Placement of your brush........

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
flyfoxx

Placement of your brush........

Post by flyfoxx »

Greedings,

I know this is an old and tiresome sudject; hopefully the inquiry has a new twist to it. Perhaps, some of the newer members might get some benefit from this rehashing.

With the upper end brushes (true silvertips, finest, supers, extra, whites and etc.), do you tend to use a brush holder/stand, because of their greater worth?

Regards;
Greg
Facing the truth requires that we retain an ongoing openness to the possibility that we may not be seeing ourselves--or others--accurately.
mcplat

Post by mcplat »

For me the jury is still out on this, no matter what type of brush. I've tried both hanging upside down and right side up, both seem to work well. I think drying up it may dry more quickly than upside down, but I've never timed it, just off chance observations. It is supposed to dry because of capillary action, right side up.

Whatever you do, flick as much water out as possible....I've taken to lightly brushing a towel (buffing) to get additional moisture out. My Plisson is at least ten years old and no problems so far.

Anyone else want to chime in??

Best, Michael
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

I think hanging upside down is the correct way to dry out the brush because if reduces the chance of water damaging the handle of the brush. I agree you need to extract as much water a you can before you hang your brush. I am thinking about making a shelf with cutouts for my brushes so they can all hang upside down while on display. At present I hang my brush upside down until it is completely dry and then I stand it up on it's handle on my shelf.

When I said "I am thinking about making me a shelf with cutouts" I ment to say is, I am thinking about finding someone with wood working skills to make me a shelf with cutouts. I'm sure I own a saw , but I don't remember who I lent it to. I think my son-in-law has it, or was that neighbor who moved away? Or did SWMBO sell it at the yard sale?

Home Depot here I come
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Dick Danger

Post by Dick Danger »

I have an old Shavemac travel brush that I used a great deal at one time, it's at least 7-8 years old. A towel dry was all it ever got. When I was going to be in a hotel for more than one night I'd leave it out, most of the time though all it got was a towel buff and then it went back in the tube. It still lathers today as well as it ever did.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I'm a firm believer in the capillary action and the fact that brushmakers put a flat end on the handle so it can stand up straight. I would just make sure to shake out as much as I can, then either stand it up or hang it from a stand, your choice.

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Each time this topic comes up we find that it is about a 50/50 division on the use of brush stands. I have two stands that I received as lagniappe with the purchase of a shaving brush, since I have them I rotate my five regularily used brushes through them. They hang up for a day or two and then are placed on their base. Had I not received them all of my brushes would stand on their base after receiving a proper towel drying.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Count me in the camp that doesn't use a stand. Chris M's explanation is what convinced me. Basically, he said once you get the excess water out of a brush - that which can be shaken out or dried with a towel - gravity will have no effect on the moisture that remains in the head. This is due to capillary action, as others here have stated. At that point, evaporation is what dries the brush most effectively. Evaporation could actually be hampered by hanging the brush upside down, as moisture tends to evaporate up. In a brush hanging upside down, moisture would have to evaporate down and to the side in order to get out of the handle. I gave up using stands a good nine or so months ago, and I have yet to have any problems. For what it is worth, Simpson advertises their brushes do not need stands.

Nathan
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I don't use a stand except for my SMF brush. I really don't see the need for one.
threeputt

Post by threeputt »

I'm with Tony, I carefully squeeze, shake/towel buff, then hang it for a day. After that I stand it up to complete the drying process. Probably overkill, but it's what I do. I like the idea of a shelf with cutouts, but I don't have anywhere to put one. The wall behind both vanities in our bath is completely covered by mirror. Too much mirror, actually. I'd like to rip out these huge walls of mirror and put in regular medicine cabinet style mirrors. That would make room for shelves and shelves of toys! A project for a later date I guess. ........Jeff
flyfoxx

Post by flyfoxx »

Sorry for the typo greetings not (greedings) :oops:
Facing the truth requires that we retain an ongoing openness to the possibility that we may not be seeing ourselves--or others--accurately.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I have fuzzy velcro glued to the bottoms of my smaller brushes (including the Vulfixx travel) so they hang from velcro hooks glued to the underside of the shelf in the bathroom. The travel brush hangs from a velcro cable tie wrapped around the motel towel bar. The SMF brush has dedicated stands due to it's weight and pretty medallion.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
flyfoxx

Post by flyfoxx »

JackieMartling wrote:Count me in the camp that doesn't use a stand. Chris M's explanation is what convinced me. Basically, he said once you get the excess water out of a brush - that which can be shaken out or dried with a towel - gravity will have no effect on the moisture that remains in the head. This is due to capillary action, as others here have stated. At that point, evaporation is what dries the brush most effectively. Evaporation could actually be hampered by hanging the brush upside down, as moisture tends to evaporate up. In a brush hanging upside down, moisture would have to evaporate down and to the side in order to get out of the handle. I gave up using stands a good nine or so months ago, and I have yet to have any problems. For what it is worth, Simpson advertises their brushes do not need stands.

Nathan
Nathan,

So, are you and others, are saying that it is just an ineffectual marketing ploy by the manufacturers? A mere add-on item we do not need.

-Greg-
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Greg, given my whole jaundiced view of marketers and advertising, I could easily take that perspective - but I won't. I tend to think the whole notion of a brush stand came about because it seems like a good idea. Logically, it makes sense: have gravity pull the water away from where you don't want it to be, namely the center of the handle. It's only through a more scientific undertanding (thanks to Chris M.) that one realizes that the water tension vis a vis capillary action is actually stronger than gravity, at least on moisture that remains after a good shaking and towel buffing. So, this one time, I'll cut the marketers some slack. But they better not do it again!

Nathan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Greg, Actually, the conventional wisdom is the reverse, that is; the really good hand made brushes do NOT need a stand, but with cheaper machine made ones, a stand is a wise precaution. I've always used stands, but it's just from habit, I don't think they're necessary, not for quality brushes anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
flyfoxx

Post by flyfoxx »

That's very interesting, I never knew that. Now that makes sense to me.
I got it!!!!

-Greg-
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I have a stand that I alternate with my two Shavemac brushes. The one thing I am sure of is that I have never come back and found that water had dripped from the brush.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, I'd never heard that either, except for what Simpson had said about their brushes. It sounds good though. I guess that article I was going to try to get published in Silvertip Quarterly needs a bit of revision now. :wink:
English

Post by English »

I do not think it makes any difference as long as you shake off the water (gently) and leave the brush in the open to dry.

I think boiling water ( noy very hot water) can damage the bristles as can rough drying on a towel. A crack in the handle near the brush head will eventually lead to the brush head falling out.

Generally though, if you show a little respect and apply common sense, most quality badger brushes will outlive their owners.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Here's some grist for the mill. My Plissons (the first I've received in the original packaging) came with a little slip from the company that recommends hanging them upside down on a stand following use. Just for the heck of it, I did, and I was a bit surprised. Normally, after several hours, the brush tips feel dry if the brush has been standing upright. After the same period of time hanging upside down, the tips on my #16 were decidedly wet, as if water was draining out of the knot and down the hairs. Nothing was dripping off - it wasn't like they were saturated, but they did seem wetter than normal. So, I guess I'm not as settled on this matter as I thought I was.

Nathan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

nathan: ever stick your index finger into the middle of the brush, down to the handle, after you shaved in the morning and dried the brush, and then find out it is moist in that area where the finger is? i do, so i can imagine that hanging the brush upside down will cause excess water to drain down, from a recess into the tips. however, i do believe that once surface water is wrung or shaken out, the capillary effect, such as sweat being wicked away from the skin, will take over. by morning, either way, assuming the brush is shaken really well, it would not matter, both being dry to the bone. my two cents, and i am sticking to it, lol

sam