Derby Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Derby Creams

Post by jvan »

Due to a mix up on my last order for Derby blades and some Derby Lemon cream I was comped a tube each of their Lavender and Menthol creams. I have been a fan of their lemon for some time now and I am becoming a fan of their line of creams in general.

I don't know whether it is my softened, de-mineralized water, my lathering technique or the phase of the moon but I get excellent results from all three flavors.

The creams are relatively inexpensive and becoming one of my favorites, anyone else into Derby creams?
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

yeah I posted a mini review of the derby lavender
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33548

imo for the price amazon sell it its fantastic stuff.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
Mattinnc

I Like Them Too

Post by Mattinnc »

I like to make a super lather with the ARKO Stick and them !!

MattC
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have a tube of the Derby menthol - it gives that shiny lather that you see with high glycerine creams. Quite slick, but not much good at softening the beard - something at which the old style "traditional" (if I am allowed to use such an elitist term) creams excel.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

A company sent me a tube of the Derby lavender instead of 100 Derby blades once - when they straightened it out they told me to keep the cream. I tried it a couple of times but unfortunately I wasn't too crazy about it.
Jim

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Hi, John. Uh oh... another cream I guess I'll have to try. How does the Derby Lemon compare to other lemony creams, like Taylor Lemon & Lime, which is still a favorite of mine?

Have you tried Arko shave creams? I wonder if Derby is similar. I really enjoy Arko Citrus and Regular creams.

Dave
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have nothing against the term traditional, only against equating it with English. The old style English creams were, I imagine, quite traditional. :) I find that Musgo Real, La Toja, and many of the current soaps - Harris, AOS, Valobra, Tabac, Cella, Arko - have the beard-softening ability alluded to. And so does my Taylor cream.

I don't know if Derby and Arko are the same, but Chris's description of a shiny, glycerin-soap type lather indicates that they are similar. There are those who have used both who believe them to be the same cream.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm very traditional, across the board.
In 10 years, I'm sure my 6 year old daughter will vouch for that, too.
What I might buy, how I would use it, how I can refer to it, that would not make me an elitist.

How I treat others given their very same choices, that would.

Chris, use whatever terms you like, and no one is going to call you an elitist.
And not because you use boar, but because you would not judge others for the tools they would use, that work for them, and that make them happy.
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Suggest trying the new reformulated Arko Lavender available thru Melyus.

Currently using with a slant. Produces excellent shaves comparable to higher priced creams. Good skincare as well.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

David my olfactory skills are rather limited when it comes to describing scents. My favorite cologne is Taylor's Sandalwood and yet I am able to enjoy the Vulfix Sandalwood cream which isn't even close.

I would say that the Derby Lemon cream smells somewhat like a bottle of Real Lemon while the Taylor's (still one of my favorites) smells like the lemon/lime Kool Ade of my childhood. Not much help I know.

I prefer the lubricity of the Taylor's along with its softening ability. I do travel with the tube of Derby though.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I've used both Derby and Arko creams quite a bit. The Derby creams don't work for me, plain and simple. I've used them some to put on my face while I'm in the shower, but I wash them off and use a "real" cream to shave. They'll soften my whiskers, and I like the synthetic scents, but I can't get any kind of shave with them. Plain water would work better for me.

The Arko creams, on the other hand, perform quite well (for the money). They're a very nice drugstore-type cream. Not to say that there aren't quite a few very nice drugstore-type creams. There are, and Arko's one of them.

And even though the scents are synthetic, I like 'em. If I had to, I could survive quite well with Arko creams, although I'd probably end up sporting a goatee much of the time - that's the the part of my face that helps me distinguish between a top-level cream and all the rest. When the rubber meets the road, the Arko creams don't have very good protection. The soap is quite a bit better in that respect.

My 2¢.

Mike