Greatest Shaves of my Life Continue

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

Because when I use a brushless I will first use it as a preshave whereby I apply it to the face then wrap the face in a hot towel. When I remove the towel, I also remove the brushless cream and re-apply a 2nd coat. The customers who like me to use it for a face shave also like it for a neck shave so I use it there also.
I should have been more clear and said that "I" get about 10-15 shaves or so out of 1 jar. Obviously, using it at home 1 time a day would probably triple or quadruple its use.
Sorry
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Because when I use a brushless I will first use it as a preshave whereby I apply it to the face then wrap the face in a hot towel. When I remove the towel, I also remove the brushless cream and re-apply a 2nd coat. The customers who like me to use it for a face shave also like it for a neck shave so I use it there also.
I should have been more clear and said that "I" get about 10-15 shaves or so out of 1 jar. Obviously, using it at home 1 time a day would probably triple or quadruple its use.
Sorry
That sounds fine, because you're hydrating the beard. Not to be dogmatic, but my concern is that merely slapping oil onto a dry face won't hydrate or soften the beard, and I wouldn't want newbies who come here for advice to start following such a protocol. For the vast majority of men, shaving an unsoftened beard = trouble. I think anyone coming to SMF to learn to shave would be well advised to learn the basics of wet-shaving, which are pretty much universal, rather than going with oil-on-dry-skin.

Obviously, the use of a brush is one method of delivering moisture and lather. But -- equally clearly -- it is not the only method of wetting and lathering. A hot towel followed by a quality brushless lather is certainly reasonable. But, as far as I can see, in order for most men to get a proper shave, WATER must be delivered to the beard -- by whatever method -- in a manner that softens the hair prior to shaving.

So while anyone is obviously entitled to do whatever they wish with their own shaving routine (heck, I don't care if someone wants to shave with broken glass and motor oil, it doesn't bother ME), I am concerned that newbies get good advice about proper beard preparation.

The hot-towel technique followed by brushless sounds like a more generally applicable method than just slapping some oil onto a dry face and shaving. Water, water, water, water, water . . . . .
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Just because this method works for some of us doesn't mean it's the ONLY method out there. There's absolutely nothing wrong with whatever works for anyone. There's also nothing wrong with trying something new.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Of course anyone can shave in the manner of his own choice. No argument here.

The point, however, is that the need for beard-softening is not some subjective point of personal preference. It's fundamental to good technique. The fact that one individual in this rare instance prefers this dry method doesn't change the fact that it's not a good approach for most shavers. And I'm concerned that newbies here may be mis-directed into thinking this is a good idea for them - and one an an equal footing with traditional wet shaving.

My basic point is that many men come to SMF to try to learn proper technique. They need to hear a bit more than, "Well, everybody just does whatever and it's all good." There are some fundamentals that are objective and generally applicable, and beard-hydration is clearly one of them.

So by all means, to each his own. But let's not just shrug off the fact (and it IS a fact, not an opinion) that beard-softening with water is a key fundamental of proper blade shaving.

For backup, see just for example the recent National Geographic videos, or consider this quote from Gillette's web-site:

"Hydration is also key: Hydrating not only opens pores to help cleanse your skin, but also softens your hair, making it easier to cut. A hot shower is ideal; however, if simply washing at a sink, hydrate your face and neck for up to 3 minutes. Fact: Hydrating can reduce the force required to cut beard hair by up to 70%."

Or from Schick:

". . . shave after a shower when hair is fully saturated with water.
Next apply a thick layer of shaving cream or gel, and allow it to sit on skin approximately three minutes. Keeps moisture on the skin to enhance softening. "

Or from Trumpers:

"Hot Water
The first essentials to a perfect shave are water and warmth. When hair absorbs hot water it becomes softer and easier to cut and with warmth the skin and facial muscles become relaxed, making shaving so much easier - thus the best time to shave is after a bath or shower. This effect can also be achieved by soaking a folded flannel or small towel in hot water and wrapping it around the face for thirty seconds or more."

Or this from Truefitt & Hill:

"You need a shower. Seriously. Shaving in (or immediately after) a hot shower provides the closest shave possible. If a shower is out of the question prepare a hot, moist towel and place it on your face for 2-3 minutes prior to shaving. This opens up the pores of the skin and soften the whiskers."

Or this from Taylors of Old Bond Street:

"Always use hot water before shaving to soften the beard, open the pores and cleanse the skin. "

Or from Williams:

"Don't spare hot water."

Or from Wilkinson:

"Have a hot shower and then prepare your beard with a good quality foam or gel to soften the hair and make sure bristles can be cut without pulling and irritating the skin. "

Or from Edwin Jagger:

"Prior to shaving, gently wash the face with hot water or steam with a small towel / flannel soaked in hot water. This softens the beard and relaxes the face muscles."

My goal here is not to infringe anyone's freedom of expression or experimentation, but rather to be sure that less experienced shavers aren't led astray into thinking that skipping hydration is an equally good method. So, happy shaving to all, but if you came to SMF to learn how to shave, I would strongly urge you to learn about beard preparation with hot water, proper lathering, DE razors, razor angle, no pressure, etc. and move on from the methodology propounded by the author of this post.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I don't think anyone has ever said that hydration isn't needed or necessary and I doubt that Pete or anyone else thinks or says that his way is the only way. There are a lot more threads here esposing hydration than there are Pete's method. A simple 'search' would more than likely back that up. I thought the militant wetshaving forum was whisker and weasel, not this one.

-Tye
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I don't think anyone has ever said that hydration isn't needed or necessary and I doubt that Pete or anyone else thinks or says that his way is the only way. There are a lot more threads here esposing hydration than there are Pete's method. A simple 'search' would more than likely back that up. I thought the militant wetshaving forum was whisker and weasel, not this one.

-Tye
Well, some of this goes back to this earlier posting from November 15th: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

In it, ouchmychin wrote, "I have been posting that I use only brushless shave cream without water for my shaves." So, my take on this is as a follow-on to the earlier discussion, which clearly WAS describing a no water regimen.

That was followed in this December 2nd posting: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

In it ouchmychin wrote, "I haven't tried PSO but I use Shave Secret without the bemefit of water." (sic)

So, clearly this no-water method is being propounded, and I feel it's very reasonable to put it into perspective so that it doesn't confuse the unwary.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

BeatlesFan wrote:

-Tye
Well, some of this goes back to this earlier posting from November 15th: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

In it, ouchmychin wrote, "I have been posting that I use only brushless shave cream without water for my shaves." So, my take on this is as a follow-on to the earlier discussion, which clearly WAS describing a no water regimen.

That was followed in this December 2nd posting: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

In it ouchmychin wrote, "I haven't tried PSO but I use Shave Secret without the bemefit of water." (sic)

So, clearly this no-water method is being propounded, and I feel it's very reasonable to put it into perspective so that it doesn't confuse the unwary.
Methinks you give to much credence to the postings of an alternative shaving method. I myself have always known that you most likely need wet whiskers in order to get a decent shave. I'm sure that unless we're getting guys fresh from the vats who have never heard of a razor before also know the same thing.

-Tye
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Chuckle . . you may be right! Still, I notice you have 2000+ posts, so I'm going to assume that you are a fairly experienced wet-shaver. YOU would appear to be VERY knowledgeable on the subject, and very unlikely to be led off the tried-and-true path. However, many men come here because they are experiencing problems with mass-marketed razor and lather options, and need to learn proper technique. THOSE are the folks that I'm concerned about.

H2o. Can't beat it baby!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Please,,gentlemen! When I posted that I don't use water to shave I should also say that I shave after a hot shower and my whiskers have had ample time to hydrate before I start. When I first read of this method I had been troubled by whiskers that were so soft that they would lay over against my skin to avoid being cut closely. I had to polish with a dry shave after all passes to get bbs close. That proved to be very irritating and I went searching for some altrnative. The only water involved with this technique is what sticks to the head of the razor as it is rinsed. The brushless cream is rubbed into the beard until it almost disappears, before starting the shave. It is the grease that lubricates my skin and lets me finish with a polish without the normal irritation. The cream itself seems to come off on the razor blade during the first passes, so it is hardly necessary to rinse my face. I do rinse anyhow, but the stuff feels a bit like a shaving balm.
Ouchmychin (Pete)