Why do you or don't you like adjustables?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
desertbadger

Why do you or don't you like adjustables?

Post by desertbadger »

I was just curious about this :?: . I know that there're a different sort of animal, one that is largely a personal choice. Some people like'm, some don't. I knew of men in the past that was the only razor they owned and swore by it. Others tried it, didn't like it, and never got another. My own experience is that I happen to like them, if you can find a good one, and I simply work them into a regular rotation.
I do believe that I have found a REALLY GOOD ONE. Just shaved with my newest acquisition, (case of RAD :) ) a Merkur Progress. I wanted one that was simple, no silo or "butterfly", rugged, reliable, easy to adjust, and just flat worked the way that it's supposed to. IMHO even after just the one shave, (and a damn good one at that) it's pretty clear to me that the Progress fits the bill perfectly and will be in my rotation.
What are your thoughts?
Best,
David
Regards,
David
drumana

Post by drumana »

I just like the simplicity of a standard head razor and don't see the need to tinker with different settings.
-Andrew-
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I get along best with the vintage Gillette Adjustables. Have used one since I was a teenager. then and now it just grabbed me as looking so very very cool. A real shaving machine. My favorites are the longer handled versions though some love the shorter Fat Boy version. The head design suits me better than the Merkurs as well.
Oscar - our resident Merkurian - can probably wax poetic on the Merkur offerings and he is not only qualified but justified as they are excellent razors for most.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Haine

Post by Haine »

GollyMrScience wrote:I get along best with the vintage Gillette Adjustables. Have used one since I was a teenager. then and now it just grabbed me as looking so very very cool. A real shaving machine. My favorites are the longer handled versions though some love the shorter Fat Boy version. The head design suits me better than the Merkurs as well.
Oscar - our resident Merkurian - can probably wax poetic on the Merkur offerings and he is not only qualified but justified as they are excellent razors for most.
Personally I'm finding the length of the Merkur HD difficult to adjust to. I might try a longer handled variant, something more in length like todays modern razors.
Regards, Lionel
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I was too much of a tinkerer when I tried a Fatboy as a learning wetshaver. Now my go-to DE is the Progress. I like the weight of it (mine has a cooncatbob adjuster knob add-on, so it's really a Bobgress), and at this point I've used it so much it feels perfect. I keep it more or less set on 3 and a bit, but I sometimes have dialled down a bit when trying a new blade.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

drumana wrote:
I just like the simplicity of a standard head razor and don't see the need to tinker with different settings.
+1. I have a Fatboy and a Vision, but I use just "set-'em'-and-forget-'em" -- i.e., in practice they are fixed head razors for me.

In the past, I found, when shaving with adjustables, I was wasting time spinning the dial to all these different settings. Shaving is complicated enough already!
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I have a Fatboy and it is the least used of my three razors. I find I can get a good shave with a compatible blade set anywhere from 3-6, with 4 being the easiest with most blades. Yet, I never get a great shave with the Fatboy. I think it's more head design than anything else. Overall, I don't find the adjustment a big benefit and wouldn't pay extra for it, but if I find a good deal on a Slim or Super, I would consider it. I guess that's a neutral on adjustables?
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Well,

I shaved with an adjustable when I was a young man and had no problems with it. Now I have tried both a Gillette Slim and a Fat Boy and find that set on 3 it leaves me with nicks and razor burn. It was my technique I know and I could dial it down.

But I have given so many other Gillettes from early open combs to 50's Diplomats and Presidents that I find I can get the effects of an adjustable by changing razors and not the settings on just one razor.

I ask those who use the adjustable how often do you change the adjustment setting during a shave? I would say that most of you will not change it at all. In fact you will not change the setting even when you have a few days worth of beard. So I ask why do you need an adjustable? A regular old non-adjustable will do the same job as the adjustable.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I would pretty much have an adjustable on the lowest/gentlest setting, so for shaving, I prefer the fixed DEs. Also, the DE that I use, the Tech, has a lower profile head than adjustables, so it easier for me to shave under my nose and trim around my goatee.

That said, from a design standpoint, I think adjustable razors are very cool. Also, I learned on a slim Gillette adjustable in the mid-1960s, so there's a place for them in my heart, if not my hand.

Dave
dbf

Post by dbf »

To much 'screwing around' for me. For me, if it ain't broke fix it 'till it is, thus the opportunity for me to spend lots of time twiddling with an adjustable razor hoping to stumble on shaving nirvana. Nirvana is never found, my wallet takes a hit and it's back to my to my regular non adjustable everytime.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Bryce, I agree with most of your post, with a few sidebars and exceptions.

I like my long-handled adjustable because the weight, balance, and handle length work better for me than a standard Superspeed (so does the head geometry, but that varies among different eras of SS and adjustables). In general, adjustables (at least from Gillette) are a bit heavier than the standard SS or Tech, which may account for why some prefer them. Also, different blades seem to work better at different settings on the Super Adjustable I have; Derbys on 5 and Treets on 4, for instance. With a fixed-head, certain blades would require adjustment in technique rather than switching the dial. This is a preference issue, but I like being able to adjust the setting for different blades. Finally, I really like the Gillette Adjustables aesthetically.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like my Fatboy because of the heft, my Slim because of it's longer handle, and my black-handled adjustable because of the combination of long handle and lower profile head -- making it easier to shave under my nose.

Nevertheless, my fixed-blade razors see more face time now-a-days.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well i used a futur for ten years and that was at the time my only razor.
old age and a health issue (stroke) made me change to a lighter easier to handle razor

i had no issues with the futur, infact it remains the best shaver i ever had used. but the bottom line is once i found the setting that was right for me i had no reason to make furthur changes

im very happy with the fixed blades im using and i still get bbs shave on a day to day basis

also i love the three piece razor design for cleaning and blade loading

marc
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

TBoner wrote:Bryce, I agree with most of your post, with a few sidebars and exceptions.

I like my long-handled adjustable because the weight, balance, and handle length work better for me than a standard Superspeed (so does the head geometry, but that varies among different eras of SS and adjustables). In general, adjustables (at least from Gillette) are a bit heavier than the standard SS or Tech, which may account for why some prefer them. Also, different blades seem to work better at different settings on the Super Adjustable I have; Derbys on 5 and Treets on 4, for instance. With a fixed-head, certain blades would require adjustment in technique rather than switching the dial. This is a preference issue, but I like being able to adjust the setting for different blades. Finally, I really like the Gillette Adjustables aesthetically.

Regards,
Tim,

Well spoken. I did not factor in the things that you mentioned because I change razors each day and each one has its own peculiarities with heft, balance, handle length. The key to your reasoning is that it works better for you That is the key to any like or dislike with the shaving equipment. What ever works best for you is what you should be using.

In no way did I mean to discourage anyone from trying an adjustable. It's just that adjustable razors are not for me.

As for aesthetics, I love the looks of the vintage GEM lather catcher SE razors. Now there are some lookers.

Have a great shave with your adjustable.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I don't NEED a Gillette adjustable. I shave with everything from fixed heads to straights. I do it for fun. For me the adjustable is more for customizing a particular blade. Since I shave with Feathers pretty much exclusively I set it on 3 and forget it. There is no need for me to fool with the settings during a shave.
I like them as razors for the head and handle design and the look. As I said earlier to me they were the height of tech as a kid. Like a Lamborghini. To me they radiated cool shaving competence. Still do. But now with a vintage been there done that but still got all it takes plus.
Countach (Gillette Adjustable) versus Diablo (Futur) versus Gillette Tech (Volvo).
They shave well for me and they look (to me) cool on the counter.
All part of the fun.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like them because they work! They adjust to accomodate the particular blade and the variances in your beard, etc., on any given day. I use them in addition to all the other excellent every day shavers hanging on the rack. They all give great results. I think some day I'll eventually need to go in search of a Progress/Mergress, a Futur, and probably even a Vision too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dash maverick

Re: Why do you or don't you like adjustables?

Post by dash maverick »

desertbadger wrote:Just shaved with my newest acquisition, (case of RAD :) ) a Merkur Progress. I wanted one that was simple, no silo or "butterfly", rugged, reliable, easy to adjust, and just flat worked the way that it's supposed to. IMHO even after just the one shave, (and a damn good one at that) it's pretty clear to me that the Progress fits the bill perfectly and will be in my rotation.
Yah!! I can't wait for my Progress to arrive, ordered it over the weekend. As for adjustables, I've already got a few of them. I really like my fatboys, but wasn't too keen on the slim. I dunno, maybe the longer handle made for different weight distribution and balance. With my adjustables I just set it and forget it, although at times I'll dial it down if the previous days shave was a little rough. As of lately I've been using and getting great results with fixed heads; usually a superspeed or my latest addition, a merkur 15c.
Anthony

The Dashing Maverick
"mostly imitated, barely updated"
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Anthony;
I think that you'll really like the Progress. Keep one thing in mind. The numbers on the dial only go from 1 to 5. Don't let that fool you! Each little bit that you move the adjustment knob does make a difference. Start off with number 1 and if you feel that you need more, then go to 1 1/2 then 2 etc.
I don't have a chintzy beard and I was really empressed with the very first shave! :D
Best,
David
Regards,
David
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My DE of choice is my Merkur Progress, followed closely by my Merkur HD. Yes, I tinkered with it initially, but have since settled on a sequence that delivers a perfect, yes perfect shave for me each time! :wink:

BTW - if I want my Progress "Mergressed" how do I do it?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

BAH! Kids and their new-fangled "adjustables". Get the hell off my lawn. Hippies.
Richard