St Pete FL early in Dec. and sometimes it was hard to tell between hot water rinse and cold water rinse. Last winter I measured cold tap water at 43 deg. F.
Dick
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

english_barber wrote:No "proper" snow down here in Sunny South West England since the 1980's!

Regards, Robert
I remember snow in the bad winter of 1963 that was way over my head. Of course, I was only about two foot tall then...

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

Nah, people use them in Oregon and Washington because the passes are cleared of snow but not ice. When I lived in Oregon I had Spike Spyders -- Swedish -- the clipped onto my hubs and extended over the tire tread; five arms each with 4 carbide steel spikes. They worked much better than chains.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
Janus

Post by Janus »

Just checked the BBC news and it seemed appropriate to bump this thread. Hang in there, chaps! If it's getting too much for you, or - heaven forbid - it starts to interfere with the shipping times of all the lovely shaving items from the UK, let me know. I have my snow shovel ready. :wink:
Janus
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

About a month ago, it snowed here in the high desert. Normally when it does that, it's maybe an inch or less. This time it was 2 feet! That may not sound like much to someone in a colder climate, but here that is truly being snowed in.
Best,
David
Regards,
David