Safe Deposit Box for Shaving Stash?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Safe Deposit Box for Shaving Stash?

Post by brothers »

It occurred to me last week that I probably should store my extra shaving stuff, beyond about a year's supply of what I currently use and rotate through, in my safe deposit box at the bank. That way I won't stand a risk of losing it, in any one of a number of hypothetically possible ways. Right now, it's sitting in a series of plastic storage bins in the back of the closet. This does mean I'll have to upgrade to a larger box at the bank, of course. Doesn't this sound like a rational course of action?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gary, why have a bank gouge you the extra fee? Why even trust a bank, for that matter? :)

Seriously, there's also the question of quick access. Probably better to pick a secure spot at home.
Ron
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

bury it in the back yard :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
fatcity

Post by fatcity »

How about a tontine? any takers?
HH
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, In a word, 'no'......it's a seriously neurotic shavegeek sort of notion. The plastic bins in the closet are bad enough ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hmmmm... let's forget I asked. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe the better course of action in the event of an unexpected loss of all or most of the shaving gear stored on premises would be a spirited and motivated international internet shopping adventure, which would probably be a very pleasant experience, within a specified budget, of course!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Of course.
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

bernards66 wrote:it's a seriously neurotic shavegeek sort of notion
Regards,
Gordon
:lol: hahaha... even we at SMF have our limitations!
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

fatcity wrote:How about a tontine? any takers?
From Wikipedia:

The basic concept is simple. Each investor pays a sum into the tontine. Each investor then receives annual dividends on his capital. As each investor dies, his or her share is reallocated amongst the surviving investors. This process continues until only one investor survives. Each subscriber receives only dividends; the capital is never paid back. The proceeds of the subscription were used to fund various private or public works projects. These sometimes contained the word "tontine" in their name, as did the Tontine Coffee House on Wall Street in New York City. Built in 1792, it was the first home of the New York Stock Exchange. In a later variation, the capital would devolve upon the last survivor, effectively dissolving the trust and usually making the survivor very wealthy; it is this version that has often been the plot device for mysteries and detective stories.
Gary

fatcity

Post by fatcity »

I was thinking more of The Wrong Box
Last edited by fatcity on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HH
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks to be an excellent story. Thanks for the reference. I'm going to plan to read it as soon as I finish the book I'm reading now.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary I like to keep my shaving stuff within reach. Of course half of it is at the office but that's still within reach, relatively speaking.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

AHA! A backup stash at an offsite location! Now you're talking.
Gary

maherb

Post by maherb »

brothers wrote:AHA! A backup stash at an offsite location! Now you're talking.
On top of that you should always have supplies in the mail, so that if all fails you have something that is coming soon :D
Avatar is Scarlett Johansson ...
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

+1 on the pipeline idea. As for the avatar, she most certainly is.
Ron
maherb

Post by maherb »

rsp1202 wrote:+1 on the pipeline idea. As for the avatar, she most certainly is.
beautiful isn't she
Avatar is Scarlett Johansson ...
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

Are you worried that burglars are going to break in and steal some of your shaving cream?

If I ever lose any of my shaving gear, my plan is to buy some more. :lol:
Jim

cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

This reminds me of George Carlin's observation "Have you noticed that their stuff is sh!t and your sh!t is stuff?"

Meaning if a burglar breaks into a house and sees a box of old razors and brushes chances are he'll say "eww" not "OMFG a Fatboy."

In fact you might want to put your armageddon bullion under a bunch of shave accoutrements to keep it safe.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think buying more stuff is the best approach. A bar or plastic jar of soap or cream is probably the most innocuous-appearing article we can possibly have. Around these parts, I suspect the risk of loss is probably more weather-related, than anything else. If or when the tornado does go through, the news reports show the folks wandering around poking around among the wreckage looking for their stuff. The sad truth is that the stuff that would be scattered around where I used to live is the stuff that belongs to a hundred other folks, and my stuff is about 15 miles away distributed throughout other people's trees and yards.
Gary