Question about merkur HD

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Slartibartfast

Question about merkur HD

Post by Slartibartfast »

I started wet shaving with a Merkur HD classic about 2 weeks ago. Everything is going ok. still working on my technique on the area of my neck under my chin.

I am finally able to get a good lather, especially after purchasing a badger brush.

When changing the blade last night i noticed there is a small bur on the head of the razor that causing the blade to bend in at where the bur is. could this be causing some of the nics i'm getting? Should i try to send this back or should i be fine just filing the bur off?

Thanks.

-- Ben

Attached a pic of said razor and blade.

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

the blade has to be straight in the head of the razor.. period

i would say that if the bur is not allowing the blade to lie flat it will cause problems for you

contact the vendor about this

marc
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

That doesn't look good. Either take care of the burr, or contact the vendor to send you one that isn't messed up.
John
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The picture is a bit blurry, but if the burr is as big as that picture suggests, then something definitely needs to be done; either fix it or get it exchanged.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Contact the vendor. Explain the situation and ask for a recommendation. Prefereably he will send you a new razor. Merkurs on occasion have problems, but the vendors are usually pretty good about replacing defective razors. It won't hurt to ask.

I find Merkurs to be the best razors in the world (as can seen by my Avatar). But they do have their eccentricities that one must be aware of and compensate for if one knows the problems and how to adjust.

Good Luck...

And enjoy your shave...

Regards...

Oscar...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Thanks. I emailed west coast shaving. Will wait to hear what they say before i pull out the dremel tool.
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

You might send Lee at Lees Razor a quick note with a pic...He is a great guy and responds amazingly fast!!

Best
The Shark
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I'm amazed at the low level of quality assurance at the Merkur plant. This is just another of the many examples of poor Merkur product that is regularly displayed on the shaving forums.
Rich
King-D

Post by King-D »

What misfortune! I can just picture you attempting your first DE shave with that whacked razor. Yikes!
David

Shave in the shower!
JohnInPeoria

Post by JohnInPeoria »

That burr makes your razor particularly well suited to your work on those wonderfully sloped fjords.
All the best,

John

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." Chesterton
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rich, Well, I agree, it's most unfortunate. IMO, there is no question but that the Merkur QC is not what it once was, even as little as 5-10 years ago.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

That is razor not acceptable - and I'm surprised you haven't cut yourself worse. Exchange it for a new razor - a reputable vendor should have no issue - especially if you show them the pic of the "small" burr!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ravi, it's great to see you again! I really enjoyed your posts during my first months here at SMF.

I hope you become a regular part of the neighborhood again. :)

- Murray
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

CMur12 wrote:Ravi, it's great to see you again! I really enjoyed your posts during my first months here at SMF.

I hope you become a regular part of the neighborhood again. :)

- Murray
It must be an impostor, I thought Ravi disappeared forever! :lol:
Richard
John 5

Post by John 5 »

My Lord, how bizarre! I too, like Murray, recall Ravi my first few months here. Good to know you are still alive.

And that is no 'small bur'. That is insane.
Haine

Post by Haine »

A bur like that can do some serious damage. x_x

All it'd take is an accidently cough, or sneeze. Maybe a girlfriend poping in on you and landing a hand on your shoulder while your touching up your throat.

Jeezuz. The possibilities. Lol.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Westcoastshaving sent me a new razor priorty mail with a shipping label to send the defective razor back.

I also purchased a '60 Gilette SS and i am going back and forth between them trying to figure out what i like the best.

Leaning towards the gilette, but the merkur is so nice and new and pretty ;)
-- Ben
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Slartibartfast wrote:Westcoastshaving sent me a new razor priorty mail with a shipping label to send the defective razor back.

I also purchased a '60 Gilette SS and i am going back and forth between them trying to figure out what i like the best.

Leaning towards the gilette, but the merkur is so nice and new and pretty ;)
Stick with the Merkur...

Biased, what do you mean biased...
:wink:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Haine wrote:A bur like that can do some serious damage. x_x

All it'd take is an accidently cough, or sneeze. Maybe a girlfriend poping in on you and landing a hand on your shoulder while your touching up your throat.

Jeezuz. The possibilities. Lol.
Yeah. the throat/chin area was where it definitely caused the most problems. i couldnt figure out why i was randomly tearing up my neck, while shaving the same way as previously.

Still getting over some nastiness on my neck from the old razor.
-- Ben
Haine

Post by Haine »

Yep, that would kill it for me. One wayward scrap across the throat and that razor would be collecting dust.

Atleast for a month or two.