Futur -- return or ret(r)ain?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
kirkawall

Futur -- return or ret(r)ain?

Post by kirkawall »

Hi all,

First off wished to thanks all of the posters and super-posters who make this forum such a lively and useful visit. I've moved into DE shaving and have in recent weeks put together a small collection of razors including some of the classic Gillettes, a Merkur HD and a Futur. I find the Futur simple to use with the exception of the upper lip area and it gives me a very close shave even as a novice (by the bye, I don't find it very tricky to load unless you aim to do so with one hand. Using two, where one holds the razor and the other pops the cap off from above, it's a simple safe operation). Here's the thing: I don't plan to become a collector and I have the option of returning the Futur for a refund less about 15% shipping costs. This is not a financial necessity but it would mean spending some time with the HD and then moving onto either the Futur or Progress if desired. I do find the Gillettes and HD far easier to manage, but don't want to get rid of this Futur only to purchase another in the (sorry) future. Have found a bewildering array of opinions on the Futur on this forum and wanted to get a sense of whether or not it's a harsh razor pure and simple and not ideal for a light beard/small hands combination or whether it's worth hanging onto. I'm not after the perfect shave, just a clean, close low-irritation one I can look forward to rather than dread. I use an EJ super and various creams from the usual suspects. Grateful for all opinions and particularly those from newbies like myself who have loved/hated/feared their Futur.

thanks,

k
jim

Post by jim »

The Futur is a great razor! I have purchased several for my boys and a couple of their friends. They learned on these with no problems whatsoever. I have a Vision that I use daily and a Futur that I use occasionally (it's at our cottage). I always look forward to a shave with it. I have dexterity problems with my hands (MS) but have no problem changing blades or shaving with it. I think you're right when you say you might regret letting it go.

Best of luck.
yasuo200365

Post by yasuo200365 »

Hi there,

My recently posted views on the Futur have caused a bit of stir, but for what it's worth the Futur is nothing special, get rid of it and buy yourself enough European Gillette DE blades for 10 years.

Regards.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yes, but fortunately chris, i have not lost much money. i only sold one DE, but the straights, well, now with the feather, i got more consistent shaves. it mows through stubble and does not tug like the straight did, even when lynn honed it. however, the straight is not as much of a delight to shave with. it is a utensil compared to the artistry of a regular straight

sam
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Thanks for all your replies -- I would say that a superlative shave is not my immediate expectation, though I'd be happy to get there eventually. I bought the Futur initially because it seemed like a razor to grow with, being both well-made and adjustable. I have however found it harder to navigate than the older Gillette DEs I've used over upper lip and neck and find it much harsher on my neck also; at the same time, it provides a wonderfully close, irritation-free shave along the rest of my face. I guess for me the idea of shaving with several razors at once -- one for the upper lip and chin, another for the neck, and another for the cheeks -- seems too complex for what has become, since I've begun visiting this forum, a genuinely pleasurable experience. To return to an earlier discussion here, it's the difference between being a music-lover and an audiophile, though there's plenty of room for both. I understand the quest for the perfect shave just as I do the quest for the perfect sound, but I'm not sure I have the patience or the dedication to pursue it. And yet, there's something so addictive about the Futur razor -- as an object if not as an everyday razor.

thanks again -- still have a day or two to decide this and your replies have been very helpful.

[quote="drmoss_ca"]You'd be in a distinct minority there, Yasuo. I happen to like the Futur.
Kirk, if you just want a decent but not superlative shave, it doesn't much matter which DE you use. The one thing about selling a razor, as Sam can testify, is that after a while you might want it back, and have to buy another!

Chris[/quote]
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I would keep the Futur. After reading this forum for a while, I decided to give shaving with a DE a go for nostalgia's sake. I picked up a Vision, and could get a very close shave, albeit with a few nicks and some razor burn (where is that Styptic pencil?). Not appreciating the closeness/irritation tradeoff produced, I then switched to a Gillette adjustable DE. This gave a reasonably close shave with less irritation. Out of curiosity, I then tried the Vision again, and now use it daily. My point is that there is a learning curve for everyone, and you just may come back to Futur (no pun intended?) and appreciate its capabilities.

Steve
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Keep the Futur, especially if it is one with a satin finish (it glides smoother accross the skin). To get you upper lip, first shave N-S and push your nose up as far as possible with the head of the razor. You will still have a little stubble left under your nostril. On your second lather, come in sideways on your upper lip and under the nostrils (credit to Joe Lerch on this idea). Even with the Merkur HD you still can't get those hairs without this technique I find.
Richard
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Keep the Future. Take it from a guy who knows. I owned a future and I didn't think it was anything special. About 6 months ago I decided to reduce inventory so I sold off about 6 razors. The Future was one of them. I think I got $35 bucks for it. I should have kept it. I learned too late that if you load a Future with a feather blade it becomes a different razor. I'm told the razor becomes a much easier to manage razor. I liked the size and balance of my Future. I am thinking about buying another and using Feathers in it.

Anyone want to sell an almost new Future for $35 bucks let me know.

Tony Espo
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Englishman

Post by Englishman »

rustyblade wrote:To get you upper lip, first shave N-S and push your nose up as far as possible with the head of the razor. You will still have a little stubble left under your nostril. On your second lather, come in sideways on your upper lip and under the nostrils (credit to Joe Lerch on this idea). Even with the Merkur HD you still can't get those hairs without this technique I find.
I am going to play a hunch and guess that Tony doesn't have this problem... \:D/
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Englishman wrote:
rustyblade wrote:To get you upper lip, first shave N-S and push your nose up as far as possible with the head of the razor. You will still have a little stubble left under your nostril. On your second lather, come in sideways on your upper lip and under the nostrils (credit to Joe Lerch on this idea). Even with the Merkur HD you still can't get those hairs without this technique I find.
I am going to play a hunch and guess that Tony doesn't have this problem... \:D/
Excellent Englishman, YOU ARE CORRECT! The mustache has been there for about 40 years.

Tony Espo
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

kirkawall wrote:Thanks for all your replies -- I would say that a superlative shave is not my immediate expectation, though I'd be happy to get there eventually. I bought the Futur initially because it seemed like a razor to grow with, being both well-made and adjustable. I have however found it harder to navigate than the older Gillette DEs I've used over upper lip and neck and find it much harsher on my neck also; at the same time, it provides a wonderfully close, irritation-free shave along the rest of my face. I guess for me the idea of shaving with several razors at once -- one for the upper lip and chin, another for the neck, and another for the cheeks -- seems too complex for what has become, since I've begun visiting this forum, a genuinely pleasurable experience. To return to an earlier discussion here, it's the difference between being a music-lover and an audiophile, though there's plenty of room for both. I understand the quest for the perfect shave just as I do the quest for the perfect sound, but I'm not sure I have the patience or the dedication to pursue it. And yet, there's something so addictive about the Futur razor -- as an object if not as an everyday razor.
I got my Futur 40 years ago when the Gillette De was the razor you got at the drugstore. I don't have any more of those old Gillettes, but I still use the Futur regularly.

I sympatize with you about the Futur. I didn't have the benefit of advice like you get here, so it took me 2 years before I could get it past a 3. i was using Gillettes between 6 and 8. But I went with the Futur becaus eo fits superior shave.

It is harsh, but you can keep it at low settings. if it works well on your cheeks use it as you do. To ease the problem with your neck dial it down, stretch the neck skin flat and use a very light touch.

With a little experimentation and practice you'll get it right, and it will improve with time. The great thing about this razor is that you have lots of room for growth as your skill improves. This razor is all you will ever need. It has the potential to give you the best shaves available with any razor, bar none.
Joe
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Thanks all -- I'll stick with the Futur and come back to it in a few weeks once I've gotten the basic method down. Again, grateful for the input and to the regular posters who make this forum such an interesting and lively place to drop by. Now back to my Taylor's Lavender...

k