Tugging on my Beard

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Fractal

Tugging on my Beard

Post by Fractal »

What does it mean when the razor tugs on your beard?

I use the below equipment/preparations:
- Merkur "Progress" Adjustable Safety Razor
- Merkur "Double-Edge" SS Platinum Blades
- Vulfix #2233 Super Badger Shaving Brush
- Geo F Trumper lathered on the face

I've been described as having a very rough beard. I've experienced the pull & tug from anywhere between one to three days growth.

Is the the blades? Technique? Beard?
Ben

Post by Ben »

A blade that tugs typically has lost its edge. The angle at which you hold the razor may be a contributing factor. Try to hold the razor so that the weight of its head does a lot of the work. You should almost feel the blade falling through the hairs.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
sebell

Post by sebell »

Prep does play a large part in the sensation of the
blade through the hairs. What are you doing before
face lathering? How long do you face lather for?

- Scott
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Tugging for me comes from poor preparation, a dull or dulling blade, or both. If a new blade pulls it's likely insufficient prep. Keep those whiskers warm and wet for at least 3 full minutes before shaving. Consider a pre-shave (olive oil or cheap hair conditioner is good for this). Shave after a shower (this works well for me).
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

During a hot shower I apply hair conditioner to my beard.

After the shower, I soak the brush in hot water for a few minutes.

Then I apply an almond sized dolop of cream in the brush and lather it on my face.

I lather it in for about 20 seconds, apply a little bit of hot water to the brush if the lather seems to dry, and repeat for another 20 seconds. I repeat this until the lather has reached a good consistency.

Then I shave.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Here are a few things to try that don't involve
switching blades:

- Avoid conditioner, just wash your face.
- Build the lather on your face slowly, starting
with a fairly dry brush and adding dribbles of
water as you go (saves the soaking). Do this
until you reach the right consistency, it may
take longer than you're used to.
- Either angle your DE slightly to `slice' through
the hairs better, or add a slight horizontal
motion as you move the blade downwards.
Known as the `Gillette Slide', this can greatly
improve the cutting of the blade.

If no combination of the above seems to help,
get a blade sampler pack. Merkurs are not
known to be pull-free for everyone.

- Scott
druphus

Post by druphus »

I would try a sharper blade. Merkurs pull on me and I don't have that tough or heavy a beard. Feather are the sharpest. I would buy a pack and try them.

Check out Squire's blade reviews:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705

Pick something rated higher than 6.5 to try out, if the feathers are too sharp for your taste.
Regards,
Andy
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

After your prep description, I think Andy is on the right track. I'm not a fan of feathers, but they are the sharpest blade available. A few almost-feather-sharp blades I like that are readily available: 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow), Astra Superior Platinum, LORD (classic or platinum). Order a sample pack or at least several packs of blades you think you might like. The current places with good sample packs I'm aware of are West Coast Shaving (USA) and Connaught (UK). Might be others, particularly if you order individual packs to make your own sampler.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

Good advice already given here. Let me add that you may want to look at the number/type of passes you are doing. If I don’t get enough beard reduction with my initial wtg pass, I can experience tugging on subsequent xtg and atg passes. Also, if the tugging is occurring in only a few places, you might inadvertently be shaving across or against the grain. Check the direction of your beard’s growth. Otherwise, I say try some sharper blades and see what happens.

-Kevin
Crazy_Nate

Post by Crazy_Nate »

I'm going to second what Scott recommended. I have a new found interest in the "slide", as it does wonders for me. With a derby, two passes (WTG and XTG) and a little tidying up, I'm thoroughly impressed with how close I get.

-Nate
Nate

Merkur Futur / 12C, Feather / 7 O'Clock Yellow / Derby
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Just got my razor sampler pack from West Coast Shaving. Will update ya'll on the results soon!