Hardtop Convertibles

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Hardtop Convertibles

Post by Sam »

I have a 2002 Toyota Solara, approaching 145,000 miles. Struts on the back are totally shot, seat belt will not retract automatically, oil leak on top, probably shocks, needs other repairs and a piece of the side door molding needs replaced. With a car that needs about $1500 or more in repairs probably in the next year, and worth about $4000, I am probably not going to put the money into it.

So, I am looking at hard top convertibles. Dont know anyone who owns one other than a Mercedes. I guess I could consider a used MB but realistically, the pricepoints on those are too high. I am considering one of the following: Infinity G37; BMW 328i; Volvo S70 and the Audi A4. Im not a big Audi fan and think they run more $$ for similarly equipped competing vehicle lines. Have not driven one yet, so I will keep an open mind. The Volvo will probably be my most price competitive. I found a 2007 with 19000 miles for $25k, and the 2007 BMW with 14,000 miles was $38K. I think the Volvo will be cheapest, then the Infinity, then the Audi then the BMW for what I am looking for, a 2008 late model (more later) or 2009 with 14,000 miles or so. The later in the year that the car went into service, the longer I have on the 3 year and mileage warranties, which gives me longer to make sure that all problems are fixed. I put on about 19,000 miles a year, so I at least get two full years of mileage warranty if I stick around 14,000, and if I go 2008, I need to make sure the car was put into service say after September so I dont run out of time warranty before I exceed the mileage.

I dont like two seaters as sometimes I may have a third passenger, and it also allows a little extra storage if we go out of town. My Solara was good on the road and yes, the hardtop will cut down on wind noise, but I think the lines look cleaner. BMW went with a 100 series rag top and heck, it is about what the cost of the 3 series sedan is, but, is not appointed as nice on the inside. I may consider it if I can't find something used, say 2009 model in the lines I am looking for with 14,000 miles or less and less than $35,000.

Anyone have a hard top or one of these cars more specifically? Any advice? PM me if you need to.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I worked for a Volvo mechanic and my two 240 wagons, superb as they were became cost prohibitive to maintain. I was in the shop when the lead mechanic/shop supervisor dropped by for a hard to find part. I still recall the conversation as ' You're going to LOVE the new S70' -dramatic pause as I contemplated another technological leap forward by swedish engineers-' the reliabilty is gone. My boss did LOVE S 70s for his income.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Sam, I drive a 2007 BMW 320d Coupe, so basically the same as you've been looking at, but without the folding roof.

They're a fantasic drive, with excellent handling and cornering. Ride is quite firm, but this is only due to the stiffness of the suspension. Performance, as one would expect, is excellent. It would be even better in a 328i. They're also beautiful looking cars which are well built, functional, and generally have no reliability issues.

I will almost certainly be buying another BMW coupe next, hopefully a 335d.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam - have you thought about a VW EOS? 4 seats, decent price.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wendell, it is a smaller car, and the price tag is not much cheaper than the 1 series BMW. I saw an EOS on a lot with a $39,000 price tag. When you get to comparing similarly equipped cars, say a Infiniti leather seats, heated, etc. with the similar EOS, you may be talking $4000 difference, as the leather is more on the EOS and standard on the Infinity.
function

Post by function »

Sam - In my area we have a couple dealerships with a boatload of new 2009 Infinitys. Still being winter and the economy being what it is, they may be willing to play "lets make a deal." If any still have the stock in July, the wife is going to offer $30k and tell them take it or leave it on a G37x
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
JakAHearts

Post by JakAHearts »

Dont count out that the BMW will have free service maintenance during your warranty period with the option to buy the extended up to 100k. Silly not to buy that car with the ext. maint. warranty imho.

Shane
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

function wrote:Sam - In my area we have a couple dealerships with a boatload of new 2009 Infinitys. Still being winter and the economy being what it is, they may be willing to play "lets make a deal." If any still have the stock in July, the wife is going to offer $30k and tell them take it or leave it on a G37x
Do they have a website? Id consider saving a bunch and flying up there and driving back home
function

Post by function »

Sam wrote:
function wrote:Sam - In my area we have a couple dealerships with a boatload of new 2009 Infinitys. Still being winter and the economy being what it is, they may be willing to play "lets make a deal." If any still have the stock in July, the wife is going to offer $30k and tell them take it or leave it on a G37x
Do they have a website? Id consider saving a bunch and flying up there and driving back home
http://www.cochraninfinitiofsouthhills.com/index.htm

I know logical drivers here buy the AWD vehicles, because snow+hills+RWD=deductible payment. Did not check for convertibles though.

*function has no affiliation with this dealership, in fact he finds the commercials featuring the owner moderately annoying, and went to high school with the daughter of the previous owner and feels quite bad he is no longer in that business
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I am considering one soft top, the 1 series BMW.
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Sam

Go to the BMW website and conduct a search for a certified (CPO) 328 convertible. You'll see what's for sale nationally, including local dealerships. You'll pay a bit more but the extended warranty coverage period can easily pay for itself. My last two daily drivers were/are BMW's, a 2002 M3 convertible and currently a '07 335 coupe. The M3 had a $3000+ differential replaced in 2009 under warranty.

My wife has a 2003 Volvo V40 that she insists she'll drive until her or the car is at death's door - we'll see.
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Steve, thanks. I am inclined to get a BMW, whether the 3 series hard top of the 1 series rag top. 90% of the time it is me alone, so rear room does not matter. I do worry about trunk space in case we go on vacation or to the lake. Rear leg room not as much of a concern. the Infinity from what I have read has the Japanese reliability and is trying to mimic the performance of the BMW. The EOS is too small, and the Volvo would not be as much fun and I dont know that the price differential is much to make me think of it as a value. I might consider the 2007 year model (they have a black 3 series with 14,000 miles for $38k on lot) if the extended warrant for a certified pre owned covers everything the original warranty does. Id even be happy if it excluded the scheduled maintenance. That would give me 3 years time and 86,000 miles and I will bump up against mileage if the time were any shorter.
diggity

Post by diggity »

Sam, as a BMW owner, definitely get one with a warranty and sell it when the warranty expires. Even the certified extended warranty only covers certain things....not a lot to warrant the cost IMO
Nathan
JakAHearts

Post by JakAHearts »

Whered my post go? I swear I posted another in here. Anyway, my opinion is slightly biased but I honestly believe the BMW is the way to go. Just make sure youre comparing apples to apples when looking. 335i twin turbo is a bit different than a standard 328i.

Shane
diggity

Post by diggity »

That twin turbo that they have is just amazing......I have it in my 535 and it has a ton of pickup.
Nathan
Gene

Post by Gene »

Sam, my wife and I just turned in her 2007 Solara convertible (lease). I really liked it, although it was my wife's daily driver. Well, there was one thing we didn't like - visibility out the sides was tough.

If I had known we could have talked - 2007 with <39K miles...nice shape!

We talked about replacing it with the BMW 330, but she decided on a Rav4 instead.

I notice that the Solara missed getting caught up in the recalls.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I would go with the 328 model. Bucks and all, the extra horsepower and all is really lost on me. I dont need any navigation system as I have the maps app on a phone, or I print out directions on Mapquest and even then, most everything is interstate driving. I am more concerned with things like, well for example, the C series MB, my wife's car, the rear tires are different sizes then the front. No rotation means that I guess one pair wear out quickly and those tires are like $250 a tire. I really dont need seat warmers, and could live without the automatic garage door opener that is built into the overhead sunshield or mirror. I dont need Satellite radio as, well, most days I am in the car 30 minutes or less, and on extended road trips, wife is with me.

I am wanting something more than say a Honda B-2000 or Mazda Miata, but really cant or wont spend the money for the $50,000 list of a Audi or BMW 3 series. I am hard on cars, in that I seem to hit every pot hole or something makes my tires wear out faster, though I get an alignment every two years, rotate tires every 10,000 miles and oil changes ever 5000 miles.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gene, my Solara was reliable. Very few repairs and nothing that warranty did not cover outside brakes, tires, things like that. I disliked how the top was not under a boot, and that it would flap up and down in the wind. Sure, I have the boot in the trunk, but it is a hassle to get out, put it on, take it off, etc, etc. Yet in 2002, the BMW 3 series rag top was only aboyt 6 to 8k more than what I got the Solara for. The Solara is a nice car, and has great pickup, but the ride is more akin to the Volvo - steering is not as responsive as the BMW and were it a skater on ice, the BMW really could dig in around the curves, the Solara would have to take a more rounded, outer loop.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, talked to my mechanic. He used to be the head manager at a facility that had multi-lines, like Jag, Range Rover and he also worked at a Volvo dealership. He told me that with the new line of Lexus, they ride great, but after 100,000 miles, they are the most expensive to fix and everything is electronic and modules need replacing at $1500 each. Said the Volvo almost costs as much to fix, which I would not think would be the case, but the ride is unexceptional.

He has fixed our 2000 BMW and my Solara and says I would like the Infinity for the ride and also the BMW, either the 3 series or the 1 series. Ill go test drive the Infinity today at lunch, but I do like how the BMW looks the best. He says that being an independent shop, he sees all makes and BMWs actually are quite reliable. He knows an independent broker that he checks out all the cars and this guy will shop around auctions and look for me what I want - a one or two year old model, in a white, darker silver/grey or platinum color, with 15,000 miles or so. This gives me 35,000 more in warranty and hopefully two years or so and my mechanic will check it out, and I will come in under $35,000.
JakAHearts

Post by JakAHearts »

Sam, what your mechanic mentioned about modules and electronics needing replaced and the expense holds true for BMW models too when there is a problem. However, dont let that hold you back. I cant stress enough that the extended service contract and extended maintanence are well worth their prices and weight in gold. Dont consider it, just buy them. Youll thank me later.

Shane

PS. Im not sure what prices are like out your way but here in DC, front brakes for a 328i are over 700 dollars. 400 ish for parts and the rest labor. Typically, on the BMW youll need brakes every 13000-18000 miles. Ive seen more and less however, so it really depends on how you drive. Also, just as a reference, the module that runs the headlights on the 328 retails for 471 bucks. That the cheapest module I could think of that gets replaced often. Hope I didnt scare you away from an awesome car.