Switched to wet+DE, face cleared, then went bad again…

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

One thing a lot of people forget is to use clean towels and washcloths after the shave. Your face has just had a top layer of skin effectively removed and is highly susceptible to bacterial infection. Change linens everday if you have to, and also make sure your pillowcases are clean. It's kind of like washing your hands in the bathroom and then touching the filthy door handle on the way out.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
95%

Post by 95% »

Bob, I think "highly susceptible" is an overstatement - we needn't become bacteriophobes or be obsessed with cleanliness like Marcel Proust - but I agree in principle with what you say. I find myself washing my towels, washcloths, and bedclothes very frequently these days.
Porter
GoClick

Post by GoClick »

I certainly can't change my pillowcases every day. The wash cloth, probably not every day either. I use one to pre-heat my face, and one just to dry it (nothing else) but I can't wash 14 more face cloths and seven pillows a week, doing laundry costs $12/load or we have to drive to my parent's to do it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My God, Bob! Who knew you were such a germophobe....and in rough and tough Lubeck at that ( chuckle ). Still, it's something to keep in mind, especially for those experiancing seemingly chronic skin problems.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

I don't think Bob was advocating extremes, just common sense. I know a bachelor who probably hasn't washed an article of clothing or anything else in the last 12 months. That's the sort of hygiene-deprived lifestyle we should all avoid.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

I take mine down by the water's edge and hit 'em between some big rocks, then I wring 'em out and lay 'em over the bushes to dry in the sun. Just when I get one all broke in and I'm used to it, my lovely SWMBO comes by and runs it through the washing machine, so I gotta start all over again. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GoClick

Post by GoClick »

I've got to repost my images here because I deleted my photobucket account, that site really is horrible.

Day 0 left
Day 0 chin
Day 0 right

Day 3 left
Day 3 chin image lost
Day 3 right

and the new stuff, improvement has stalled.

I've been doing two with the grain strokes after a shower and reapplying the lather between (obviously) I follow up with an astringent & alcohol.

Day 11 left
Day 11 chin
Day 11 right
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

Maybe cut out either the astringent or the alcohol. Really, you probably could cut out the astringent and use alcohol because it is an astringent in its own right. You may be over drying your face from it. Less is better in this case. Give that a try for a few days and see if it makes any improvement.
Eric
GoClick

Post by GoClick »

I don't find my face overly dry at all, perhaps I've been cleaning my face with alcohol so long it's overcompensating.

I'll give it a shot.