I have only one shot to buy the right soap... need opinions

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
95%

Post by 95% »

Chris, Trumper's Coconut is one of my favorite soaps, but the scent is hardly in the "fresh" category. It's a bakery scent.
Porter
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Porter, it reminds me of pina colada-type coconut scent, and thus being as fresh in my mind, rather than a macaroon-type coconut. I also threw it out there because it strikes me as an under suggested soap; of the Trumper's soaps, it too was my favorite.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
95%

Post by 95% »

OK Chris, I guess we're in agreement. It's a fresh foodie scent. :)
Porter
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

Buying and using multiple soaps goes against my philosophy of what wetshaving really is about. Rotating soaps doesn't give you enough time to familiarize yourself and bond with your soap. And I really can't afford it too. That is actually the main reason.

I am quite neutral about soaps like T&H, Cade but they are actually quite expensive. Downside to MWF is that it doesn't last as long as the traditional soaps.

With fresh I mean basicly everything that doesn't smell warm, sweet, musk, leather, tabac, sandalwood. I do want high end scents though. MWF, T&H, Cade are high end and fresh scents for me. But Harris arlington on the otherhand smells very cheap to me.
95%

Post by 95% »

Our preference for scents is so personal that no one really can advise us. We simply have to sample them and decide. Unfortunately that can't be done inexpensively. Unlike shaving creams, soaps can't be ordered in small sizes as samples.

All the suggestions given in this thread are good ones, You will eventually settle on one you like. Good luck!
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Well said.
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Porter pretty much hit the nail on the head. We could all recommend a soap to you, and you would probably get a different response from each of us. In fact, looking back briefly on this thread, that seems to has happened anyway.

Now, if I were making recommendations I would say either Harris Lavender or Trumper Almond (which is very traditional, old school and 'floral' in scent. It's not 'foody' like the cream.)

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

The funny part is that our apparent suggestions of a "fresh" scent are totally in different directions. I guess about the only ones that we didn't suggest are the ones that yayavar specifically named that did not meet his definition of fresh.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

You know it is really sometimes so confusing for me. I can not see and smell the product in real life. I also don't have money to buy and try 10 pucks in one go (thats like $100 or more). It seems like such a waste.

I really have to rely on other people's opinions. Please bare with me.
function

Post by function »

yayavarman wrote:I can not see and smell the product in real life.
I appreciate your frustration there. I have found myself very fortunate to have a street not far from me where between three shops I can locate 8 different soaps and 4 creams that are all well respected from reviews I have seen. Even in this case I was not able to smell or try MWF until I purchased a puck from another member.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
95%

Post by 95% »

Yayavarman, you are undoubtedly a very young man. Believe me, this is not one of the more critical decisions you will face in life.

I'd suggest the Valobra soft soap. The scent is pleasant and mild, the shaving characteristics are second to none, and the price is right.
Porter
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

If price is not an issue I will go ahead and second the Penhaligon's english fern. Not only is the scent superb, but the lather is second to none (in my collection) in terms of lather, shave quality, and overall luxury. I would have to say that this soap is my absolute favorite.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
95%

Post by 95% »

Steve, is it tallow or vegetable based, and when/where did you buy it?
Porter
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

porter,
Ihave the tallow version plus 2 refills. I know they went to the veggie base and I am hoping it is still a good soap, I'm sure it will be. I bought it about 2 years ago here in Las Vegas at a specialty shop inside the Wynn.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
95%

Post by 95% »

Steve - I'll have to review the English Fern thread. I would pay $30 if the vegetable version is praised as highly as you just praised the tallow.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

Big Swifty wrote:porter,
Ihave the tallow version plus 2 refills. I know they went to the veggie base and I am hoping it is still a good soap, I'm sure it will be. I bought it about 2 years ago here in Las Vegas at a specialty shop inside the Wynn.
You're a fortunate guy. Hang on to it, because Pen's kinda missed the bull's eye with the new stuff. I sent them an email about a month ago, no response of course, and suggested they check with Trumpers about how to make a reformulated veggie soap that performs almost equally as well as the obsolete tallow based version.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I'm sure they cherished that letter ( chuckle )....about as much as D R Harris's did my communications about the re-formulated A/S Milk.
Regards,
Gordon
petr

Post by petr »

aos lavender. not exactly fresh, but still a good one.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I would put in a vote for D.R. Harris Almond soap. I have very limited ability to describe scents, but I certianly think it is "fresh."

As to lather, IMO, it's among the very best things made.
water

Post by water »

everything that doesn't smell warm, sweet, musk, leather, tabac, sandalwood
Well, that removes everything I like. :)

I have tried a lot of different soaps and now, for the most part, only use one: Trumper's Sandalwood. I occasionally mix in Trumper's Lime or Trumper's Rose, at least until I wear them out; then it will probably be Sandalwood only.