MOTD- Martini Of The Day

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John, I'll take EW over Jack any day.
Regards,
Squire
Mint

Post by Mint »

Between my whiskey, bourbon, and beer, I've just never found much time for a martini. I probably just don't know what I'm missing...

Maybe if I burned the alcohol out of my whiskey some day to make room for a martini... They don't make non-alcoholic liquor by any chance, do they?

Oh life's just full of tough choices and compromise :(
stubblebum

Post by stubblebum »

Plymouth, Noilly, Orange Bitters, yum
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Tonight, I think my wee dram will be 12yr Glen Moray. Perfect for a nice wintery evening.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

OK, make that a 12yr Tomatin instead, looking at my cabinet and seeing a bottle and a half of Tomatin sitting there, time to work on them. :D
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Today's martini: Junipero gin, a tiny bit of Noilly Prat vermouth. Junipero is absolutely fantastic!

Pricey, though. For an affordable martini, it's hard to beat Gordon's.

Dave
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

DavidB wrote:Today's martini: Junipero gin, a tiny bit of Noilly Prat vermouth. Junipero is absolutely fantastic!

Dave
I agree wholeheartedly with both sentiments. It's about time I splurged on Junipero again.
John
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

DavidB wrote:Today's martini: Junipero gin, a tiny bit of Noilly Prat vermouth. Junipero is absolutely fantastic!

Dave
I agree wholeheartedly with both sentiments. It's about time I splurged on Junipero again.
John
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Dave
John
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thought I'd reactive this thread...

My best bud likes his martinis very dry, so mostly we drink Bombay Sapphire martinis, no vermouth, with olives or a twist. But ever since my brother bought me a book called "The Martini," I've been wanting to get back to martinis with vermouth. Noilly Pratt has been my go-to vermouth, but I picked up a bottle of Dolin dry vermouth to try something different.

I just now mixed myself a martini with 1.5 oz. of Gordons and a cap full of Dolin (not sure what ratio that is). Added three Castelvertrano olives and man, is this a lovely martini!

Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Yikes....is 3am to early for one of those......sounds delicious even to this non martini guy :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Try using Scotch Whisky instead of Vermouth if you like a really dry martini.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Rufus wrote:Try using Scotch Whisky instead of Vermouth if you like a really dry martini.
Never heard of that one, but sounds interesting!

Dave
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

What I know about martini's could fit on the head of a pin. Though I do like the gin, probably my favorite liquor. I would like to learn more about martini's and quality gin in general. Any recommendations as there seems to be quite a selection of gin these days?
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

DavidB wrote:
Rufus wrote:Try using Scotch Whisky instead of Vermouth if you like a really dry martini.
Never heard of that one, but sounds interesting!

Dave
I should add that you should use a blended Scotch as opposed to a single malt, which would likely over power the gin/vodka. You don't want to taste the Scotch so use it sparingly.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Quarterstick wrote:What I know about martini's could fit on the head of a pin. Though I do like the gin, probably my favorite liquor. I would like to learn more about martini's and quality gin in general. Any recommendations as there seems to be quite a selection of gin these days?
Because of the many flavorings used in the distillation process (juniper berries, along with lemon and bitter orange peel, anise, coriander, angelica root, and other botanicals), gins vary widely, and everyone has their favorites. Here's a pretty good SMF discussion on the topic: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... hlight=gin

I have not tried a ton of gins, and am by no means an expert, but here are some of my faves:

Gordon's: ~$10 a bottle, affordable, really nice, my house gin
Beefeaters: ~$15 a bottle, licorice notes, nice gin
Bombay Sapphire: ~$20 a bottle, very popular, my best friend's fave, so the one I drink when he's over
Junipero: ~$30 a bottle, heavy on juniper, my absolute fave and the one I treat myself to once in a while
Plymouth: ~$30 a bottle, smooth, smooth smooth; I believe Churchill's favorite (and he was a gin guy)

Dave
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

MrSmooth wrote:IMO, the perfect gin and tonic gin... Tanq10 makes a good, if a touch citrusy, martini, tho.
I'm late to the game on this thread, but I agree 100% with this. I do love to Tanqueray.
Regards,
Mike
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Boodles, a favorite (along with Plymouth) of Travis McGee. It's a very good martini gin. Gordon's is my everyday gin, and it really makes a fine martini -- better than many of the premium varieties. In a restaurant, I usually order Tanqueray. Everyone serves it.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Decades ago I was riding with a rep who worked for my client. Toward the end of the day he asked if I wanted a martini. Told him I'd wait, he shrugged, pulled a bottle of gin out from under the seat and poured a 'martini' down his throat. Replacing the cap he commented, "I don't bother with the olives and stuff".
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gin-soaked olives reside just about here on my Food Pyramid:

Ron