recipes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
teabag

recipes

Post by teabag »

Hi All,
I know from my time on this forum that there are some of us on here that are home brewers whether it be beer, wine, spirits or a combination.
I am hoping someone may have a couple of clone USA craft brew recipes. I have trawled through many websites and homebrewing forums but have not had luck in finding all the recipes I intend to try out.
The recipes I have been unable to track down are as follows:
Alaskan Winter Ale
Avery Samael
Avery The Beast
Avery Maharaja IPA
Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Brooklyner Wiesse
Anyone ever brewed a clone of any of these and are willing to let a poor UK homebrewer have the recipe? :cry: Poor in the sense I have been unable to find the recipes :wink:
Regards,

Phil.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat - Fortune favours the brave
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Alaskan Winter Ale:
4.5 lbs pale malt
2.5 lbs Munich malt
2 lbs wheat malt
1 lb crystal malt 40L
8 oz Caramunich malt
8 oz crystal malt 80L
8 oz fresh Sitka or other spring spruce tips
2 oz Czech Saaz hops 3% aa - 90 min
1/2 oz Czech Saaz hops 3% aa - 15 min
1/4 oz German Hallertauer hops - dry hopping
English or American ale yeast

Total boil is 90 minutes. 6 oz of spruce tips added with bittering hops, 2 oz spruce tips added with flavor hops. Adjust grain amounts based on your efficiency of course.

I can't vouch for this; for all I know it could be rocket fuel. But good luck.
Ron
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thank you very much Ron,

The recipe looks good. It won't be rocket fuel if going off the drink of it I had in a bottle a couple of years ago. I think it is only around 6%abv so not too bad.

Come on guys, follow RSP1202 and try and send me one or two more recipes. :wink: :)

Cheers, Hic! oops :lol:
Regards,

Phil.

MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

rsp1202 wrote:Alaskan Winter Ale:

8 oz fresh Sitka or other spring spruce tips
My brewshop has spruce extract available for making beer like this one. I've seen that recipe before... but I've not had it, only heard good things about it. For what its worth, I did pick up the spruce extract and will be brewing this recipe this fall.

I don't have info on those Avery brews, but I have a nearly-perfect clone of Avery's Ellie brown if you are interested... thanks in part to help in my recipe development from Adam Avery himself. You may try sending him an email begging for hints.

One thing that may be difficult to replicate, I Samael's is aged with American oak chips...

If you have brewing software, you may be able to may a stab with the parameter's from Avery's website:

Samael's Ale
Beer Style: Oak Aged English Strong Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus, Fuggels
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 150L
OG: 1.140   ABV: 14.5   IBUs: 41
Color: Copper

Samael’s Ale is a super-caramelly, oak aged English-style strong ale. Perhaps the least hoppy (sacrilege here at Avery!!) beer we’ve brewed, to accentuate the malt. The oak is very apparent in this rich and high gravity ale, adding additional depth and complexity with a woody and cask-like nose and a pronounced vanilla flavor on the palate. Notes for 2007 - With the addition of an additional roasted malt, Samael's now delivers subtle bitterness to add balance to the natural sweetness.

The Beast
Beer Style: Belgian Grand Cru
Hop Variety: Magnum, Galena, Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnang, Hersbrucker
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Belgian Special B, honey malt, aromatic, pale wheat, roasted wheat
OG: 1.148   ABV: 14.9%   IBUs: 68
Color: Burgundy

The Beast is a seducer - accomodating, complicated, powerful, dark and created to last the ages. With a deep burgundy color and aromas of honey, nutmeg, mandarin orange and pineapple, this massive and challenging brew has flavors akin to a beautiful Carribean rum. Dates, plums, raisins and molasses are dominant in a rich vinous texture. Cellarable for 10+ years.

Maharaja IPA
eer Style: Imperial India Pale Ale
Hop Variety: Columbus, Crystal, Centennial & Simcoe
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 120L, victory
OG: 1.090   ABV: 10.24% (2009)   IBUs: 102
Color: Dark Amber
Availability: Seasonally produced from March through August. 22oz. bombers, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.

The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley - fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence.

I sent my initial email to info@averybrewing.com and Adam himself replied, and invited me to bring some to the taproom up in Boulder to compare with him. Fun stuff.

If you're interested in my Avery Ellie Brown clone, i'll post it.
John
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks MrSmooth. I'll pm you if that's okay.

Many thenks.
Regards,

Phil.

F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

All this is making me wanna have a cup of coffee. Say Phil, Can you still get "Watney's" Red Barrel Ale over there? I think it is no longer produced. If so, I have many, many fond memories of teen years growing-up in the sunshine of California. Having cheap laughs amongst friends.....I mean cheap........ahh me.

Best,
Fitch

*edit* mis-spelled amongst. Corrected it...good night.
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Mon May 03, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teabag

Post by teabag »

F.W. Fitch wrote:All this is making me wanna have a cup of coffee. Say Phil, Can you still get "Watney's" Red Barrel Ale over there? I think it is no longer produced. If so, I have many, many fond memories of teen years growing-up in the sunshine of California. Having cheap laughs amongt's friends.....I mean cheap........ahh me.

Best,
Fitch

The answer to your question Fitch for 'Watneys' Red Barrell is 'NO, THANK GOD' :lol: :lol: I have the recipe in a book somewhere but I am proud to say that I have never lowered myself to brew it. There are far more tasty and superior ales crafted by micro brewers and keen amateurs to be quaffed rather than that pigswill. Talking of which, there is a beer here in the UK called 'Pigswill', and very nice tasting pigswill it is too!!!!! and NO , you can't get swine flu from it. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Regards,

Phil.

F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

So your calling me swine?!?!?! I bet you don't have one of the 'barrel' key chains now do you....see what I walk into. I remember that one & "John Bull" from your land. Boy, it's been twenty-five years since I had either. I wonder if it was so forgetful (why) is it that it is in a recipe book....hmm? I only have so much time for frivolity & if I want a beer....just go to the store. Yea....I know.....**hiss**....**boo**...**pig**

Best,
Fitch
teabag

Post by teabag »

I never said you were a swine. :wink:
That's another blast from the past, 'John Bull'. What happened was companies like Anheuser Busch sprang up, brewed beer on a monday and were selling the unfinished product to tasteless lager drinkers on the friday without any thought. Made quick profits at the expense of quality products and so had the resources to 'snap up' some of their rival competitors.
During this time breweries like Watneys were bought out by other breweres and as a result these 'acquired' breweries were subsequently closed and their beers consigned to history (a bit like the domsday book).
The recipe is in a book that was published in the 70's. Needless to say 95% of the recipes in there don't get made now because they are old fashioned to put it in a nice way.
As for the keychain, sorry no I don't, but I do have a Sam Adams keychain they graciously sent me when I enquired about the availibilty of their Triple Bock here in the UK.
Regards,

Phil.

MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

mm homebrew!

I am making sake right now. I have molded my rice (Kome-koji) with koji spore. Tonight or tomorrow I'll start the initial fermentation (the moto).

Takes like 6-8 weeks before I can get it into a drinkable state. My biggest hurdle to come is sitrring the slurry while at work.. hmm and keeping the temperature around 50F when its 90F outside :/ (no room in the fridge for a 6 gallon bucket).
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Of course you didn't Phil....just having a little fun with you. I know what your saying about A.B. & the giant multinationals having great fun with their aquiring & merging. As a person that favors 'free enterprise' ,very heartily, I'm all in favor of this, but it's better with things like cars & refineries not beer. Strange that I can still remember that the 'Red Barrel' came in dark brown bottles & "J. Bull" in a dark green one. I enjoyed both....I mean what did I know? (I was still shaving with menthol tinned foam & Bics too...LOL) Contrary to popular belief America has a lot of good beers. It is like what your driving after though...the small crafted 'micro-breweries' that is producing it. Since I am not going to turn my basement into a micro-brewery & it all seems to be over there in that state, when I am here in this one, I just go to the store man. Some that I can get from U.S. that are traditional & completely Independent are "Shiner" beer. It is 100 years old this year from Shiner, TX and brewed there from the start. I like the Shiner Blonde(This infor. for Americans or Squire in paticular...as he has a 'thing' for blondes) Another is "Goose Island" from Chicago. They brew a 'Nut Brown Ale' & 'India Pale Ale' both of which are just fine. For the boys over in Eastern Ohio, Pennsylvania, N.J. you can get "Yuengling" which has been brewed in Pottsville, PA at same brewery since 1829. I used to live in Philadelphia and liked to have those. There are a couple others I drink that are all American & Independent ,however, I won't continue to bore. Phil, I would love to quaff a beer with you & Ron , but bring some good stuff & the keychain....well...you can leave behind...laugh. Have a good week, let us know about the beer findings.

Best,
Fitch
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Free beer and rocket fuel for the Coneheads. I'll pay for the keychain.
Ron
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

See....exactly why I invited you Ron.

Best,
Fitch
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

and what the hell.....a transplanted 'Aussie' that brews sake in Virginia....he gets 'shotgun'. All we need is a friendly Canuck to 'round' things out....but until.... this will do.

Best,
Fitch
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Don't forget the designated driver. We'll need someone to talk us down from the ledge.
Ron
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I haven't......Ian is gonna have us all picked-up by helicoptor....though I've not actually discussed it with him yet. Don't worry we'll work out the 'details'........a one.....a two.....*BEER*....*BOAR*....*J'ADORE*....(ahem)...shutting-off computer for the night.

Je Dors,
Fitch
teabag

Post by teabag »

:lol: I like it Fitch.

As for the USA craft beers, well I have had a few. Indeed Goose Island's IPA is nice but not as nice as Alaska's beers.
My top 10 US brews I've had to date would be
1. Alaskan Winter Ale
2 Alaskan Smoked Porter
3 Sam Adams Boston Lager
4 Victory's Golden Monkey
5 Stone's Californian Double IPA
6 Firestone Walkers Californian Pale Ale
6 Anchor's Porter
7 Anchor's Steam Beer
8 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
9 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
10 Sam Adams Utopias (Got a 2003 bottle but not opened it yet)

Have a nice day all.
Regards,

Phil.

teabag

Post by teabag »

:oops: I forgot to mention Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout. That replaces Utopias. I apologize to Sam Calagione who brewed it at a massive 23%, but there just wasn't the powerful alcohol burn/surge for me to go with the ABV. Well crafted but the lack of alcohol potency taste wise caused me to be slightly disappointed for what I was about to receive, still nice to have sampled it. Next I must try their 120 Minute IPA and Palo Santo Marron if I can find one. :wink:
Regards,

Phil.

MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

teabag wrote:Thanks MrSmooth. I'll pm you if that's okay.

Many thenks.
Feel free! I'll go ahead and post the Avery Ellie Brown recipe tho.

The story:

So, I really like Avery “Ellie’s Brown Ale”. And the grist list on their webpage is intriguing, unlike the recipe for any Brown Ale I’ve ever seen. And so…

I decided that the information on their web page would require me to do a bit of recipe tweaking and multiple batches. Here is what the info on the web page is:

Ellie’s Brown Ale
Beer Style: American Brown Ale
Hop Variety: Bullion, Cascade, Fuggles
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, chocolate, Munich 10L, caramel 120L
OG: 1.056 Alcohol By Volume: 5.5% IBU’s: 17
Color: Deep Russet

So, figuring it couldn’t hurt, I clicked on the ‘contact’ page and sent a message pleading for assistance to their info@AveryBrewing.com address. An excerpt from my message:
I’m looking for some pointers, hints, anything, that could help me brew a “near Ellie’s Brown Ale” on the homebrew scale. I know, I don’t expect the recipe (or even a recipe), but some hint to the percents of the 4 grists would go a long way to helping me out.
And lo and behold, I receive a reply:
Ok, ok. You asked nice so here ya go:

2 row 85%
2 row chocolate 5%
Munich 10L 5%
c-120L 5%

Bullion (boil)
Sterling (boil +30)
Fuggle (end of boil- not alot but not a little either)

18 IBUs
1028 yeast

1.056 OG / 1.014 FG

Hope this is enought to get started. Good brewing to ya!
—Adam Avery
President/Brewmaster
Avery Brewing Company
I’m in brewer-beer-clone heaven! Except – hmmm. Adam says to use Sterling, but the brewery web site mentions Cascade. Sterling is a cross between Saaz/Hallertau. Perhaps I should use Cascade? Especially since I have some around… Hmmm…

My recipe, based on the above:

Grist:
9.50 lbs American Pale 2 row (85.2%)
0.55 lbs Crystal 120L (4.9%)
0.55 lbs Munich 10L (4.9%)
0.55 lbs Chocolate (4.9%)
In theory: 1.059 O.G. at 72.5% efficiency (mash 60min at 155)

Hops:
0.5 oz Bullion / pellet – boil 60 minutes
0.5 oz Sterling (or Saaz or Hallertau) or Cascade / pellet – boil 30 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles / pellet or leaf – 0 minutes (add in whirlpool) (note after the fact: use a little less next time, maybe 0.4oz)
In theory (according to my brewing software), this sets the hopping at 20IBU (using Tinseth method)

I’ll be using White Labs WLP002 – English Ale as that’s what I currently have, instead of Wyeast 1028. (I've read online that White Lab's WLP013 London Ale Yeast is essentially the same as Wyeast 1028 here)

[EDIT: final volume, 5 US gallons. You'll want ~6 US gallons at the start of the boil to achieve this. ]]

The recipe came out great, the malt bill perfectly match the flavor from the Avery bottles. I had a tiny bit too much aroma hop compared to their beer, but it was still absolutely delicious. I would use Cascade only if I can't get one of the others, I used Sterling and it was perfect.
Last edited by MrSmooth on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thank you very much for the recipe MrSmooth. I will look forward to brewing that and let you know what I think. Of course, being here in the UK means I cannot compare it to Avery's original but I will certainly have fun brewing and enjoy drinking it. Once again, many thanks for your time and trouble. :wink:

Good Health to you.
Regards,

Phil.